Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Reestablishing Zero Point for Levelers

I've noticed this week that the rear driver's side of the coach is now lower than the rest of the coach. I'm on vacation so how far out of level is not determined. There's no visible signs of any leakage and I've releveled to eliminate settling as the reason. I wonder if the removal of that shim has anything to do with it?
Has anyone out there done the Zero-Point Reset on the levelers. I've read the instructions and it doesn't look too complicated just wondering if there's someone with experience?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #2

I've done it a few times. It does help the unit know what level is more accurately, but I find the automatic adjustments are just too coarse.. It tends to overcompensate and you end up much higher on the jacks than you need to be. I normally just level manually; front jacks to the ground, rear jacks to the ground, level front to back, level side to side, done. It actually faster once you do it a few times. The controls are smart enough in manual mode to stop when it hits level. I used to always check it with a 4-way electronic floor level or bubble level and don't even bother with it anymore.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #3

Yeah Charlie I've done it. Not all that hard. I used a 3' bubble level on the floor in the kitchen on the linoleum and then went through the procedure. I would advise finding a place that is as close to level as you can to do it though. Also once leveled I put peal and stick bubble levels on my drivers door (fore/aft level) and one on the dash (side to side) That way I can watch what it is doing and whether in fact it is getting to the same place each time. It also comes in handy for manual leveling. I have decided though that I don't like how it auto levels anyway. The system is supposed to auto sense the ground, which it does, but it takes it a few seconds and in that time it can put itself more out of level than it was forcing the opposite set of jacks to have to lift higher than they need to. There are many times when we have our front tires completely off the ground and others where one of the 4 jacks never reach the ground in uneven situations before it is level.

My true test is the catch on the back of the bathroom door. If the rig is really level I can walk back and close the door on the catch, if not it won't line up. Really surprising to see the amount of twist you can put into the rig, something I also don't like.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Until recently I never noticed any leaning but I always used the auto-leveling which was dead on. At least in my driveway. I placed a 4 foot level on the floor in every direction and counter-tops in the kitchen and bathrooms and it was fine. Used a two foot level in places also and no problems. I was really impressed it was so accurate. On the last two trips after having the shim removed I noticed it seemed like I was walking downhill into the back bathroom. At first I thought maybe we settled a bit more on that side so I closed everything up and releveled but it still looked and felt the same. So I guess once I get back home I'll reset the Zero-Point and see how it does. I really like the auto feature since I can be doing something else outside while the coach levels.Thanks for the reply, Charlie

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #5

I do the auto level then wait a few hours and tweak it with the manual mode
when i want to be real low to the ground
i do the manual
lippert suggests you should do the zero point recalibrate once every few months.....i guess it forgets