Old 09-17-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Chuck P.

Retracting Electric Stairs in Storage

Just took delivery of a 2013 Georgetown 327. I like to retract the electric entry stairs when I leave the unit in storage, but the stairs won't stay retracted. I close the door from inside and turn off entry stairs after they retract, disconnect the battery and when I open the door to leave, the stairs extend (and not remain retracted). I've done this for all other MH's I owned, but the Georgetown won't work that way. What am I doing wrong?

Chuck P.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

It's a safety so you don't fall to the ground from that height when inside trying to go outside. Easy to fix by installing a switch in the side compartment to turn off the power feed to the steps once retracted from outside or tape a magnet to the sensor on the frame.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasphill View Post
Just took delivery of a 2013 Georgetown 327. I like to retract the electric entry stairs when I leave the unit in storage, but the stairs won't stay retracted. I close the door from inside and turn off entry stairs after they retract, disconnect the battery and when I open the door to leave, the stairs extend (and not remain retracted). I've done this for all other MH's I owned, but the Georgetown won't work that way. What am I doing wrong?

Chuck P.
This is what I do:

Purchased a small bar magnet at Lowes.

With the step switch on, main battery switch on and steps extended I exit the RV, reach into the door and take the bar magnet and position next to the door/step sensor located on the door frame thus causing the steps to retract. Leaving the bar magnet in place I reach in and turn off the step switch, then turn off the main battery switch and gently close/lock the door. Sounds complicated but only takes a couple of seconds.

When I return I just open the door, remove the bar magnet and the steps automatically extend. Reach in and turn the main battery switch on and I'm in business.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #4

I close the screen door and steps retract. Reach through the opening and turn the coach off. When I return just open the door and once the coach is turned in the steps will extend.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank4 View Post
I close the screen door and steps retract. Reach through the opening and turn the coach off. When I return just open the door and once the coach is turned in the steps will extend.
This is what I do but I also turn off my master battery disconnect switch and the switch that actives the steps.

This will insure you disconnect alll your coach batteries.

When you return and open the door the steps will operate via the engine battery only.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
It's a safety so you don't fall to the ground from that height when inside trying to go outside. Easy to fix by installing a switch in the side compartment to turn off the power feed to the steps once retracted from outside or tape a magnet to the sensor on the frame.
Lawyers
Old 09-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #7

It is simple. The stair magnet is attached to the screen door. Close only the screen door then reach through & turn off the master. When you open the doors next time the stairs will
Come out.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwood12800 View Post
It is simple. The stair magnet is attached to the screen door. Close only the screen door then reach through & turn off the master. When you open the doors next time the stairs will
Come out.

I thought we said this but just a few different words.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I thought we said this but just a few different words.
This is what I do also. However, the "official" Forest River answer is to start your generator, turn off the battery disconnect but leave the stairs switch on, shut the door and the stairs will go in. Now....go to the outside generator switch and turn off the generator.

This is the DUMBEST thing I've ever heard of, but if you're too short to reach through the screen door, I guess it's the next best thing to using a magnet or installing a switch.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #10

There is another way, if you have a driver's side door like I do. When everthing is shut off and the stairs retracted, merely exit through the driver's door.

raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote