Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

replacing hydraulic pump motor

Hello all,

Working on a 2012 378. The hydraulic pump motor went out in the leveling/slide hydraulics. I ordered a new pump motor and coupler.

My question is about the coupler. How do I install it? Does the old one just pull out and I insert the new one? Will hydraulic fluid be draining once I remove the coupler? And finally will I have to bleed the system when completed?

Thanks in advance,

Robb
MORobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #2

Robb hope this helps.

A few years ago a guy replaced the seal in his Lippert pump on another forum.
He has pictures and descriptions that may help you answer your question.
Good luck

Link
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/lipp...ent-60352.html
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #3

ok, replaced the motor and coupler today. The coupler just pulls out and you slide the new one in. Then mount the motor and test.

Slides all work now!

Robb
Old 10-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORobb View Post
ok, replaced the motor and coupler today. The coupler just pulls out and you slide the new one in. Then mount the motor and test.

Slides all work now!

Robb
Kind of interested in where you were able to order the motor and coupling from.

Do you have any pictures or part numbers or costs you can share?
This is one subject that may gain a lot of attention as others may have burnt out motors.
Did you loose fluid when you removed motor and coupling?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
Site Team

X2 what Iggy said. Some pictures, part numbers, vendor, etc. would certainly be appreciated.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #6

I once had a pump problem, Lippart covered the cost under a recall. Wouldn't hurt to call them.
Lippert Components
Don Parker
574-537-8900
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #7

Lippert Hydraulics

Instead of the usual complaint and criticism about manufactures, or more importantly, the suppliers of the assemblies of our motorhomes and campers, I will risk ridicule by stating that Lippert Components, and specifically John Armstrong have gone above and beyond anything that I would have expected in their assistance and the customer care that they have extended to me. I was able to explain my situation, pump assembly on G-town 378, 2011, and most importantly ASK for their help in trying to resolve my hydraulic problems. Together, we were able to come up with a plan that was much more than fair, more than I could have a right to expect, and resolved my problem. I know many people have different views, but I feel that Lippert has and does understand what Customer Service really means.
Maddog378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog378 View Post
Instead of the usual complaint and criticism about manufactures, or more importantly, the suppliers of the assemblies of our motorhomes and campers, I will risk ridicule by stating that Lippert Components, and specifically John Armstrong have gone above and beyond anything that I would have expected in their assistance and the customer care that they have extended to me.
I feel that Lippert has and does understand what Customer Service really means.
Lippert has, according to discussions I've had with their reps, been working hard to improve customer service for the last few years. Unfortunately, while it's very easy for management and senior staff to get with the program, it's often not as easy to get the workers at the lower levels of the organization to change their attitudes. I've had three dealings with Lippert since I purchased my 2011 Georgetown in July 2011, and none of them was an example of good customer service. The worst one was a safety related part that was to be shipped overnight to my dealer. The part was packaged for shipping but the Lippert worker at the loading dock "forgot" to give it to FedEx twice. It never arrived before I had to leave with my rig for a conference I was scheduled to attend.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Is John Armstrong looking after Georgetown again? He looked after us very well when our coach was new. But have not needed anything from Forest River in a long time.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post
Is John Armstrong looking after Georgetown again? He looked after us very well when our coach was new. But have not needed anything from Forest River in a long time.
John Armstrong left a long time ago.

Latest:
Georgetown Service & Warranty
Kevin Stratton Phone: (574) 206-7611
Fax: (574) 206-2484
Email:
kstratton@forestriverinc.com
Old 10-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #11

John Armstrong

He was most helpful. Has been at Lippert for close to 2 years if I remember the conversation.
Maddog378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:53 PM   #12

Ok, we'll I don't want to start a complaint thread about a pump the burned out. Things happen. I called Lippert and they were very helpful full. For those of you who want part numbers etc, try looking at Lippert website. It has all the parts and numbers. When I called Lippert they gave me the pump part number as well as alot of other information. I did not order the pump directly from Lippert as they charge shipping and tax. Found the pump (using Lippert part #) at rv upgrade for a little cheaper and no tax.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #13

As to the question about the coupler. Since I could not find any info, I just removed it and hoped I would not get a fluid drain. There was no fluid coming out after I removed the coupler. Inserted the coupler and bolted on the pump. Whole process took about 30 minutes. Sorry I did not take pictures and I don't think I will removed the pump again to get any......
Old 10-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #14

@Pmsherman I am sorry you had a problem. All companies make mistakes, have you ever made one? Thanks for hijacking a thread to voice your displeasure.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #15

Great job MORobb
May I suggest something to you and others.

Your pump motor probably got over heated for running too long or it burnt out because of low voltage and high amperage and burned up internally.

What I have learned and what I do is no matter how good my batteries are I try to insure I am hooked up to campground power or generator power prior to using the hydraulic pump.
This insure that the battery charger is on and supplying 12 plus volts to the batteries to help them maintain the 12 plus volts needed for the pump to run efficiently.

Low battery voltage is a killer for this motor and when you get low voltage you get equal in opposite proportion your amperage.
If you have your 100 amp DC breaker trip often you need to check your battery condition or have the charger on when you run the Lippert pump.

Just some information for you and other.

Tags
hydraulic, pump