Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #1

Reliability Issues

We have a 2012 Georgetown and feel we are constantly attending to another repair. This is a long post as I am frustrated and venting!

Right after purchase, the seat and steering wheel needed to be re-aligned, as the driver was seated on an angle and the steering wheel was off-centre. After we used it once a wheel alignment was done. Due to the unusual tire wear, new front tires had to be purchased. (The unit was driven from the US to Canada so had 3,000 km on it when we bought it). As far as I am concerned, this should have been covered by the dealer or under warranty, but wasn't.

The windshield motorized shade no longer works. The microwave works intermittently and currently won't even turn on. All of the faux weather is wearing - with the driver's seat already replaced under warranty. The C02 monitor randomly goes off and no issue can be found. As stated by others, the door magnet is off so the stairs don't retract without a lot of opening and closing. I swear we have an electrical issue. There is only one air conditioner (which we had assumed would be okay as we are only 28 feet), but it can't keep up in the heat. An additional one is a must, as the bedroom gets no air at all. These are the most annoying issues, there are many more minor problems.

The dealership in our area has now dropped Georgetown and will no longer sell them because they feel they got the run around with warranty work.

I have never been so disappointed in a purchase. We have had a travel trailer and fifth-wheel in the past with basically no problems, so we were not prepared for so many issues. We care for our purchases meticulously, so it gets frustrating to constantly have repairs. This unit is only used a couple of weeks a year and is only 2 years old. The question is, do I take a loss and trade it in or continue to repair it and hope there won't be more problems.
northernlites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #2

Have a 373 ds and also MANY PROBLEMS. Seems 2012 was not a good year. How many others are out there? Cant afford to sell or trade as it would require more cash to purchase another. Currently in the shop. Wter heatyer,dash board,hydraulics.
loryray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #3

We have a 2012 378XL and I have had a couple minor issues( steps, drivers seat and heater issue) were the 3 main issues I have. I have been very happy with the GT and FR ability to handle the issues. I watch these post and see the issues others have and I think a lot comes down to the dealer. My dealer once I decided to purchase took 2 days and went through the complete coach to ensure a trouble free experience and that is what I have had. The issues I have were sub components. Hope all your issues get worked out and you can enjoy your MH as we and others have done..
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #4

Yes, a good dealer is key. However, I think Canadians are at a disadvantage when dealing with the manufacturer. It took us 8 months to get a daytime running light replacement from the manufacturer.

We also have a very short window to use our units due to weather, so by the time problems crop up, the warranty has run out.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #5

We have a 2014 Georgetown 351...brought it home this past August...this is the fourth time we have used it...there is always something going wrong...water leak on the back slide, screws falling out of the recliner chair, door handle needed fixing, burnt out bulbs, trim throughout the unit coming loose, edging on the bathroom counter not sealed, we were told the front DVD/radio plays DVDs on the 3 main Tvs-not so, there are gouges on the hitch that would rust if not taken care of, right now we can't get the furnace and water heater to run (heater worked fine this AM, furnace was working 3 days ago). Had no heat in the bathroom, the carbon monoxide/LP detector was going off all the time and we found out it was the wrong one installed. We have not listed everything. How sad is that. When we call the Priority RV Network some want to be paid up front and we can get the money from Forest River and it is always days before they can get you in. We talk about trading too....are there lemon laws for FOREST RIVER!!!
Gram and Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #6

How did you determine the carbon monoxide/LP detector was the incorrect one for the unit? We have the same problem - it randomly goes off and we can't find any leaks. We are going to install a new one, but now I am uncertain if it should be replaced with a different model or brand.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #7

There are always issues with RV's in general. But sounds like you might have a lemon. I've had very few significant issues with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #8

[QUOTE=northernlites;797951]How did you determine the carbon monoxide/LP detector was the incorrect one for the unit? We have the same problem - it randomly goes off and we can't find any leaks. We are going to install a new one, but now I am uncertain if it should be replaced with a different model or brand.[/QUOTE
We brought it in for warranty work and he called Indiana with the numbers from the detector...Indiana told him it was not the right detector for our unit...what it was was only a LP detector, it needed to be a LP and carbon monoxide detector...our warranty tech changed it out and it has been good since.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
There are always issues with RV's in general. But sounds like you might have a lemon. I've had very few significant issues with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Thanks for the note...we keep plugging along.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #10

