Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #1

Right front hub noise - (SOLVED)

Okay, this one has me stumped so putting it out there for the more experienced....

Every morning when we first drive the coach I am getting a speed sensitive clicking noise from the right front wheel/hub area. But only between 40 and 60 kilometers per hour and it goes away after the hub warms up after 15-20 minutes of driving.

The sound is exactly what it sounds like when you have a larger rock in your tire a click-click-click that speeds up or slows down as you speed up or slow down. Unlike a stone it only happens between 40 and 60 kilometers(and there are no stones in the tires). Putting on the brake slightly does not stop the noise and putting on the parking brake slightly does not stop the noise. So it's gotta be hub related not brake related. The fact that it only happens when its cold has me thinking something in the bearing that smoothes out once the grease warms up.

Any bright ideas oh panel of experts???

PS drives great all day after that, no excess heat in the hub, gas mileage normal
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

Wheel bearing is my first guess. Second guess is brakes.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #3

Can you hear it with the window open also going slow?
The wheel covers are notorious for making odd sounds. Try taking the wheel cover off and take it for a spin. related thread
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #4

Yeah was doing all the testing with window open and wife hanging waaaaaayyyyy out listening. Gotta say the view from the drivers seat was very nice

Was going to try the hub cover test tomorrow morning. Could not get them off this morning as I guess I overtightened them last time and the Forest River tool was just spinning on the caps, looks like it bent outwards as the metal on the tool is so thin. Will take them off with a wrench when the hubs are cool. I'd really like it to be that......
Old 05-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #5

My 09 Georgetown 350 with alcoa aluminum rims make the same noise. The dealer put silicone on the lug nuts that hold the covers on. It worked for a short time and started to make the clicking noise again
miked11272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #6

Running a bead of silicone under the edge works good...until you have to change the tire... then you realize you should've let it set up before reinstalling
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Bearings generally get worse with heat, not better. Since the brakes have no effect, eliminate them, for the moment. That leaves hub caps, lug covers, whatever you may have. Remove any and all of it, check the wheel weights and make sure they aren't slipping around, and go for a drive. I know expensive to test drive one, but you got to start eliminating things. Wheel covers first. After that, jack up the front, and swap right front and left front wheel/tire. See if the noise moves with the wheel. Keep us posted.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #8

Thanks all!!

Sounds like the hub covers are the culprit. Took them off last night with a plumbers wrench, looks like my FR tool is toast. We are moving locations again tomorrow so I'll verify the noise is gone then. If thats the case going to try liquid electrical tape on the back edge of the cover and on the underside of the nuts. Will let it dry first before installing Hope that liquid rubber stuff will have a longer life than the softer silicone. Will post results
Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #9

tool dip seems like it shouls work good also. tool dip comes in a can purchased from local tool supply stores and is normaly used on plier handles, screwdrivers or in my case, homade tool.
Denny in Los Lunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #10

FYI was the hub covers, we'll see how long the liquid electrical tape lasts.

Thanks again all.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinkorSwim View Post
FYI was the hub covers, we'll see how long the liquid electrical tape lasts.

Thanks again all.
Is this what you think it is doing?
The center hub wheel covers moving around and rubbing against the aluminum rim while driving?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Is this what you think it is doing?
The center hub wheel covers moving around and rubbing against the aluminum rim while driving?
My driver's side front center cover was making the noise only after traveling about 50 miles so figuring it out wasn't too simple. Someone posted here before about using clear silicone in a few spots. I siliconed mine and it solved the noise problem. I did the other side as well, not sure if that one made the noise but I did it any way. I guess once enough heat gets into the cover the opening must expand just enough for the center to start creeking.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
Canadian Georgetown 369XL

Hi Everyone
I have the same clicking issue coming from my front wheels
I am not clear as to what you are siliconing?
Is it the lug nuts?
does someone have a picture of what to silicone
Old 05-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwing2008 View Post
Hi Everyone
I have the same clicking issue coming from my front wheels
I am not clear as to what you are siliconing?
Is it the lug nuts?
does someone have a picture of what to silicone
In my case it's the center ring. Approximately 4 " Round. It has the star sticker on it. I do believe others have done the lug nut caps as well. I'd start with the center piece and if the noise persists then move on to the lug nut caps.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:56 AM   #15

Yeah was doing all the testing with window open and wife hanging waaaaaayyyyy out listening. Gotta say the view from the drivers seat was very nice
----LMAO! Hail yeah!----

John N.
Madison Heights, Mi.
2009 Salem LE 27RBEC
2013 F250 Lariat 6.2L
Leathergypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #16

I always liked arts and crafts so once I got the liquid electrical tape out I did everything Small circle on front and back of the three larger openings for the lugs, back surface of the nuts, thin bead around outter rim edge that rests on the wheel and bead around inner/outer hub connection seam....that sucker should be whisper quiet now.....
Old 05-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked11272 View Post
My 09 Georgetown 350 with alcoa aluminum rims make the same noise. The dealer put silicone on the lug nuts that hold the covers on. It worked for a short time and started to make the clicking noise again

alcoa aluminum rims ya know thats what i thought also,i e-mailed alcoa to ask best way to polish, its a rim made for ford , got ford stamped on it from china ...
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinkorSwim View Post
Okay, this one has me stumped so putting it out there for the more experienced....

Every morning when we first drive the coach I am getting a speed sensitive clicking noise from the right front wheel/hub area. But only between 40 and 60 kilometers per hour and it goes away after the hub warms up after 15-20 minutes of driving.

The sound is exactly what it sounds like when you have a larger rock in your tire a click-click-click that speeds up or slows down as you speed up or slow down. Unlike a stone it only happens between 40 and 60 kilometers(and there are no stones in the tires). Putting on the brake slightly does not stop the noise and putting on the parking brake slightly does not stop the noise. So it's gotta be hub related not brake related. The fact that it only happens when its cold has me thinking something in the bearing that smoothes out once the grease warms up.

Any bright ideas oh panel of experts???

PS drives great all day after that, no excess heat in the hub, gas mileage normal

if its a clicking ticking noise its your lug nut covers, i just switch them around getting a tighter fit, but i can tell you from a 40 yr retired truck driver, you'll fight them to your death, you can do this or that but you will fight them, but they look good eh ....
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #19

Been a couple of weeks now and no noise so looks like the gooping of liquid electrical tape is going to work.....at least for a while.....
Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #20

I seem to have a very similar although not exact situation. I have a 2011 350. My drivers front wheel seems to make more of a squeak sound instead of a clicking sound. Varies with speed. Braking does not impact the sound. It is very noticeable when cold but seems to diminish after 15 - 20 minutes. I was thinking it was a wheel bearing but after reading this, maybe it is the wheel cover. Anyone noticed more of a squeaking sound instead of a clicking sound.
blightle is offline   Reply With Quote