Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #1

Replacing the DVD player

The Executive DVD player has died in our motorhome. I pulled it out and it has a lot of wires going into it. I made a note of the color and what they connections are that they go to.

I have another DVD player but it doesn't have the same type of connection for these wires. It would be a real pain to try and make it work. I think I'd have to go out and try to find a stereo connection to hook the wires up to so it would hook up correctly to the DVD player (Sony DAV-300).

Any suggestions?
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Seriously, I have no idea what " a bunch of wires" means.
Is it a Component output from the DVD player? Five wires?
Does the one you want to use have 3 wires? One?
Fiber Optic?

There are adapters (some expensive) for just about any system match up. Just need to know where to point ya.

The manual for the DVD player you want to use is http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DAVS300_OM.pdf

It shows an S Video output (DVD only) and composite 3 wires output. It is a Stereo Surround Sound unit and hooks directly up to speakers. Does you camper have a Concertone unit in it now? If so, I doubt this will work without taking out just about everything.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
If you want sound out of the surround speakers, you'll have to get a surround sound unit not just a regular dvd player to replace it..
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
If you want sound out of the surround speakers, you'll have to get a surround sound unit not just a regular dvd player to replace it..
The Sony unit is a surround sound amp as well as a DVD player. It functions much like the Conertone units in most campers.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #5

You want to look for the key words. "Home Theater In a Box" or "All in one home theater system" It's essentualy a DVD (or bluray) player and an amplifier in one box.

Here they are at New Egg:
Newegg.com - Home Theater System, Home Theater Package, Home Theater Surround Sound, Home Theater in a Box, Digital Theater System

Best Buy carries them too.

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to buy them without the speakers so you'll probably end up installing the dvd player/amp box in your motorhome and throwing the speakers away.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to buy them without the speakers so you'll probably end up installing the dvd player/amp box in your motorhome and throwing the speakers away.
Don't throw them away!

Sell them on eBay...

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Whoa. I think I must have read his post wrong.

"The Executive DVD player has died in our motorhome. I pulled it out and it has a lot of wires going into it. I made a note of the color and what they connections are that they go to. I have another DVD player but it doesn't have the same type of connection for these wires. It would be a real pain to try and make it work. I think I'd have to go out and try to find a stereo connection to hook the wires up to so it would hook up correctly to the DVD player (Sony DAV-300)."

I thought the Executive DVD player was the failure and he wanted to use the DVD player in his Sony DAV-300 as the replacement for the Executive DVD player. Not knowing how the Executive DVD player connected to his Concertone AMP was the question I was trying to answer.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #8

Here is what I did:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lete-5558.html

While you probably will not need to go to the extreme that I did, this might help you identify the wires and retro fit them to a new unit.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #9

I have 12 wires that went to the speaker connections on the back of the old DVD player. My Sony doesn't quite fit so I'll probably have to find another home theatre DVD. Does anyone have experience with matching up a bare wire connection to a connection on the back of a DVD or stereo that would require a plastic connection? Would I have to crimp the wire into the plastic connection? Basic question but I've just never done it before.
Don't you just love RV maintenance. No room just like a submarine.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
Site Team

It's fairly simple to figure out which wire is what back there.
I can't give specific but when I replaced mine I just took each
speaker wire and momentarily touched it to a AA battery.
The speaker it goes to will pop or scratch loud enough to locate it.
Put on some masking tape that labels it and move on.
First thing you know, you've got them all tagged.
After that you are connecting the old wires to your new
unit. I just spliced mine together with blue wire nuts from
the electrical isle if my favorite Home Depot.
(Man I should have my own personal parking space there!!)
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:40 PM   #11

Ok, I got his figured out! I went to Electronic Fry's and looked at various DVD players. I found out two things. There are two kind of DVD players...those that just go to your TV and those that go to a surround sound system. I need the later. Now, what I also found out is that certain brands like Samsung and Sony use proprietary connectors on the back while LG used the same kind of connection as my old DVD player. So when I go to replace it, I'll use a brand like LG. Bad news: The replacement cost would be around $250. Sure, I could pick up a regular DVD player for less than $100 but then sound would not be coming out of the 5 speakers situated around the RV. Thanks guys for all your help.

Tags
georgetown