Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #1

Road less traveled

Hello Campers!

I'm planning a trip next month to Townsend Tn up in the Smoky Mts from southeast Atlanta. I'm looking for a scenic yet manageable route in my GT 351ds. I made the mistake many years ago going up and not planning, somehow we ended up on US129. What an experience 😳.. & a lot of angry motorcyclists......

Let me know if you've taken a route that's enjoyable. I-75 through Chat will get you there but who wants to drive interstate....

Thanks

Mr. G

2015 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrmpy View Post
Hello Campers!

I'm planning a trip next month to Townsend Tn up in the Smoky Mts from southeast Atlanta. I'm looking for a scenic yet manageable route in my GT 351ds. I made the mistake many years ago going up and not planning, somehow we ended up on US129. What an experience 😳.. & a lot of angry motorcyclists......

Let me know if you've taken a route that's enjoyable. I-75 through Chat will get you there but who wants to drive interstate....

Thanks

Mr. G

I cant believe you were on "The Tail of the Dragon"! When my buddy and I ride it on "Nortons" it is constant Up/Down shift,on the gas off the gas, You are a Hell of a Person to Drive a RV on THAT Road! Youroo!!
Old 03-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

In no way this was planned.. I like to travel off the normal highways. So I thought it would be a good idea to take a vacation from our then house in Huntsville Al, to Stone Mountain Ga, to A Gem Mine in the Ga mountains then off to the Smokies. The thing is I wanted to stay off the interstate. Ha ha ha, there is where my problems started. From Al to Ga was wounded full. We stumbled across a small town street fair/carnival. Even the Stone Mt trip to the Gem Mine was great. Getting to the Smokies from there was my down fall 😜. We look back and laugh 😃😃 but during the ordeal it was far from funny. Cabinets would open and close with each curve, and yes there were a boat load of curves. Each time a cabinet would open a can goods, chips or some type food item would fly out. So picture this... Food rolling around everywhere, two dachunds throwing up, one from eating the food rolling around and two from all the curves, the kids not felling well yelling at the dogs then falling into each other & yelling some more, my wife hitting me with the road map, yelling loudly 😡, all the while happy motorcyclists giving me the one finger salute. 😳

Needless to say I'm not allowed to "wing it" on a road trip.

The good thing is we have s nice photo of our rig on the Tail of the dragon. Those guys that sit on the curves with a sign and take your picture 😃.

Happy Trails

Mr. G

MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #4

Mr G,I had to change my diaper after just starting to read this to my Wife! We both are still crying/laughing from your TOD Story! Thanks for the "Blow by Blow Description" of the event! Youroo!!

Tags
led, travel