Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #1

Residential fridge quit.

Well another trip back to the dealer for my 2015 377ts. This time the residential fridge will not cool in either the freezer or the refrigerator section. All the lights and controls and fans seem to be working the compressor just won't kick on. I tried unplugging it for five minuets and plugging it back in to see if that would reset it but no luck.

This makes four times in just over a year that I have had to take it back. So far I have had. The front a/c replaced, the windshield replaced, the outside tv replaced, the bathroom sink replaced, the chassis battery replaced, the serpentine belt replaced and the wrinkled fiberglass room fix done. I still love my motorhome but it is getting harder everyday. This unit was bought New only 14 months ago and only has 3500 miles on it and a bunch of that is going back and forth to the dealer, 83 miles each way.

Hoping for better luck in the coming year as we have three long trips scheduled this summer.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #2

I have the 364ts and hear about the wrinkle fiberglass. Where are you getting that at?
Walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

Mine was where the roof curves over the side. There is a fix from FR that uses a cap that runs the full length on both sides. My dealer, Paul Sherry RV in Piqua, Ohio did mine. It is a known problem.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #4

Ok mine was bought 2 years ago. I wonder if it is still under warranty.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #5

If it is the fridgediar gallery model then no. Only a one year warranty. I do have a service contract that covers it though.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #6

Yeah I have an extended warranty. It's in for warranty work now. Maybe I'll ask them to take a look at that part of it and see if they see twisting.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #7

And also my fridge is doing the same thing that's why it's in
Old 04-18-2017, 10:52 PM   #8

I think they would cover the roof fix even out of warranty. I got it done and was told they were the radius caps that they used on their diesels....bad news is they screw lots of holes in your nice one piece fg roof...
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #9

Yeah I mentioned to the dealer doing the work to take a look. We will see but I thought I did see some twisting over the front half of the passenger side
Old 04-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #10

[QUOTE=georgew48;1479513]Well another trip back to the dealer for my 2015 377ts. This time the residential fridge will not cool in either the freezer or the refrigerator section. All the lights and controls and fans seem to be working the compressor just won't kick on. I tried unplugging it for five minuets and plugging it back in to see if that would reset it but no luck.

We have a 2016 XL 369DS and our fridge had a similar issue. The dealer had Fridgidaire come out and fix it under warranty. It was a bad compressor. Doesn't happen often, but home fridges have the same issue. The biggest problem was trying to explain to the Fridgidaire people that it was in an RV and at the shop, not in my house. The shop had to remove it so the tech could get access. Fridgidaire tried to pay me for a replacement, but I held to them fixing it instead.
Darugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #11

Personally I would not buy an RV with a residential fridge. IMO those are made to be shipped a few times to distributor, retailer, etc, then put in a house and be plugged in and run continuously until they implode. Now days if you get 5 to 6 years out of one in your home you're doing good.

They are not built to take the shock of being constantly bounced over bad roads, operated on inverters and batteries, turned on and off, subjected to changing environmental conditions, etc.

I know why the RV manufacturers push them. It's because it's much cheaper and faster to manufacture the unit. No gas connection needed, no exterior vents, no special cabinet enclosures, and unless you are talking super high end as in a class A the up front cost for the appliance is half what the cheapest absorption fridge costs.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #12

The one in my Georgetown cost 2400 dollars so I wouldn't consider it a cheap one, in fact it is the same one you will find in 500,000 plus coaches. I had the same one in my Cardinal 5th wheel and never had a problem with it. I will take one of these anyday over the RV style ones. Don't know why this one quit but it will be fixed.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #13

So I talked to the dealer today and the service manager says the Fridegiar repair man refuses to work on my refrigerator while it is still in the motorhome even though they have pulled it out of the wall and it is sitting in the middle of the floor. This is a authorized Fridegiar service person that Fridegiar recommended. Now the service manager says they are looking at just replacing the entire refrigerator with a new one just like it. Forest River needs to get these dealers to get training on how to repair the residential refrigerators if they are going to keep selling rvs with them. When I spend this much money on something I should not have to worry that the dealer that sold it to me cain't fix something as simple as a refrigerator. This is not rocket science.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
So I talked to the dealer today and the service manager says the Fridegiar repair man refuses to work on my refrigerator while it is still in the motorhome even though they have pulled it out of the wall and it is sitting in the middle of the floor. This is a authorized Fridegiar service person that Fridegiar recommended. Now the service manager says they are looking at just replacing the entire refrigerator with a new one just like it. Forest River needs to get these dealers to get training on how to repair the residential refrigerators if they are going to keep selling rvs with them. When I spend this much money on something I should not have to worry that the dealer that sold it to me cain't fix something as simple as a refrigerator. This is not rocket science.
This was exactly what happened to me. I refused the offer from Fridgidaire Corp Warranty of writing me a check to replace the fridge and they finally sent out their contracted service people and they fixed it. It was an easy fix - I spent more time on the phone than the guy took to finally fix it. I doubt the dealer or FR will pay for it to be fixed/replaced if it is under the appliance's warranty.

If I knew that the fridge could be easily replaced and fit exactly, I may have agreed to the payout.
Darugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #15

Just heard from my dealer. The fridgidair in our 364ts is shot. No fixing it and that was from a fridgidair rep. Fingers crossed it's covered on the extended warranty since they have already turned down the 2 other claims that were turned in for warranty.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:28 AM   #16

My dealer called me yesterday and said they are going to replace the refrigerator and the extended warranty company has blessed it. The warranty people said they have seen a lot of these lately. Total bill is around 3500 and I will ave to pay my 150 deductible. The industry needs to do something about this. My service manager said that Lazy Days is ne of the only dealers that he knows if that has a dedicated repairman on staff just to work on residential refrigerators.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #17

I'm glad you're warranty company has said to go forward. I'm pretty pissed they denied the other 2 claims of mine but oh well
Old 05-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #18

Got the motorhome back today with a brand new residential refrigerator. Total bill was $3300.00 but I only had to pay $150.00 my deductible. Thank you Xtra Guard. I still find it hard to believe that no authorized Frigidiare repairman would work on it because it was in the motorhome even though the dealer had. Pulled it out of its hole. Forest River and other companies that are putting these units in campers need to find a way that the dealers can get them fixed while still in the camper, I am sure the one they pulled out only need Freon serviced and fix where it leaked, maybe a $200 dollar job but instead the extended warranty service said to just replace it rather than fight with Frigidiare. This one repair just about paid the premium that the extended contract cost me. Again thanks to them and my dealer, Paul Sherry RV, for getting me back on the road.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:27 PM   #19

I just got mine back from the shop. I don't care what it could have cost haha I know it was a $3200 install. Fingers crossed the fridge quits in 2 more years (I have 3 years left on warranty) haha
Old 05-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #20

Mine is still sitting at the dealer, called them on monday and they told me Frigidaire cant be there to check it until 5/18. see what happens
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge