Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #1

Replacement tires

We have a 2010 Georgetown 350 with 22 inch michelin tires. We are looking to replace these tires. Any recommendations for less expensive but good tires other then the michelins?

R & S
2010 Georgetown 350
2012 Honda CRV toad
rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

If those are the original tires from your Georgetown, you were really pushing your luck. Can you see the manufacture date of the tires themselves?

I don’t cut corners with tires.....especially on a motorhome. My replacements were Michelin, and sounds like yours should be too.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #3

Hankooks

Check out the price of replacing Michelins with Hankooks. Did this two years ago. 16 K miles later including an Alaskan trip and they still have the air put in at the Tire dealer. Rides well and have had zero problems. Saved some money also.....Bob
margesdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
If those are the original tires from your Georgetown, you were really pushing your luck. Can you see the manufacture date of the tires themselves?

I don’t cut corners with tires.....especially on a motorhome. My replacements were Michelin, and sounds like yours should be too.
8 years?? I GUESS!!!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #5

This subject come up ever so often on this and other forums. I replaced my 22.5" Michelin's with Sumitomo's, formerly Dunlop, after 18K miles and bad sidewall cracking. I wasn't going to reward Michelin with my hard earned money after they had a crap product to start with. Their truck and RV tires made around the 2010-2011 model years had many problems with cracking and zippering to the degree they had a recall on truck tires and were offering discounts to RV owners. They did to me but I said no thank you. I have now put 6K on the Sumo's and I'm very satisfied with the ride of my rig. However, if I could've found them in my area i too probably would've went with the Hankook's, had several sets of them on my cars and loved them and the price.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #6

This is a “hot potato” subject. My Michelin’s cracked really bad, good tread very bad sidewalls. After a lot of shopping we went with Bridgestone. Bought the low rolling resistant tires, very nice, better ride and handling and the 6 were a little under 2700 installed and balanced. Went to several tires shops and even though they carried Michelin’s did not recommend them, the state vehicle inspector here called them Mich-O-crap. Odd as I have ran Michelin’s on my cars and trucks since the 1960’s and never had a problem, till the Motorhome tires.

Good luck and I’m sure your going to get more opinions than you want to deal with.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by margesdiamond View Post
Check out the price of replacing Michelins with Hankooks. Did this two years ago. 16 K miles later including an Alaskan trip and they still have the air put in at the Tire dealer. Rides well and have had zero problems. Saved some money also.....Bob
Just replaced my 4 7yr old BF Goodrich's with Hankooks (the other two are 2yrs old). I know they have a good reputation in the racing circle and my 2009 Chrysler Van got 80K miles on the factory supplied Hankooks.

Yes, they were cheaper than the BFG's.

Time will tell

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, tire, tires