Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #1

RM1350 Fridge INOP

We planned to leave tomorrow on the maiden long distance RV trip, but our fridge isn't working in electric mode - worked fine the last time we used the RV on a local excursion. Here's the facts - I'm looking for ideas - fast!

1. RV is currently plugged in to household current. All RV breakers are ON.

2. Fridge is in AUTO - all lights work and indicators indicate (same for LP mode). System won't auto shift to LP and doesn't run in electric mode.

3. LP gas is >1/2 and pressure is good. Valve is checked open. I now have the fridge freezer working in LP mode.

4. Have removed and re-applied household power and also unplugged and re-plugged fridge power to no avail.

5. I can't determine how to remove plastic cover for the fridge fuse box to check fuses (the one inside the fridge access panel) - that could be the problem, but don't want to force the cover off. Could use some help on that one I guess.

6. Cranked GEN - no help.

Everyone here is getting the RV blues as the beach appears to be fading fast. I would appreciate any tips or ideas you might have. I know we ran the fridge on household current when we first purchased the RV - what am I missing?

Thanks!!
mjurgen889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #2

If the fridge freezer is working then the rest of the fridge will get cold. For now I would use it in the LP mode; it doesn't use much LP. It sounds as if the upper control board may be malfunctioning since you say it won't auto switch to LP.
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #3

These fridges work way better on LP anyway and you can run it forever on LP..it uses very little gas.
Hit the road...your good to go...don't let that hold you back.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #4

If I'm remembering correctly, when the LP button is in the "on" position it overrides the auto/electric.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
Pete

Make sure your 12 volt system is working. Batteries full of water? Inside light working in fridge when not plugged into shore power? Can you hear the fans running?

A lot of functions in a motorhome run trought the 12 volt power system; even if you're plugged into shore power.
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #6

Thanks!

Dang it, we're just going to go. We've waited too long and it looks like it's going to run on propane just fine. We'll get it checked out when we get back. thanks to all for your inputs.

One last question - is it possible the household circuit doesn't have the available amperage to make it run electrically (but when I plug in to a 50A feed at park it will run fine)? Just curious if this might be part of the problem.

Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #7

If it was trying to pull more current than the household circuit would provide it would just pop the house breaker.

Was the fridge fairly level? How long did you leave it on auto before you determined it wasnt working? They take a long time to cool down so you're better off feeling the area around the electric element for heat or dont check for cooling for about 6hrs. The freezer will cool before the fridge compartment. If it's really not working you might have a burnt out electric element or blown fuse. My fridge is different so I can help getting to that but check the manual.

You can run it on propane all the time if you want. Don't let it delay a trip.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #8

As a new owner, and without a manual (I found one on the internet last night), I definitely underestimated how long this type of fridge takes to cool down. I took the RV back to the dealer and got a good explanation of how the unit works and now feel like it's operating correctly. Your statement, ("the freezer will cool before fridge compartment") is something that I was not aware of - now I know so thanks for pointing that out!

Mike
Old 08-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #9

Don't feel bad. Everyone's first experience with an Amonia absorbtion fridge is the same
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #10

We always start our refrigerator up a day or so before a trip so the freezer has time to normalize. When the bottle of water is frozen, it's time to go.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #11

We always run the fridge a day ahead. It takes that long for the fridge part to cool to 35 degrees...
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote