Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #1

Replacing Toshiba 40" LCD with thin LED?

I have the 40" Toshiba LCD model 40FT2U
I'm considering replacing it with a LED type TV which is much thinner.
Has anyone done this in your motorhome and wonder if it will be damaged if I use the existing mount.
See pictures of present mount. May have to mount on wall instead with swivel mount.
Do you think the thinness will shake and get easily damaged?

I'm considering buying a Samsung LED TV model LN40B750
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod Picture 018.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	42757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod Picture 025.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	42758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod Picture 019.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	42759  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Pete

2010 378TS.

We replaced with Visio 42". Factory mounting bracket would not work. I had to re-invent a bracket and mount to ceiling for "driving down the road" stability.

It also allowed us to have additional "open" storage behind the TV. Bracket works great!
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Pete

pics of TV bracket
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4914.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	42777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4909.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	42778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4912.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	42779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4913.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	42780  
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #4

Iggy, I wouldn't,think,LED TVs are,any less structurally sound,than LCD TVs. To give you some peace of mind check out some of the newer motorhomes to see any are using LED TVs.

In looking at your pics, I'm not sure,what you have for a mount there. The bolt pattern to attach the mount should be the same,as they are standard. If your existing mount doesn't work try shopping at MonPrice.com. They have a huge selection and the prices are,very good, Make sure you know the weight of the mount. Some of them are still made for the older, flat screens that were,quit,heavy. It weighted more than the Tv

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Iggy........

We have the exact same bracket on our 2010 GT 330TS holding our 32" Toshiba Flat Screen. That particular TV was not the "bestest" or "fanciest" but for the price, it probably fit the need for FR. The bracket is not pretty and I'm not sure who made the actual bracket, but it IS rock solid at holding the TV.

When the time comes to upgrade I'm sure we'll be looking at a different mounting unit. In both our cases (looking at your photos) the bracket mounts to a horizontal tabletop surface as opposed to a wall or ceiling. If it weren't for the fact that the TV is subjected to more movement in an RV than if it were in a home, there wouldn't be a mount at all.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #6

Iggy,
My '09 378 has a similar bracket and came with a 32" Olevia (worst TV ever). I changed to a 40" Sony. The bolt pattern did not match, so I attached a 3/4" piece of plywood to the bracket and then bolted the TV to the wood.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #7

Iggy let. S know what and how you did it. We have a 2013 Georgetown 378 XL. Our 40" Toshiba bit the dust and we are replacing it with a 43" to 46" vizio. I like the vizio brand because I already have 2 at home and like them. The issue I have is my tv cabinet is one piece and not a table top like I the pictures. It is enclosed. Somewhat hard to remove and no room or space under or over the TV When I get my unit back from the shop next week I will post my pics. Any help is always appreciated.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Iggy let. S know what and how you did it. We have a 2013 Georgetown 378 XL. Our 40" Toshiba bit the dust and we are replacing it with a 43" to 46" vizio. I like the vizio brand because I already have 2 at home and like them. The issue I have is my tv cabinet is one piece and not a table top like I the pictures. It is enclosed. Somewhat hard to remove and no room or space under or over the TV When I get my unit back from the shop next week I will post my pics. Any help is always appreciated.

Here is what my TV area looks like in my 2012 378TS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	April_17_2012 081.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	42823  
Old 11-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #9

Wished mine looked like that. My TV is enclose so I am limited on the size. Fortunately the new Vizios LEDs have a very narrow bezel which enables a larger screen. I might be able to fit a 46" one in it. Will keep you posted.
I just love these types of projects
Thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #10

Has anyone mounted a TV on the wall using a universal swing type mount?

Like this one on Amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/Mount-Pros-Pro.../dp/B00A4PVL0E

or
One like this?
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/mount-it...218030120.html
Old 11-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Has anyone mounted a TV on the wall using a universal swing type mount? Like this one on Amazon?
It is nicer since you can move the TV to better viewing angles, but you'd still need something to hold it in while your going down the road. It will extend out and then the added leverage of the extended arm plus bouncing down equals a disaster sure to happen.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #12

Well being its winter and I needed something to do I finally decided to remove the Toshiba 40" TV and replace it with a Samsung 40" UN40F5500AF LED from Sam's Club.

Being a much lighter TV (19.8 lbs) compared to the old Toshiba (39 lbs)
I decided to mount the new TV on the outer wall where the present TV is located with the new wall mount that has a locking mechanism just for RV's. It is made by MorRyde and is model TV1-021H. $109
I got the lighter one of the two version. Mine handles up to 35lbs while the TV1-006H model is heavier material and can handle up to 50 lbs.

Here is a picture and a video on how it looks and works.
VIDEO

I bought it from TVforMyRV.com TVforMyRV - Flat Screen TVs, Antennas, Satellite Dish, TV Brackets for RVs - Buy With Confidence

Here is what the present TV looks like.
Everything should be here next week and I will see if I need a sound bar to add on after a few tests.
I will take pictures during the install for everyone to see.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	46160   Click image for larger version

Name:	April_17_2012 081.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	46161  
Old 02-13-2014, 03:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Has anyone mounted a TV on the wall using a universal swing type mount?
I replaced a broken Jensen TV in the bedroom of our 2010 373DS and used a VESA swing arm mount. Forest River had used wood with a small fixed VESA mount for the Jensen that covered an area that had obviously been originally designed for a tube type television. Using a swing mount allowed me to reclaim the space behind the new TV for storage. I also added a strap to the cabinet that is put across the TV to keep it in place while the motorhome is moving. The new TV (a 24" LG brand LED LCD) was installed in February of 2013, and we have had no problems.

One reason I picked this LG television is because the LED LCD televisions draw much less power than the cold cathode back-lit LCD TVs. The 24" LG is rated for 30 watts power consumption, so it's great when boondocking. The yellow energy guide sticker said the TV uses $6 of electricity per year.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
I replaced a broken Jensen TV in the bedroom of our 2010 373DS and used a VESA swing arm mount. Forest River had used wood with a small fixed VESA mount for the Jensen that covered an area that had obviously been originally designed for a tube type television. Using a swing mount allowed me to reclaim the space behind the new TV for storage. I also added a strap to the cabinet that is put across the TV to keep it in place while the motorhome is moving. The new TV (a 24" LG brand LED LCD) was installed in February of 2013, and we have had no problems.

One reason I picked this LG television is because the LED LCD televisions draw much less power than the cold cathode back-lit LCD TVs. The 24" LG is rated for 30 watts power consumption, so it's great when boondocking. The yellow energy guide sticker said the TV uses $6 of electricity per year.
If this wall mount works well I will see what I can do to as you say reclaim space in the bedroom wall mounted TV. To bad Forest River doesn't want to take the Georgetown to a new level and add some choice additions like we have done.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:48 AM   #15

To install the VESA swing arm mount, I used a piece of 2"x4" wood mounted vertically in the opening that was behind the broken Jensen LCD TV. The 2"x4" was bolted to the interior of the cabinet, and is positioned about 1/4 of the way across the opening behind the TV. The actual spacing will depend on the specific VESA mount that is used, so that the TV is centered over the opening.

I picked the heaviest duty swing arm mount I could find since it is in a moving vehicle. The mount is rated to hold TVs that weigh about 3 times the weight of the 24" LG TV. Instead of using the wall screws that came with the mount, it is bolted through the 2"x4" piece of wood, and the 2"x4" wood is bolted to the cabinet. None of the bolts are visible when the TV is in place for viewing. Thread lock was used on the screws that attach the LCD TV to the VESA mount. I tend to over-engineer things sometimes...
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #16

My 2012 360 has a standard type swing mount attached to the wall by the kitchen counter. Works very well and the TV is the usual 42" Toshiba. We actually have three Toshiba TVs. One above the driver area and another in the bedroom. Those are both fixed mount. The only issue with a swing mount is they have to have something very solid to attach to as there is a lot of leverage when the tv is extended.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
My 2012 360 has a standard type swing mount attached to the wall by the kitchen counter. Works very well and the TV is the usual 42" Toshiba. We actually have three Toshiba TVs. One above the driver area and another in the bedroom. Those are both fixed mount. The only issue with a swing mount is they have to have something very solid to attach to as there is a lot of leverage when the tv is extended.

I agree and I'm considering putting something on the wall to reinforce the wall mount and help distribute the weight over a larger area.
I may attaché a piece of 3/8" board. That really hard stuff (NOT particle board) to the wall that is twice (maybe 24" x24" ) the size of the mount and secure it solidly to the outer wall before attaching the wall mount to it. Using gorilla glue or liquid nail as well as screws to secure it to the wall.

Anyone have any suggestions?
\
Old 02-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #18

sounds good Al

You might consider using 3/8 plywood smooth on one side. Plywood will anchor screws much better than particle board.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
You might consider using 3/8 plywood smooth on one side. Plywood will anchor screws much better than particle board.
It won't be particle board but Masonite board.
Thanks and we will keep you posted on our progress next week.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #20

Well I finally removed that Toshiba 40" and replaced it with a Samsung 40" that weighs 23 lbs.
I installed a new wall mount as well as reinforced the wall to handle the TV and movement.
The outer wall is more sturdy than I expected.
I still installed a 1/2" x 12" x12" piece of precut finished plywood from the hobby shop for $2.39 on sale.
I also removed some of the wall paper to expose the wood underneath. So when I applied Gorilla glue to it will bond and become one solid unit.

Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV_Mod_06.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	46587   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_Mod04.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	46588   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_Mod01.jpg