Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #1

Refridgerator

The fridge always cools down to low 30's while on generator power, but usually in the 40's while plugged in, and lucky to be even that low if using propane?
Is this common? It's an 08 Georgetown with 2 door freezer on top model.
Ggantilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #2

Mine takes about 18 hours to get from 75 down to 34 on shore power. It sits at 34 and never seems to move either on shore power or LP. I've never run it for more than an hour two on generator so I don't know on that one.

This is all according to the department store $2.99 refrigerator thermometer that I stuck in there. It's sitting on the shelf just above the light as close to the front as it can be. So I can see it each time I open the fridge.

I don't know how accurate it is. I've never cross checked it.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #3

Plugged into shore power or plugged into a generator should be equivalent since 120v is 120v. You are running the same 120v electric heating element in both cases. It's likely outside factors that cause the descrepency you are seeing. Ambient temps, warm items close to temp sensor, etc. Put something warm next to that sensor and you'll keep it going until the offending object cools down while freezing other things inside.

Ive installed some fans in my flue stack and on the interior fins but my fridge runs a little better on propane than electric. I need to watch setting it at 4 because I'll start freezing things.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote