Old 09-28-2016, 10:44 PM   #11
Another option to consider:
I removed the terrible fold-out sofa bed, and replaced it with a regular bed that I built to fit. The factory sofa was never comfortable to sit or sleep on, and the vinyl upholstery had deteriorated badly. I constructed the new bed frame using 2x4 wood and metal brackets made for 2x4 projects available at Home Depot. A plywood top under the mattress lifts for storage between the 2x4 frame, and there is also storage under the bed. A real innerspring mattress was custom ordered to fit the exact size.

The original brackets that secured the sofa to the floor were reused to secure the bed to the floor for safety. The bed can be removed, and the original sofa reinstalled if needed in the future, but I doubt I would ever want to.

2010 Georgetown 373
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #12
Good idea. Can you provide photos?

360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #13
Originally Posted by siskom View Post
We have a 2014 335DS that has the manual bunk and the rating on the bunk is 350 engineers at FR did stress analysis and upped it to 350. All you need is a frame comparison from your year to 2014 I'll bet they are the same. The manual bunk has few moving parts I suggest you find one with the manual bunk go and take plenty of mounting pics.
I have a 2015 or late 2015 335 with the manual bunk. Did they do this analysis and not change the warning label, mine still says "under 200 lbs." Frankly I find it hard to believe that there are differences in a coach that has one, vs a coach that doesn't. In the drawings that I have of the roof assembly, the only thing that I see is a 6" backer on the ceiling side that is used to anchor the mechanism that holds the bed when it is in the travelling position. In the use position, all of the load is transferred to the cabinetry on the sides over the window and there is no load transferred to the roof. perhaps they don't trust the dealer to install the mechanism correctly.

Those of you who have visited the factory have a better idea of what goes on but I doubt that every component for every coach is tracked based on the options ordered like in an auto plant. Sure the bunk is bolted to the wall cabinets, but do they modify the anchoring of the cabinets during assembly if a berth is ordered?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 335 Overlay Roof Structure.pdf (7.62 MB, 33 views)

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote