Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #1

Remote Tire Pressure Units

I am about to be in the market for a tire pressure monitoring system, seems there are several out there and oddly enough close in price. Most systems come with 4 sensors and charge extra for the other 6, if towing that is. I do tow a toad so I need 10 sensors, that work, any suggestions from those currently using one now. All help appreciated.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #2

tire monitors

i use a tire minder i got from camping world.the unit was 379.00 and that included 4 monitors. extra 2 are 79.00 dollars. so it works real well.i set all tires at 90 psi. and then set up unit to read 90psi.during hot weather the reading is a little higher this is normal.the temp gauge is nice also.unit shuts off by it self.one thing nice is when batteries in monitors go bad,you send to tire minder and they send you free ones for 7 years.so about xmas time i will send all 6 in for replacement.some monitors you have to send back to factory? this takes time,they send me 4 extra batteries to start with and this was nice,look them all over and decide. pete aultom gresham oregon
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #3

Me too!

Post what you decide to do, I have a toad that had a very low tire last winter in Fla and narrowly escaped ruining the tire. I have heard that the Hopkins units need a signal booster at about $100 to ensure the signal gets to the unit from the toad.

Also, any concern about the stress on the tire stems?

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #4

i've had TST for the last 2 maybe 3 yrs. i have had two of them replaced. turnaround time was less than 2 weeks. unfortunately, i cannot change the batteries so i don't know what that will cost.
mine were purchased from camping world but i dealt directly with the co for replacements. i bought extras to cover the truck and trailer.

i did not need the repeater. i would suggest trying whatever u buy without one and see. i didn't even have to install the remote antenna.

on the stems, i highly recommend the medal stems. on mine, that is what i should have due to the pressure. two tires were replaced and i didn't check and they installed the rubber version. one of them failed abt 2 yrs later (when i stopped, started to air the tire back up to check, and the stem broke off).

only problem i've had with mine is that abt once a season, one of them will loosen enough to cause the tire to go flat. TST suggested teflon tape and that helped quiet a bit.

was also concerned abt tire balance. tire supplier said it would be insignificant.

they display temp and pressure each scan. if one tire starts loosing air rapidly, it will alarm and go to and display that one.

i'm happy with them and the company that i dealt with. don't know why camping world stopped carrying them.

unfortunately, mine do not shut off. when u screw them on they stay on until u unscrew them. takes them abt 15 minutes to all be displayed. what is unusual is to disconnect from the trailer and drive away and be reading tire pressure for another 15 or so minutes until the scan discovers that they aren't there.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #5

Tpms

The Tire Minder system is looking pretty good so far, have sent them a question as to having to purchase booster or not. Petey, what model did you buy, I am looking at 400c and it is only 299. From the company. I do like being able to change batteries myself, and not having to send unit back to company, or throwing the sensors away because they are sealed and having to buy new ones. Next problem is what effect do the sensors have on the valve stems and how much of a hassle is it to take them off to add air. Last question I have for the company is I found a Chinese model that looks just like tire minder and want to know if it is same unit, the Chinese model is mfg by Jett. Just curious. Will post more when I learn more. Incidentally, the Tire Minder is endorsed by "Mark Polk" of RV 101.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #6

tst

JIMH, thanks for the info, just visited the company site and looks pretty good, $499. for 10 sensor set up. So many different models, if they were only 10-15 dollars you can stand to buy wrong one, but at $500.00 I like to be careful. How far is it from monitor to rear sensor for you, without booster? I am looking at roughly forty five feet.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #7

if tpms is anything like mine, there is a little tool that goes around the sensor to grab a "nut" at the base of the sensor. not a problem at all removing.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #8

Tms

Tire Minder System just got back with me via email, promptly I might add, and stated for the Toad sensors, I will need the booster. Their Booster is $65.00. Now am waiting to hear from TST about their product. Will update all interested when more information is obtained.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #9

TireMinder from CW is now $251.99 with free shipping!!!!!

Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #10

I have a 10-sensor Pressure Pro set-up. The only feature that it doesn't have that I wih that it DID have is user-changable batteries. I've heard that there a few brands available now that have that feature.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
2011 Berkshire 390bh

You might want to check out the Tire Tracker System from Lawrence RV. We've used it and it is a good inexpensive system that allows you to change your own batteries in the sensors. Also the sensors are relatively small so you don't really have to worry about your tires being out of balance with the sensors on the tires or about the sensors being so heavy they break the valve stems.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno View Post
JIMH, thanks for the info, just visited the company site and looks pretty good, $499. for 10 sensor set up. So many different models, if they were only 10-15 dollars you can stand to buy wrong one, but at $500.00 I like to be careful. How far is it from monitor to rear sensor for you, without booster? I am looking at roughly forty five feet.
probably abt 30'. i pull a 35' 5th wheel with a crew cab pickup. seems like i've parked the truck 30' in front of the trailer and they picked up. sounds like they have different models now.
there was an antenna that came with it that i could have mounted maybe abt 10' away from the receiver but it wasn't needed. there is a little rubber antenna mounted to the side of the receiver. the receiver is mounted on the extreme left side of my dash. keep in mind, my system is at least 2 yrs old.
when i bought, camping world offered the TST and (i think) the hopkins. from what i remember, the transmitters were the same.

my preference would have been the ones mounted inside the rim but i couldn't find them. sense then, i have read complaints abt not being able to make them fit inside the heavy aluminum rims. if u opt the buy that type, i would ask that question.
what ever u settle on, i would buy the repeater later if needed.

mine stay on as long as they see pressure. have to take them off for them to shut off. i would have liked the one that shut off below a certain speed (like automobiles). couldn't find that kind either back then.

another problem with the screw on ones is if u have a duel wheel set up. the inside one is hard to get to.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #13

Tire Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
You might want to check out the Tire Tracker System from Lawrence RV. We've used it and it is a good inexpensive system that allows you to change your own batteries in the sensors. Also the sensors are relatively small so you don't really have to worry about your tires being out of balance with the sensors on the tires or about the sensors being so heavy they break the valve stems.
I have looked at Lawrence RV site and their unit is exactly the same as the Tire Minder system, looks to be same exact unit. The Price is better though. I have sent them an email as they state the transmit distance is up to 65ft. with no mention of a booster, I will wait for their response. Thanks for the input, info is of immense help.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #14

While I'm leaning toward the Tire Traker, here's another manufacturer to throw in the mix...

TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM

They seem to have one unit with the same design as the Tire Minder and the Tire Traker, and some other designs as well.

As for the Tire Traker boosters, they have 2. One 12v and a battery operated unit.

Wired: https://www.tiretraker.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TT100A
Battery: https://www.tiretraker.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TT100B

Hope this helps and doesn't continue to muddy the waters!

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Actually I got the Tire Tracker lead from the Tiffin forum. The general consensus is that you won't need a booster. If you are over 65' you aren't legal in most states.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #16

the talon looks a lot like what i have. the wheels don't show up unless u program a sensor to them. the wheel it scans flashes (on the TST this one is probably the same).
i like the idea of being able to replace the batteries. the option to add air without removing...so so. pressure is displayed, only reason to use that feature is to add air.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #17

tire monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno View Post
The Tire Minder system is looking pretty good so far, have sent them a question as to having to purchase booster or not. Petey, what model did you buy, I am looking at 400c and it is only 299. From the company. I do like being able to change batteries myself, and not having to send unit back to company, or throwing the sensors away because they are sealed and having to buy new ones. Next problem is what effect do the sensors have on the valve stems and how much of a hassle is it to take them off to add air. Last question I have for the company is I found a Chinese model that looks just like tire minder and want to know if it is same unit, the Chinese model is mfg by Jett. Just curious. Will post more when I learn more. Incidentally, the Tire Minder is endorsed by "Mark Polk" of RV 101.
i have a 400c.i have all steel valve stems.no problem taking them off, just unscrew and air up,real simple,no chinese stuff .mark polk says it all
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #18

To all who have responded, a very large THANK YOU. I have exhausted myself doing research on these units and now feel qualified to be an expert ( ex-past or former, spert-a drip under pressure)LOL. Seriously I am now armed with sufficient knowledge to move forward. Received a quick response from Lawrence RV, and that sealed the deal. I am purchasing the TireTracker System, 10 sensor system for $429.00.. Again many thanks to all, with assistance like this, anyone can solve any problem. Safe travels to all.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #19

I order the Talons system this morning. I'll let you guys know how it works. It came with the metal valves.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote