Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #1

Roof Vent fan, add on

Hi all,

I have a 2016 335 DL with no fan on the vent in the main living area.

So, two questions:

1) Does anyone know the brand of vent that is installed at the factory?
2) Has anyone used the Vortex (Heng) add in fan kit?

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Heng-...97B55E4302151F

Thanks!
Outtahere100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #2

My rig has a Fan-Tastic Fan in the main living space and bathroom.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #3

I do not believe I have ever heard a bad word about Fantastic fans... many different models available on amazon... I have two in my Shamrock... quiet and efficient. I installed one in my tow vehicle Dodge van roof a number of years ago. If you are short think about a remote control model.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #4

Fan

Hello, I installed the Heng's Vortex in our kitchen area vent about two years ago, and it works really good. I do have to nudge the screen guard sometimes, because it rubs up against the fan sometimes. The different speeds forward and back is nice. I use it a lot to suck out the fumes when cooking. There was a 12 volt wire in the vent area in mine making the install pretty easy. Hope this helps
JoePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere100 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2016 335 DL with no fan on the vent in the main living area.

So, two questions:

1) Does anyone know the brand of vent that is installed at the factory?
2) Has anyone used the Vortex (Heng) add in fan kit?

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Heng-...97B55E4302151F

Thanks!

We have the top of the line model from Fantastic Fan in the living room/kitchen.....the one with the remote control unit. This allows you to mount the holder for the remote wherever you think makes the best sense. It has the rain sensor and closes itself, multiple speeds in and out. They come on sale every so often.

I also installed the one speed only Vortex in the bathroom to replace the lousy stock fan that was in the bathroom. Nice thing is, the entire installation can be done from inside, even on a rainy day if you have a vent cover. It really does the job, but not as quiet as the Fantastic line of fans, but not as expensive either.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePK View Post
Hello, I installed the Heng's Vortex in our kitchen area vent about two years ago, and it works really good. I do have to nudge the screen guard sometimes, because it rubs up against the fan sometimes. The different speeds forward and back is nice. I use it a lot to suck out the fumes when cooking. There was a 12 volt wire in the vent area in mine making the install pretty easy. Hope this helps
Great, thank you!
Outtahere100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #7
Seasoned Camper-MH newbie

I also installed the vortex last year in the kitchen area, as well as replacing the bath fan.

What’s really nice is there were wires “right there” for the kitchen vortex. Just tapped into them.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
CGK
Camping with Labs

I replaced the stock bathroom fan in our last TT with the Heng's single speed fan. Since there was already a 12 volt source, and since the Vortex uses the existing housing, it was a simple install. It moved a lot of air, but it was loud. I also added a Vortex in the kitchen/living area. I got the reversible, multi-speed fan for that, thinking it might be more versatile than the simple bathroom vent fan. I did have to find a 12 volt source, since there had been no fan in that vent previously - and running those wires can be challenging at times - but it worked just fine. Don't think it took more than 2 beers to finish the job. The lower speeds were not nearly as loud as the high speed (or the single speed bathroom fan). These work well if you want a simple, relatively inexpensive solution; but there is a noise factor you may not like.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139_988.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	207596
One of the things bad about the original standard RV fans is that it is a 6" fan in a 14" opening with no baffle. So the fan seems to cause more turbulence than exhaust flow. What I did is I added a baffle that I made from clear plexiglass. I cut a hole in the plexiglass a little bigger than the diameter of the fan blades and a smaller hole for the switch. I removed the screen and attached the baffle to the cross brace and then reinstalled the screen. I used some weather stripping around the edges of the baffle the seal it to the fan housing. The baffle makes the fan move more air out, the fan is not as loud, and the clear plexiglass still allows light to enter.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #10
Newly Retired

I installed the less expensive, three speed, reverceable fan. Wish I had gone with the fantastic. Much quieter and more effective.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #11

Another fan option

In my last TT I installed 2 Megaflow 200 computer fans under the vent screens. The bathroom fan I discarded and attached 2 sides of the fan to the center brace and reused the current 12v wiring and fan switch. Computer fans are so quiet you have to listen to hear the fans running. The 200s move a lot of air. Some come with either 4 corner blue or green LED lights. They make great night lights and look pretty neat lighting up the vent cover outside on the roof. I also did the vent in the LR splicing into a 12v light wire under the ceiling panel with a different light color from the bathroom. They cost around $19.00 at Newegg.

-Bob
Bob2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #12
Lca
Red River Camper

Does anyone know what brand bathroom vent fan is factory installed in a 2018 Georgetown GT5 31L5. Our fan is undamaged but the rooftop dome/cap and rim were blown off in a storm. We can find no brand name on the fan assembly. Ir is a one arm-5 blade unit. Appreciate any help.
Lca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lca View Post
Does anyone know what brand bathroom vent fan is factory installed in a 2018 Georgetown GT5 31L5. Our fan is undamaged but the rooftop dome/cap and rim were blown off in a storm. We can find no brand name on the fan assembly. Ir is a one arm-5 blade unit. Appreciate any help.
They are a pretty generic fan but I don't necessarily think the dome on those is specific to the fan. Quite a few folks have complained about the domes just crumbling and falling apart. I think most replace them with something better.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #14

We will be adding either a Fantastic or Maxxaire to our living area this fall. The vent by itself is not all that helpful. I want something I can use in the rain though.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #15
NXR

I had the rear bath and the living area OEM fans ripped out because they are just puny and move no air. The FR rep on our factory tour said they're there to provide an opening and power if someone wants to put in a real fan. I replaced them with the MaxxAir 7000K's (white) to let some light through. 10-speed, remote control, reversible, built-in shroud, automatic open and close and very quiet.

My DW is shorter than me so she needed to stand on a stepstool to turn the useless thing on or off and to crank the handle. That's a fall waiting to happen. The 7000K's have an IR remote control so she can safely turn them on and off, and reverse the direction to exhaust humidity out of the bathroom.

I had a shroud added to the 1/2 bath OEM fan to save some bucks but I may rethink that move later on.

Ray
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
They are a pretty generic fan but I don't necessarily think the dome on those is specific to the fan. Quite a few folks have complained about the domes just crumbling and falling apart. I think most replace them with something better.

My half bath dome ripped off in a trip so I replaced with a stronger dome as well.
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, roo, roof, vent