Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #1

Replacement Headlight Assemblies

I can not stand the horrible Kaper Headlights. Can not believe FR is stuck in the 1950s. I want to replace the SAE HR 01H9 L010043 Vo DOT Kaper 11 and SAE HR 01H9 L010044 Vo DOT Kaper 11 assemblies, leaving the amber and fog lights alone for now. I would prefer an LED assembly.

I found a 1 for 1 replacement of the same garbage significantly cheaper here https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...light-l01-0062 but I am looking for an LED assembly. I found LED replacement bulbs at the I75 chrome shop, but not a complete assembly that will fit in an RV, just Semis. The 3 pin adjustments on Kaper are ridiculously unprofessional.

Any leads are appreciated.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #2

Other than strong opinion, what is wrong with your current headlights. Knowing the model and year of your unit would be helpful. I really like the headlights in my 378 and sure don't see any 1950's technology in them and three adjusting points work just fine so I really don't understand your position on this. Just saying.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #3

Switch Settings and Lights

If one's opinion is not "strong", then don't have one to start with. I'm glad you like yours, I'm not telling you to hate yours or like mine. That is why there is vanilla and chocolate ice cream, not to mention others.

On to the topic, After multiple discussions with Kaper, LED Bulb sources, … Kaper is coming out with an 1 for 1 LED replacement. Reading between the lines, the only thing that has "changed is the bulb will be LED vs standard. The housing is the same (possible minor mods because it is not released yet - a few months out still).

So with all of that, a simple purchase of LED replacement bulbs is the most simple way to go.

Brings up another question - how Lights are wired:
There are many possible configurations, but the net result of how my lights work per the various switch settings follows.

1-Engine running turns on Low Beam
2-Moving Light Switch to first position adds Parking Lights 100% of the time and enables Fog lights to be able to be turned on
3-Moving Light Switch to Second position enables Bright lights to be able to be turned on. But if Bright lights are turned on, Low Beams and Fog lights turned off.

Kaper is going to get back to confirm, but it appears that all 4 lights (2 low & 2 High) use the same bulb/"single"element
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 - Sw off.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	189280   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 - Position 1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	189281   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 - Position 2 plus Bright.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	189282   Click image for larger version

Name:	04  - Posit 1 or 2 Plus Fog.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	189283  
Old 01-04-2019, 08:14 PM   #4

Have you found an led replacement? I hate how dim these are on my 36B5!
eborges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborges View Post
Have you found an led replacement? I hate how dim these are on my 36B5!
Yes, but through the FR OEM supplier all 4 were, sitting down, $3200+. Obviously thy are not interested in business. ' found third party not too bad, but waiting.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
If one's opinion is not "strong", then don't have one to start with. I'm glad you like yours, I'm not telling you to hate yours or like mine. That is why there is vanilla and chocolate ice cream, not to mention others.

On to the topic, After multiple discussions with Kaper, LED Bulb sources, … Kaper is coming out with an 1 for 1 LED replacement. Reading between the lines, the only thing that has "changed is the bulb will be LED vs standard. The housing is the same (possible minor mods because it is not released yet - a few months out still).

So with all of that, a simple purchase of LED replacement bulbs is the most simple way to go.

Brings up another question - how Lights are wired:
There are many possible configurations, but the net result of how my lights work per the various switch settings follows.

1-Engine running turns on Low Beam
2-Moving Light Switch to first position adds Parking Lights 100% of the time and enables Fog lights to be able to be turned on
3-Moving Light Switch to Second position enables Bright lights to be able to be turned on. But if Bright lights are turned on, Low Beams and Fog lights turned off.

Kaper is going to get back to confirm, but it appears that all 4 lights (2 low & 2 High) use the same bulb/"single"element
Which lights are you calling fog lights?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Which lights are you calling fog lights?
Typically "fog" lights are low to the ground to prevent the blinding return into the driver's eyes. So, I am calling the single round lights closest to the ground (last bottom picture) fog lights. BTW, they are labeled as such on the dash by FR.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170921_133230.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	194016  
Old 01-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #8

Easiest way is to replace the bulbs with leds. I replaced the standard halogens with m4 leds. RV, Truck & Auto Headlamps & Common Bulbs - Headlamps - M4 Products

Big difference in output. You can rotate the bulb to match the pattern of the housing and can reverse the heat sink to aid in fitment. Very happy with the performance and quality.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalich View Post
Easiest way is to replace the bulbs with leds. I replaced the standard halogens with m4 leds. RV, Truck & Auto Headlamps & Common Bulbs - Headlamps - M4 Products

Big difference in output. You can rotate the bulb to match the pattern of the housing and can reverse the heat sink to aid in fitment. Very happy with the performance and quality.
Which model fit your rv?
Are they the same(fit) for all models/years of FRs/Georgetowns?
Old 01-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #10

My headlight assembly id that os a 2000 - 2003 Lexus. The bulbs I removed were 9006 for the low beams and 2005 for the high beam. As to your particular coach. remove the bulb and see what it is. The number/type should be clearly stamped on the bulb. The photo is the view out the windshield with the new LED headlamps. Gone is that weak yellowish glow we have had to contend with. Night and day difference. I don't dread driving the coach after dark any longer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Headlights - 1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	194068  
Old 01-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalich View Post
My headlight assembly id that os a 2000 - 2003 Lexus. The bulbs I removed were 9006 for the low beams and 2005 for the high beam. As to your particular coach. remove the bulb and see what it is. The number/type should be clearly stamped on the bulb. The photo is the view out the windshield with the new LED headlamps. Gone is that weak yellowish glow we have had to contend with. Night and day difference. I don't dread driving the coach after dark any longer.
Is that your high or low beam illumination?
Old 01-06-2019, 11:42 AM   #12
Kanadian Kamper

That latest photo of the night time headlight spread is from inside a Sportscoach motorhome, and not a Georgetown. Therefore you’re not comparing apples to apples here.

He also identified that his headlight assembly is apparently from a known Lexus automobile. The attention to illumination intensity and focus of REAL automobiles is completely different from motorhomes.

The topic of poor night time lighting of motorhomes has been a long standing topic.

Just sayin’

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
That latest photo of the night time headlight spread is from inside a Sportscoach motorhome, and not a Georgetown. Therefore you’re not comparing apples to apples here.

He also identified that his headlight assembly is apparently from a known Lexus automobile. The attention to illumination intensity and focus of REAL automobiles is completely different from motorhomes.

The topic of poor night time lighting of motorhomes has been a long standing topic.

Just sayin’
I think he was just showing what the replacement LED bulb illumination looks like out his coach and thought they might also help the GT. His original bulbs (Lexus assembly bulbs) apparently coincided with the GT issues. I just was wondering if it was the bright or dim shown.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Is that your high or low beam illumination?
Low beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

My headlight assemblies are actually manufactured by Angel Eyes. Coachmen ( AKA FR) designed the front cap with those assemblies in mind just as many other manufacturers have done with their coaches. If the coach is a Georgetown, Sportscoach, Enetgra, etc it shouldn't matter because all the headlights have to meet the DOT standards just as taillights do.

From what I can find 270s's low beams are H9 bulbs. I'd try these for $70 to see how they perform. H9 Version 7 LED Headlight Kit

Other than the Progressive EMS I purchased for my coach, these replacement bulbs have been some of the best money I spent.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #15

Quote:
I think he was just showing what the replacement LED bulb illumination looks like out his coach and thought they might also help the GT. His original bulbs (Lexus assembly bulbs) apparently coincided with the GT issues. I just was wondering if it was the bright or dim shown.
That is the new bulbs. Found the before and after pics on my phone. The originals in my store's parking lot you can barely tell are on. I did verify that the voltage to them was sufficient before I changed them, because a low voltage situation with halogens does definitely affect output.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Headlights - 1 (1).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	194076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlights - 2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	194077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlights - 1 (2).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	194079  
Old 01-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #16

No need to explain to me. My input was in response to kenandterry's input.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #17

Here is all the info I found plus some more new stuff is finally on their (K II) website. Here is a good link https://www.kaperii.com/kii-product-page5

This is for my 2017 FR 270's lights. I assume (big assume in RV industry) I could use any H9 bulb for all 4 housings and will have 2 LB & 2 HB led lights.

I just found a 3rd party that has the entire LED assembly for $99, not $800. Unfortunately they appear to only have the low beam assembly, no high beam.

https://www.woodysaccessories.com/90...il-l01-0068-lb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KII Part #s.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	194101   Click image for larger version

Name:	KII Part #s LED.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	194102  
Old 01-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #18

Way too long a story to cover what transpired over the last 2days. This is a limited supply item and there are NO high beams manufactured. They are going to come out with an entirely new low & high beam light product lie eventually, but who knows when - 1 or 2 years, ... , So I pulled the plug and ordered a set of low beams for now as the FR lights $%((*0. I'll let you know what I see after installation and use.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #19

Thumbs down Do NOT Replace OEM Headlamps

Well - deep subject.

'just received the KII "discontinued" LED headlight assemblies. Don't know how many stars to give, probably 0 or 1. First this is not a job form most on this forum, difficult at best for even the most with mechanical skills and if I had not already removed the original lamps, I would have returned them.

The mounting plate is totally incompatible with the OEM plate. I had to fabricate adapters (3rd time worked) to go between the FR attachment aluminum in the fiberglass and the headlamps mounting plate. The headlamp plate is TOOO SMALL. 'had to splice in the wires - completely different plug, ….. An all day event and too tired to adjust the headlamps tonight. The LED headlamp may be brighter, but nothing is standing out right now. I'll wait to post that verdict until after I had time to adjust and drive at night.

And the headlamps are both the same - sounds good, NOT. The bottom adjusters are identical NOT mirrored. Called KII and they said that they are sending me a new adjuster and I will have to cut off the old one and install the replacement on the other open side. How unprofessional this industry is. They need 2 different assemblies marked passenger or driver side. BTW, they said over and over - We just sell this stuff, we don't manufacture it. More crap from China.

For now, just try and get a better bulb and leave the OEM housings alone.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #20

Comparison Picture

Here is the FR OEM low beam and the KII New LED low beam in a side by side look of the two. It appears the original covers a much wider area (less concentrated - positive point) than the LED. The LED beam appears stronger (positive point), but I will not know until I take it out for a test drive at night. Also, I need to do an alignment/adjustment when I take it out (Up on resting/storage position in driveway). There is some minor differences in picture logistics - lower angle of photo in LED (wipers showing) and the house across the street has bath lights on (possibly affecting camera exposure level). Unless there is significant change after I do a final alignment, this is my last post on this subject - thread finished.

Again, considering my previous posts, I would not recommend this fix/upgrade for over 99% of owners - regardless of results.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LB-sbscomp.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	194492  

Tags
light, replacement