Old 08-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
Steelhorzz

Refridgerator issue - need advice

I've got a double wide fridge in my 2012 360. On our last trip the fridge stopped working the last night out.
At first I noticed the temp rising on the control panel. Normally during the day is reads 36 degrees, I saw it was 40. Still ok, and I thought it was the combination of the outside temp being 106, and the grandkids constantly opening it to take stuff out.
(We were at a KOA and hooked up to shore power. The afternoon sun was on the side of the coach where the fridge is located.)
Anyway, by morning the temp read 60 degrees! The food in the fridge was warm, the food freezer was all melted.
I pulled everything out and dumped what I felt was no longer safe.
Driving home it was on propane, (the setting I leave it on is Auto when we travel). As the last leg was only 4 hours it did not cool off, but I would not have expected it to in that short period of time, )and we were crossing the desert).
I took it into the dealer about 30 days after. (Could not get an appt. any sooner). They hooked the coach up to an extension cord and called me yesterday to tell me the temp reads 38 degrees. Thus ..... No problem found! My issue, I know it failed, and don't want to head out again not knowing it won't repeat the problem.
They are going to test it again, both on electric and propane.
Anyone have any ideas what might have gone wrong??? Thanks!!!

Old 08-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
ME

Is your fridge residential? Or camping? If camping it might have not been able to keep up with outside temperature and opening often search forum and ebay for kits

Old 08-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

I have the Dometic 4 door side by side fridg and noticed my temp climb to 40 and found the light in the fridg staying on. I pulled the bulb out and the temp came back down to 34. I'm just leaving the bulb out of mine for now and this winter I'll get another door switch for it or not.
Something for you to check any way and make sure the light is going off inside the fridg
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
Steelhorzz

Not sure what you mean residential or camping. It is the fridge that came from the factory in the coach. I have been in triple digits before crossing the AZ desert with no issues. And the nighttime temp went down to 90 so I thought it should have "recovered" by morning. I'm just hoping it "fails" again while at the dealer. My wife is worried the trouble won't be found and it will happen again on our next trip. Thanks for the suggestions. I had added a fan inside the fridge as I saw recommended by others. I had done that a year ago. I did tell the dealer that it usually gets to 33 at night so their reading of 38 Is already 5 degrees higher than it normally reads. I think that's why they are testing it once more. Thanks again !!
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
Steelhorzz

Thanks Mud Yapster. I'll check that light and the switch. Hadn't thought of that. I can see how the fridge would heat up a bit. That could help the lower section But I think whatever happened affected the whole unit as the freezer got hot as well.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #6

I would never trust the digital readout
on the fridge . Mine says 33 all the time and I didn't feel that cold to me so I put my own digital temp in it . It was actually 38. No big deal but when it reads it 38 it was 45 and that is a problem .
Old 08-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #7

dometic RV Fridge

We have a quad door RV Dometic Fridge and have had many problems with it cooling. One time it was the inside bulb, another it was a bad CO2 unit which shut off the fridge, another time the circuit breaker was half on, etc.
Finally we took the light out, installed small fans in the rear at the gills and outside near the fridge 'chimney' and VOILA!!! No problems so far in 100 degree Florida weather this summer.
Good luck.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #8
Steelhorzz

Good point Skidoo772. I shouldn't trust the readout. I have a infrared thermometer I use it to check the AC vent temps. Once I get it back I'll use it to check the fridge as it cools down and see if it is off over the entire range, or if it might actually be accurate! Thanks!!
Old 09-14-2015, 04:46 PM   #9

Have had nothing but problems with Dometic 4 door fridge in 2010 Georgetown 378f since day one. In summer months usually but more frequently now, Temps shoot up to 46-48 during travel and takes 4-5 days to come back down after stopping. Thinking about switching to residential. Anyone have a website to refer me to? What brand fridge works good? ShouldnI just add 2000 watt Xantrex or switch to Xantrex converter/ inverter?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #10

A couple of thoughts
Did you perhaps blow a breaker that sends power to the fridge when you use it on shore power.
4 hours of propane might not be enough to cool down, ammonia based units can a day to cool down, at least that is what I have read...
Since it appears to have weirded out on both AC and propane, and then magically work at the dealers, could the controller board gotten a glitch and just flaked out, when you let the unit sit for 30 days, 12V was off I assume.

Just mu thoughts

Tags
fridge