Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #1

road trip

I am planning a trip from florida to savanna then on to helen GA for october fest can anyone tell me if there are any steep grades on the way there we have never been out of flat yet 1st trip with the 2014 Georgetown 335 towing a ford edge.
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #2

Depends on your route. Helen is in GA mountains so some steep grades on certain routes. Some routes have lots of twists and turns or S style curves winding through valleys and passes. Coming from south GA we generally take the route from Cleveland on GA 75. Don't confuse that with regular 75 that turns off hwy 129 NW of Cleveland.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #3

Yes, steer clear of Hwy-129. We did by mistake, big mistake... It was very entertaining 😱.....

We found it it's called the dragons tail, know for the switch backs. Very popular amongst motorcyclist except when behind an RV doing 15 mph😧

This goes down as one of those memorable vacations 😀

Mr. G

2015 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #4

Watch this video of a motorcycle riding the route.
https://youtu.be/aElX21A3wQU

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap with 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Designated US 129, the road is bordered by the Great Smoky Mountains and the Cherokee National Forest, with no intersecting roads or driveways to hamper your travel. It is considered “the destination” for thousands of motorcycle and sports car fans throughout the spring, summer, and fall. Can you brave it? It’s best to be cautious as the turns are tight, but the Tail of the Dragon is guaranteed to be the ride of your life!
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #5

Whaaaatttt?? You do not come anywhere close to Deal's Gap coming from Florida. I have been on that route MANY times, GA 75 out of Cleveland to HELEN....last time was 3 weeks ago. Roads have NO scary twisties and traffic flows 50+ mph in almost every area. Even TIGHTER areas are all 45!
I am a biker and seek out curves. Not any worth mentioning on that route.
I keep my RV home base at R Ranch, Dahlonega, and have spent so many hours on those roads since 1992 I can close my eyes and visualize them!
My 2015 Silverback is 37 ft. NO, I would not travel on Deal's Gap north.
You cannot SAFELY make the curves on that route. MANY BIG TRUCKS bringing goods to GA travel that as a necessity evil. MANY ACCIDENTS. Blind curves and line crossing and BAM!!
You will NOT encounter this coming from Florida to Helen!!
PM me for places to see while in the area!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #6

Funny this should come up...My wife and I have a trip to Helen scheduled for 7-9 September. We wanted to avoid the Oktoberfest crowds and just enjoy the quaint, quiet little town. We're taking the motorcycle, a Honda VFR1200. We're also planning a trip to Deal's Gap sometime in the near future, again with the motorcycle.
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:12 AM   #7

I've never been to Helen but hear it's very nice. Any recommendations on camping grounds..

Mr. G

Mr. G

2015 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #8

N Georgia Mountains

RV PARKS:
* Unicoi State Park in Helen
* Creekwood Resort; 5 miles out
Located in Sautee Nacooche, GA

DO NOT MISS: Brasstown Bald
Highest point in GA. Can see 3 or 4 states from peak on a clear day. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE YOUR RV UP THERE; period...

Do visit DAHLONEGA, GA. Great small town. Federal Gold Mining Museum.
Site of first eastern US Gold Rush!

Passport America or Coast to Coast can book at our private ranch resort:
Rranchga.com 800 acres of beauty, relaxation and SECURITY, 25 minutes from Helen. Been an owner there 9 years....keep my RV there when not traveling.

DO NOT MISS: Richard Russell Highway ( which is anything but that)
Which crosses the mountain terrain from Helen area towards Blairsville. Soft easy curves; 2 lanes and VIEWS that are breathtaking from the crest.
About 20 miles long. If coming from Helen, Richard Russell intersects (dead ends) where you make a RIGHT to go to Brasstown Bald. A left and 1/4 mile and at the intersection another left ( you can only go left or right) takes you across Blood Mountain which is gorgeous! A starting/ending of the Appachian Trail.
Stop at the all stone store at the top of the crest, cannot miss it. Meet x country hikers with packs. Store itself has unbelieveable amount of gear, books, etc....
I have traveled this area for 25 years and it is ever changing, but, maintains it's Country charm!!
Plan and GO!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #9
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
Whaaaatttt?? You do not come anywhere close to Deal's Gap coming from Florida. I have been on that route MANY times, GA 75 out of Cleveland to HELEN....last time was 3 weeks ago. Roads have NO scary twisties and traffic flows 50+ mph in almost every area. Even TIGHTER areas are all 45!
I am a biker and seek out curves. Not any worth mentioning on that route.
I keep my RV home base at R Ranch, Dahlonega, and have spent so many hours on those roads since 1992 I can close my eyes and visualize them!
My 2015 Silverback is 37 ft. NO, I would not travel on Deal's Gap north.
You cannot SAFELY make the curves on that route. MANY BIG TRUCKS bringing goods to GA travel that as a necessity evil. MANY ACCIDENTS. Blind curves and line crossing and BAM!!
You will NOT encounter this coming from Florida to Helen!!
PM me for places to see while in the area!
I have to agree! You stated that your coming in to Helen from Savannah so the route to Helen won't be bad at all. Hardly any curves or grades from that direction. I've driven that route and it wasn't bad at all.

Helen is an awesome place!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-01_9-34-40.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	87495  

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #10

Helen

It turns out we will be going to Helen to either Unicoi or Creekwood campground but from Lake Hartwell near 85 what do you all think?
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote