Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #1

Roku or Google chromecast or a smart Blu ray player

Does anyone use these devices to take advantage of the wifi in campsites for TV programming other than on air channels?
Old 05-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #2

I use a chromecast and a miracast devise in the RV. The miricast simply displays whatever is playing on my tablet.

the chromecast does what a ChromeCast does
Old 05-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

The problem with most RV parks' WiFi is they don't allow you or are not capable of providing streaming video.
Hopefully that will change in the near future.
This is way we still use satellite TV.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
Always Learning

We have a Roku at each TV in my camper, however- only a couple of times was the campground's wifi good enough to actually stream anything.

However, we have our own in-camper setup where we can access my entire DVD collection. That's 90% of what we watch.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #5
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
However, we have our own in-camper setup where we can access my entire DVD collection. That's 90% of what we watch.
Ependydad .. what are you using for your in-camper set-up? I'm thinking of a Plex server, or maybe using Playon/PlayLater.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
Ependydad .. what are you using for your in-camper set-up? I'm thinking of a Plex server, or maybe using Playon/PlayLater.

Much simpler than that- I bought a Seagate Wireless Plus hard drive and put all of my media on that. We used it almost exclusively for our 2-month trip last year and it worked well.

I wouldn't mind a Playon/Playlater if I had a server setup at home to pull TV content off of periodically. But, I'm very lacking home theater/media stuff at home.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #7

I use Roku or AppleTV in mine. If the campground's wifi is not good enough to stream video, i can connect to my phone's wifi hotspot.
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1911 View Post
I use Roku or AppleTV in mine. If the campground's wifi is not good enough to stream video, i can connect to my phone's wifi hotspot.

Requires 4g and uses lots of data doesn't it? Data can get pretty expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:28 AM   #9
CCRVOC

Quote:
Much simpler than that- I bought a Seagate Wireless Plus hard drive and put all of my media on that. We used it almost exclusively for our 2-month trip last year and it worked well.

I wouldn't mind a Playon/Playlater if I had a server setup at home to pull TV content off of periodically. But, I'm very lacking home theater/media stuff at home.
Do you stream to your television or just portable devices? Very interesting, I will check that out. Thanks !
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Old 05-04-2015, 07:24 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Do you stream to your television or just portable devices? Very interesting, I will check that out. Thanks !

Both, but primarily televisions- that's why we have a Roku at each one. The Roku Media "channel" finds the hard drive as a media server and let's you pick anything that you want to watch from it.

This talks more about the ripping process than you may need, but this may help explain my setup:
http://www.learntorv.com/2014/06/rip...-portable.html
Old 05-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #11

Quote:

X2 on the Seagate Drive -2TB of Movie/TV Show watching goodness!
Amazon.com: Seagate Wireless Plus 2TB Portable Hard Drive with Built-in WiFi (STCV2000100): Computers & Accessories

For Streaming, Apple TV all the way!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #12

We use a Roku through our hotspot. No WIFI at most campgrounds we go to or can't use it for streaming if there is. I found that I can cut down on data usage a bunch by setting the Roku to output only standard resolution to the TV. It still looks good on the TV and cuts down bandwidth by easily 4 times. Don't know if you can use the resolution change on other devices but it works great on the Roku.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #13
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

We use an Microsoft XBox to connect to Netflix
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
CCRVOC

Quote:
Both, but primarily televisions- that's why we have a Roku at each one. The Roku Media "channel" finds the hard drive as a media server and let's you pick anything that you want to watch from it.

This talks more about the ripping process than you may need, but this may help explain my setup:
Learn To RV: Ripping DVDs to make them portable
Yes, very good write-up...that is a great idea and transportable...it is much easier than setting up plex that I was thinking about.
What do you use to rip TV shows? Does the Seagate play well with multiple media formats, i.e. avi, mov, mpeg, etc...? Or does the Seagate not care and the Roku takes care of it?
Old 05-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Yes, very good write-up...that is a great idea and transportable...it is much easier than setting up plex that I was thinking about.

What do you use to rip TV shows? Does the Seagate play well with multiple media formats, i.e. avi, mov, mpeg, etc...? Or does the Seagate not care and the Roku takes care of it?

Thanks for the kind words.

I've only ripped season DVDs and use the same softwares - AnyDVD and Handbrake.

The Seagate doesn't really care; it's more about the Roku. I think I typically just do .m4v - I'm not overly concerned about quality.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
We also bring our entertainment along with us on a HDD, so no need to rely on internet signals. My Media Player of choice is the WDTV by Western Digital (picked for it's long list of compatible file formats). This solution is not ideal for anyone who still relies on "live TV" though (news, sports, etc.). We have not watched live TV in nearly 15 years though....and don't miss it one bit!
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #17

The roku is the best streaming device. It's definitely better than the chromecast in a number of ways including channels. I have unlimited data so we use that as a mobile hotspot and watch the roku when we go camping.
motodude79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #18

I've used Chromecast, and Roku but I like my Sony smart bluray player best. About $80 so a little more but tons of apps and bluray. Can probably get it cheaper as I got mine at Bestbuy.
Ben-racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
Requires 4g and uses lots of data doesn't it? Data can get pretty expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
It does require a lot of data, but i have enough data that we can watch a couple of movies and some other shows here and there. Definitely wouldn't have it streaming for long periods of time.
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #20
Anacortesians

We got a freebie ROKU stick when we got our big digital TV last fall. After plugging it in and looking what it would provide, I dumped it. We don't watch TV that much and certainly not feature length movies, so it was no use to us.

If anybody would like to have it, drop me a PM.