Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Replace ceiling panel in 378xl.

We have a 2011 378xl purchased new. Recently we saw a black stain showing around the surround sound speakers, yep, had a roof leak. The leak is repaired (my bad) but now we need the repair or replace the from ceiling panel above the driver/passenger compartment. I have tried assistance from the factory, total waste of time. Anyone know how to remove the front ceiling panel. I'm a handy guy at this sort of thing but would like some input on the best way to remove the cabinets. Also if anyone knows where I could find a new panel or at least the correct padded vinyl so I can remake a matching ceiling panel, it would be appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Jim

JimF
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
US Army Retired

RV Parts Nation sells RV Padded Vinyl Ceiling material. RV Parts Nation
Not sure about getting the old panel out. I've heard from others it's a complete nightmare.

BTW, haven't seen too many of us on here.
Attached Images

ArmyW4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyW4 View Post
RV Parts Nation sells RV Padded Vinyl Ceiling material. RV Parts Nation
Not sure about getting the old panel out. I've heard from others it's a complete nightmare.

BTW, haven't seen too many of us on here.

Thanks for the info. Your right, not to many of us for sure.

JimF
Old 09-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #4

Ordered ceiling material from the factory, $120 for material and 28 shipping. Other sources did not have a matching material, by the way, that ceiling material is some nice thick stuff, nice quality.

JimF
Old 01-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #5

Ceiling panels

I also need to replace 2 on a 374 Georgetown and yes the front cabinets are a chore in themselves (they also are not very well supported in the center).

I would like to hear how you made out if you could and any tips ?? If necessary I will cut the panel at the cabinet then after the new install i will build a nice narrow crown moulding to cover any gaps.......

Thanks in advance for any replies...............
belsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsy View Post
I also need to replace 2 on a 374 Georgetown and yes the front cabinets are a chore in themselves (they also are not very well supported in the center).

I would like to hear how you made out if you could and any tips ?? If necessary I will cut the panel at the cabinet then after the new install i will build a nice narrow crown moulding to cover any gaps.......

Thanks in advance for any replies...............

I found that removing the panel was not possible due to the way the unit is made. The ceiling panel sits on top of the side walls then roof rafters are mounted on top of that then the roof plywood then fiberglass top. What we did was remove the front cabinets, strip off the foam backed vinyl and then dried it (ours was a roof leak) for several days with a fan blowing on it. Our ceiling panel consistent of a 1/8" layer of Luna ply bonded to 1 1/2" block foam with 1/8" Luna bonded to the other side, a 1/2" air gap then another layer of foam. After it had dried out and the roof leak repaired we recovered the ceiling with vinyl we had purchased from the factory. $112.00 for material and $28.00 shipping for one panel size. The material came as a roll that was longer and wider than required which made it easier to cut to fit. Applying the ceiling material was its own trip, but not horrible as we figured it out. The real problem was trying to hold the ceiling material up in a straight line while we started the contact glue process. I cut a long 1/2"wide x 3/8" strip of wood and had the wife help me hold up the material as I screwed the strip up over the end of the vinyl at a side wall. With the material up and hanging I was able to use the headliner contact cement spray on the vinyl foam and ceiling and carefully smooth it out across the ceiling without pulling or sagging. Do a small area at a time, we did about 8 to 10 inches all the way across the vinyl and pressed it up the repeat. Used a roller after to set the contact. Hope this helps, it was a bitch of a job. Bye the way, to reinstall the front cabinet, after correcting all the wiring errors we found back there, I built a couple of jacks to hold the cabinet and jack it into position. That held it while I screwed the cabinet back into the ceiling and got it supported correctly. All in all it was a time consuming frustrating job but it came out looking like new. Good luck.

JimF
Old 01-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #7

Call Kevin Stratton. Elkhart IN. Service warranty man. An wonderful person. He will help.
Cardinal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #8

I bought a spray can of vinyl leather paint, taped off the cabinets and sprayed. Dealer wanted $1800 to fix. Cost me 17 dollars and you can't tell the difference. All stains covered.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Ekw4156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekw4156 View Post
I bought a spray can of vinyl leather paint, taped off the cabinets and sprayed. Dealer wanted $1800 to fix. Cost me 17 dollars and you can't tell the difference. All stains covered.

Bet that spray really took care of the mold and mildew that caused the stain, didn't it.

JimF
Old 01-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #10

Gained access to inside cap through cabinet side panel. Dehumidifier for 6 days until area was dry. Friend did mold spore test. Negative results. Caught leak early and fixed. So yes, I took care of any mold and mildew! Used this method after confirming with several rv repair companies.

Ekw4156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekw4156 View Post
Gained access to inside cap through cabinet side panel. Dehumidifier for 6 days until area was dry. Friend did mold spore test. Negative results. Caught leak early and fixed. So yes, I took care of any mold and mildew! Used this method after confirming with several rv repair companies.

Glad that worked in your case, wish it had in ours. Took a while to get ours dried out after the vinyl had been pulled. Sure a heck of a lot easier than what we went through.

JimF

Tags
378xl