Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #1

Rodents in Motor Home

Hi all,

I live in Olympia, WA and have a 2003 Georgetown 30' MH. I just recently trapped a roof rat that tried to make a home for the winter. Now comes to sterilization of the complete unit. This rat came up from under the dash and got into the pink fiberglass insulation that FR shoved in there for insulation.

My question is: Has anyone had a rodent problem and how did you close up any gaps to keep this rodents out especially under the dash area?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

well how did it get into the body to begin with?
Old 10-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

Mike, Last year was the first year owning a 5th wheel and soon after parking it for the winter I noticed we had a mouse.

We had the camper plugged in (to 120v) all the time so I bought some Black and Decker plug in rodent repellers (don't know the proper name of these things). The type that give off some annoying frequency that rodents dislike. It worked, after that I never found any sign of mouse activity.

I don't know if this will work for you in your situation, but they do seem to work.

Good luck,

Joe
smilin joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #4

Hi Joe & The Stuff,

I'll try the plug in rodent repellers. It seems the rat came up from the front end of the motor home. I took the entire dash apart and resealed everything so hopefully no more pests.

Thanks for replyiing..........

mike................
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #5

rodents

Ages ago we read somewhere that mice, rats, etc HATE scented dryer sheets, such as Bounce. Since then we always stuff a couple of them wherever rodents may enter either our truck or TT and we haven't had a problem - we renew them about every 6 months! Good luck!
Jeff & Mary
jmlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlocke View Post
Ages ago we read somewhere that mice, rats, etc HATE scented dryer sheets, such as Bounce. Since then we always stuff a couple of them wherever rodents may enter either our truck or TT and we haven't had a problem - we renew them about every 6 months! Good luck!
Jeff & Mary
actually lots of things hate those sheets! got a camper once with tons of the sheets all over and there was not one bug or corpse of one in that whole unit!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #7

no more rodents

dryer sheets are the answer!
jmlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #8

I've actually had the same problem, and I found that this rodent control site was pretty good for getting rid of the pests.
Sam Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #9

I tried using the Bounce sheets and they actually used them as a blanket they shredded them up and made a nest out of them!! A little too cozy for my liking! I read about the product called Mouse Free it was on the RV Doctor's website. He put pictures of the coating being applied to the bottom of a fifth wheel. It seems to make sense because the bottom is where everybody says that you have to seal up all the holes. Has anybody used Mouse Free? It looks like a really new idea.
Monica2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #10

Dryer sheets have worked well for us for the past three years; also Irish Spring soap. We use both and leave them in all the cupboards and corners, and anywhere that looks remotely like it could be an opening.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #11

we put moth cakes in our camper and they work great they come i9n three packs and you just open up the cakes and put them in plastic holders and hang them in camper in spring just open windows and all smell is gone in 30 minutes
jkklops is offline   Reply With Quote