Old 10-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #1

Replacement Headlight Assemblies

I can not stand the horrible Kaper Headlights. Can not believe FR is stuck in the 1950s. I want to replace the SAE HR 01H9 L010043 Vo DOT Kaper 11 and SAE HR 01H9 L010044 Vo DOT Kaper 11 assemblies, leaving the amber and fog lights alone for now. I would prefer an LED assembly.

I found a 1 for 1 replacement of the same garbage significantly cheaper here https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...light-l01-0062 but I am looking for an LED assembly. I found LED replacement bulbs at the I75 chrome shop, but not a complete assembly that will fit in an RV, just Semis. The 3 pin adjustments on Kaper are ridiculously unprofessional.

Any leads are appreciated.

270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #2

Other than strong opinion, what is wrong with your current headlights. Knowing the model and year of your unit would be helpful. I really like the headlights in my 378 and sure don't see any 1950's technology in them and three adjusting points work just fine so I really don't understand your position on this. Just saying.

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #3

Switch Settings and Lights

If one's opinion is not "strong", then don't have one to start with. I'm glad you like yours, I'm not telling you to hate yours or like mine. That is why there is vanilla and chocolate ice cream, not to mention others.

On to the topic, After multiple discussions with Kaper, LED Bulb sources, Ö Kaper is coming out with an 1 for 1 LED replacement. Reading between the lines, the only thing that has "changed is the bulb will be LED vs standard. The housing is the same (possible minor mods because it is not released yet - a few months out still).

So with all of that, a simple purchase of LED replacement bulbs is the most simple way to go.

Brings up another question - how Lights are wired:
There are many possible configurations, but the net result of how my lights work per the various switch settings follows.

1-Engine running turns on Low Beam
2-Moving Light Switch to first position adds Parking Lights 100% of the time and enables Fog lights to be able to be turned on
3-Moving Light Switch to Second position enables Bright lights to be able to be turned on. But if Bright lights are turned on, Low Beams and Fog lights turned off.

Kaper is going to get back to confirm, but it appears that all 4 lights (2 low & 2 High) use the same bulb/"single"element
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 - Sw off.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	189280   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 - Position 1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	189281   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 - Position 2 plus Bright.jpg
Views:	39