Old 11-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Has anyone mounted a TV on the wall using a universal swing type mount? Like this one on Amazon?
It is nicer since you can move the TV to better viewing angles, but you'd still need something to hold it in while your going down the road. It will extend out and then the added leverage of the extended arm plus bouncing down equals a disaster sure to happen.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #12

Well being its winter and I needed something to do I finally decided to remove the Toshiba 40" TV and replace it with a Samsung 40" UN40F5500AF LED from Sam's Club.

Being a much lighter TV (19.8 lbs) compared to the old Toshiba (39 lbs)
I decided to mount the new TV on the outer wall where the present TV is located with the new wall mount that has a locking mechanism just for RV's. It is made by MorRyde and is model TV1-021H. $109
I got the lighter one of the two version. Mine handles up to 35lbs while the TV1-006H model is heavier material and can handle up to 50 lbs.

Here is a picture and a video on how it looks and works.
VIDEO

I bought it from TVforMyRV.com TVforMyRV - Flat Screen TVs, Antennas, Satellite Dish, TV Brackets for RVs - Buy With Confidence

Here is what the present TV looks like.
Everything should be here next week and I will see if I need a sound bar to add on after a few tests.
I will take pictures during the install for everyone to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	46160   Click image for larger version

Name:	April_17_2012 081.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	46161  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Has anyone mounted a TV on the wall using a universal swing type mount?
I replaced a broken Jensen TV in the bedroom of our 2010 373DS and used a VESA swing arm mount. Forest River had used wood with a small fixed VESA mount for the Jensen that covered an area that had obviously been originally designed for a tube type television. Using a swing mount allowed me to reclaim the space behind the new TV for storage. I also added a strap to the cabinet that is put across the TV to keep it in place while the motorhome is moving. The new TV (a 24" LG brand LED LCD) was installed in February of 2013, and we have had no problems.

One reason I picked this LG television is because the LED LCD televisions draw much less power than the cold cathode back-lit LCD TVs. The 24" LG is rated for 30 watts power consumption, so it's great when boondocking. The yellow energy guide sticker said the TV uses $6 of electricity per year.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
I replaced a broken Jensen TV in the bedroom of our 2010 373DS and used a VESA swing arm mount. Forest River had used wood with a small fixed VESA mount for the Jensen that covered an area that had obviously been originally designed for a tube type television. Using a swing mount allowed me to reclaim the space behind the new TV for storage. I also added a strap to the cabinet that is put across the TV to keep it in place while the motorhome is moving. The new TV (a 24" LG brand LED LCD) was installed in February of 2013, and we have had no problems.

One reason I picked this LG television is because the LED LCD televisions draw much less power than the cold cathode back-lit LCD TVs. The 24" LG is rated for 30 watts power consumption, so it's great when boondocking. The yellow energy guide sticker said the TV uses $6 of electricity per year.
If this wall mount works well I will see what I can do to as you say reclaim space in the bedroom wall mounted TV. To bad Forest River doesn't want to take the Georgetown to a new level and add some choice additions like we have done.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:48 AM   #15

To install the VESA swing arm mount, I used a piece of 2"x4" wood mounted vertically in the opening that was behind the broken Jensen LCD TV. The 2"x4" was bolted to the interior of the cabinet, and is positioned about 1/4 of the way across the opening behind the TV. The actual spacing will depend on the specific VESA mount that is used, so that the TV is centered over the opening.

I picked the heaviest duty swing arm mount I could find since it is in a moving vehicle. The mount is rated to hold TVs that weigh about 3 times the weight of the 24" LG TV. Instead of using the wall screws that came with the mount, it is bolted through the 2"x4" piece of wood, and the 2"x4" wood is bolted to the cabinet. None of the bolts are visible when the TV is in place for viewing. Thread lock was used on the screws that attach the LCD TV to the VESA mount. I tend to over-engineer things sometimes...
Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #16

My 2012 360 has a standard type swing mount attached to the wall by the kitchen counter. Works very well and the TV is the usual 42" Toshiba. We actually have three Toshiba TVs. One above the driver area and another in the bedroom. Those are both fixed mount. The only issue with a swing mount is they have to have something very solid to attach to as there is a lot of leverage when the tv is extended.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
My 2012 360 has a standard type swing mount attached to the wall by the kitchen counter. Works very well and the TV is the usual 42" Toshiba. We actually have three Toshiba TVs. One above the driver area and another in the bedroom. Those are both fixed mount. The only issue with a swing mount is they have to have something very solid to attach to as there is a lot of leverage when the tv is extended.

I agree and I'm considering putting something on the wall to reinforce the wall mount and help distribute the weight over a larger area.
I may attaché a piece of 3/8" board. That really hard stuff (NOT particle board) to the wall that is twice (maybe 24" x24" ) the size of the mount and secure it solidly to the outer wall before attaching the wall mount to it. Using gorilla glue or liquid nail as well as screws to secure it to the wall.

Anyone have any suggestions?
\

Old 02-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #18

sounds good Al

You might consider using 3/8 plywood smooth on one side. Plywood will anchor screws much better than particle board.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
You might consider using 3/8 plywood smooth on one side. Plywood will anchor screws much better than particle board.
It won't be particle board but Masonite board.
Thanks and we will keep you posted on our progress next week.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #20

Well I finally removed that Toshiba 40" and replaced it with a Samsung 40" that weighs 23 lbs.
I installed a new wall mount as well as reinforced the wall to handle the TV and movement.
The outer wall is more sturdy than I expected.
I still installed a 1/2" x 12" x12" piece of precut finished plywood from the hobby shop for $2.39 on sale.
I also removed some of the wall paper to expose the wood underneath. So when I applied Gorilla glue to it will bond and become one solid unit.

Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_Mod_06.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	46587   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_Mod04.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	46588   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_Mod01.jpg