Too bad. We bought a 337XL new in 2012 and it has never been in a shop.
I have had to fix some minor issues, broken step bolt, water leak in shower, loose screws, things like that. But no major issues and we have done 24,000 miles
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #11

I bought a 2015 377XL last Sept. Drove it fm Canada last Dec to Florida, I now got 4000 miles on it but half of those miles have been going back and forth to dealers around Orlando to get things fixed. Roof cracked, front right spring let go and in the process cracked my fender. ( Ford blaming FR and FR blaming Ford and here I am in the middle.)AC in the bed room went dead, can't empty my grey water I think they let the hole drop in the bottom of the tank therefore now blocking the pipe. The grout for the tiles is almost all gone, loose tiles, shower doors leaked, slide rubbed on the tiles going in and out an made a big gouge. Steering wheel mis-aligned, 2 drawers in the kitchen falling apart and lots more of little things. Well guess what When I get back I'll take the hit $ wise and get rid of it and stay has far as possible from any FR product. I don't even want to be parked beside An FR product, I am starting to have allergic reaction to FR products I Think.

Denis, Forest river Georgetown XL 377 towing a 2014 Ford Explorer.
tilap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #12

OMG...we are think along the same line 😁
Old 03-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #13

OMG...same here I had a 2014-335 and big lemon spend hole summer in the shop slides not working winshild come apart leek motor on jacks burn only camp for 3 weeks so I take a big hit and trade for a 2015 378xl more problems slide doing damage to the floor not alining proper grout come apart back lite burn very desepoing dealer very bad and I have been nothing but nice to this people im thinking of taken another hit no gone to trade this time very sad I was plaining to go full time in one year retire now have to re orgenise my plain very sad lots money don't matter how you do it get a lower involve will cost so take a hit an walk away the good thing about is if you wakup tomorrow is a good thing
borba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #14

Borda did you buy yours at RV Canada? I got a month and a half to go here down south. So we will be doing lots of thinking till we get back home. We might just get out of the lifestyle and by a little chalet here in Florida.

Denis, Forest river Georgetown XL 377 towing a 2014 Ford Explorer.
tilap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #15

yes I did
borba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
Too bad. We bought a 337XL new in 2012 and it has never been in a shop.
I have had to fix some minor issues, broken step bolt, water leak in shower, loose screws, things like that. But no major issues and we have done 24,000 miles
I think you got it right fix the small crap yourself
1. you will know its done and done right
2. you will have the satisfaction of doing
3 no dealer frustration

altho we have had several items taken care of under warranty
I have also taken care of many my self
actually no difference than our stick and brick a few things we should have had our builder correct it was easier to do ourselves
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #17

With the exception of a leaking black water tank flush all of our problems have been cosmetic and nothing that stopped a planned trip. FR approved all items on three different trips to the dealer including installing Kwikee steps. Biggest problem was getting the dealer to do the work when it was promised.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlites View Post
How did you determine the carbon monoxide/LP detector was the incorrect one for the unit? We have the same problem - it randomly goes off and we can't find any leaks. We are going to install a new one, but now I am uncertain if it should be replaced with a different model or brand.
This can be caused by "gassing" from the batteries under the steps. The problem went away when I switched to sealed deep cycle batteries.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #19

The lp alarms are very sensitive and mine keep going off and I had to bypass it until I was able to find a good replacement. Was easy to bypass the unit itself and keep the inline valve open so you still use the propane for heat and such. I replaced my batteries and did everything to stop the false alarms. Please no one jump on me because of a safety thing for bypassing the alarm.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
The lp alarms are very sensitive and mine keep going off and I had to bypass it until I was able to find a good replacement. Was easy to bypass the unit itself and keep the inline valve open so you still use the propane for heat and such. I replaced my batteries and did everything to stop the false alarms. Please no one jump on me because of a safety thing for bypassing the alarm.
not only will I not YELL
what I did was put an off/on switch with a pilot indicator
installed it on my control monitor panel
now when fueling or storing I just turn the alarm off ,that closes the in line solenoid and I am safe and sure my propane is OFF
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote