Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 10:39 PM   #1

Replacing the kitchen faucet?

The kitchen faucet installed on my Georgetown is pretty flimsy. Seems like a quick inexpensive upgrade. For those that have replaced theirs what brand did you go with?
bclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:47 AM   #2

We have done it many times......usually from Lowes or Home Depot..
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
D W

Replaced our plastic crap right out of the gate.(kitchen & bathroom). Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot have the best selection. Typically, kitchen is 8" and bathroom is 4". Prices run anywhere from $30 to $300, according to your taste and how fancy you want to get. Chances are you're going to need a basin wrench to remove the old and install the new, unless you want to pull the sinks.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Replaced our plastic crap right out of the gate.(kitchen & bathroom). Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot have the best selection. Typically, kitchen is 8" and bathroom is 4". Prices run anywhere from $30 to $300, according to your taste and how fancy you want to get. Chances are you're going to need a basin wrench to remove the old and install the new, unless you want to pull the sinks.
Thanks! I assume it is standard size?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #5

They are Standard size,it helps if the "Uninstall person has Long arms/Small Hands/Good eyesight/Long Neck/able to endure Pain/Tough Skin/Patience/Large Vocabulary of ??? Words/able to use a Mirror/and afterwards thinking "Why in the Heck didn't they let the Amish Craftsmen just install a Pitcher Pump"! Youroo!!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #6

I want to change mine but my cabinet has a center post between the doors. Door opening too narrow. Impossible to get inside the cabinet to look up behind the sink. Fortunately, the 16-year-old faucet still works.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #7

Cavie,
Check to see if the center post can easily be removed. Mine was installed with only a couple of screws in the top and bottom. I removed it, replaced the faucet and reinstalled the post in an afternoon.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
Cavie,
Check to see if the center post can easily be removed. Mine was installed with only a couple of screws in the top and bottom. I removed it, replaced the faucet and reinstalled the post in an afternoon.
I'll look at that when I get back I June.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #9

Faucet replacement

A word of caution. Replaced the plastic kitchen on my Roo and had an interesting problem. I had left the water pump on and while bouncing down the road the single lever faucet opened enough to flood the sink and dump water all over the place. No real harm done but it demonstrated that not all faucets are RV ready and while I'm not taking it out I now know that turning off the water pump is a must with this faucet.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I want to change mine but my cabinet has a center post between the doors. Door opening too narrow. Impossible to get inside the cabinet to look up behind the sink. Fortunately, the 16-year-old faucet still works.
I hated the OE faucet. Short of taking out the center post, I played contortionist going in sideways, working with my right hand behind my head and almost without eyes on! There were many prophetic words used and quite a bit of discomfort. Also had to drill out a new center post hole with no margin for error on the edges. Always good when you think you did it right, turn on the water and no leaks.

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #11

I don't want to hijack this post but I have a similar question. We have a Gen1 Girard on demand hot water heater and a single lever selector in our kitchen faucet. The faucet us a solid stainless steel version but 6 seasons of fairly heavy use, it's starting to get loose so it doesn't always stay at the flow we want it ( important on a on demand heater.) I'm looking to replace it and wonder if there us anything significant about the faucet because it has the on demand heater in the system or can I replace it with any good quality unit from a hardware supplier? Or is that a Girard question?
Look forward to your feedback.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
I don't want to hijack this post but I have a similar question. We have a Gen1 Girard on demand hot water heater and a single lever selector in our kitchen faucet. The faucet us a solid stainless steel version but 6 seasons of fairly heavy use, it's starting to get loose so it doesn't always stay at the flow we want it ( important on a on demand heater.) I'm looking to replace it and wonder if there us anything significant about the faucet because it has the on demand heater in the system or can I replace it with any good quality unit from a hardware supplier? Or is that a Girard question?
Look forward to your feedback.
Nothing special with on-demand WH. Most residential faucets will work. Just measure the centerline of the holes in the counter. You can buy a rebuild kit for your present valve and it will work like new. the trick will be to find out who built it. Do you have the paperwork that came with the trailer?
Old 02-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Nothing special with on-demand WH. Most residential faucets will work. Just measure the centerline of the holes in the counter. You can buy a rebuild kit for your present valve and it will work like new. the trick will be to find out who built it. Do you have the paperwork that came with the trailer?
Hadn't thought about that. Yes I have everything original manual and oaoerwork wise from the trailer, so I'll look into that.
Thank you!
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #14

For you who have never done this here is a link to a Basin Wrench:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cobra-Basin-Wrench/21020942

It is very easy to use. There will be at least 4 sometimes 6 connections you need to undoe.

2 water supply at the faucet
2 large plastic nuts that attach faucet to countertop or sink
2 water connections at the water stops (sometimes missing on RVs as pex tubing run all the way to the sink)

Once you get accustomed to it you can most of the time do the job "by feel" because the wrench is self adjusting.

Removing the center stile between the doors is also a good idea. If it is not screwed on for easy removal use a vibrating cutter on the top and bottom (with a metal cutting blade) and then reattach with thin strips of plywood top and bottom screwed to the stile and then rails above and below the stile.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #15

New faucet

It is very difficult to get under the cabinet. We took ouT the fire extinguisher cabinet by the entry door and was able to work through that and the front.

R & s
2010 GEORGETOWN 350
rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #16

I opted for this one from Amazon. Had to drill a center hole and buy a couple of 1/2 inch male/male adapters but I am very pleased. It was a little taller than the other one and I had to move us the window topper. Much more solid. It was very cramped under that little space but for the most part the old connectors could be removed by hand.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
For you who have never done this here is a link to a Basin Wrench:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cobra-Basin-Wrench/21020942

It is very easy to use. There will be at least 4 sometimes 6 connections you need to undoe.

2 water supply at the faucet
2 large plastic nuts that attach faucet to countertop or sink
2 water connections at the water stops (sometimes missing on RVs as pex tubing run all the way to the sink)

Once you get accustomed to it you can most of the time do the job "by feel" because the wrench is self adjusting.

Removing the center stile between the doors is also a good idea. If it is not screwed on for easy removal use a vibrating cutter on the top and bottom (with a metal cutting blade) and then reattach with thin strips of plywood top and bottom screwed to the stile and then rails above and below the stile.
That basin wrench is one of the most useful tools I have purchased. I loan it out and the folks that use it are in awe with me
Old 02-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
I opted for this one from Amazon. Had to drill a center hole and buy a couple of 1/2 inch male/male adapters but I am very pleased. It was a little taller than the other one and I had to move us the window topper. Much more solid. It was very cramped under that little space but for the most part the old connectors could be removed by hand.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just looked at it, NICE faucet. I think you eill like how tall it is enabling you to put taller pots under it to fill them.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #19
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Home Despot had a motion activated pull down faucet that was an open box buy. Connected everything to existing piping. Has a motion sensor you wave your hand near to make it work. Second wave also shuts it off! Plus, added feature, you can shut it off at the handle! Ain't technology grand?

On another visit, found a nice real metal faucet for the bathroom....open box!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
Home Despot had a motion activated pull down faucet that was an open box buy. Connected everything to existing piping. Has a motion sensor you wave your hand near to make it work. Second wave also shuts it off! Plus, added feature, you can shut it off at the handle! Ain't technology grand?

On another visit, found a nice real metal faucet for the bathroom....open box!
Nice! That is something I would have nabbed too!

Tags
faucet