Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #11

I read sithc's comments to mean that it tripped the breaker AT the generator. But you are correct that on the panel inside the coach, one breaker is for one ac, and other for the other.

Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
I read sithc's comments to mean that it tripped the breaker AT the generator. But you are correct that on the panel inside the coach, one breaker is for one ac, and other for the other.
Correct. There is also two 30 amp breakers on the generator. That's why I was thinking that each breaker on the generator would be for each AC and also feeding the separate breakers inside

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #13

Got it. On our last trip the gen ran all night carrying both AC's and did great, but in the morning, after running all night, the gen coughed a few times, causing a quick succession of beeps. Power was disrupted briefly then restored, and it worked fine after that. Strange. Going to have our local Cummins Onan service center check it out this week. It almost sounded like bad gas but who knows.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #14

I can run both a/c's on the gen, but I have to start them staggered. if they both try start at the same time, the gen will choke
Old 08-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #15

cjd10, the breaker that trip is on the generator. Only one of them keeps tripping. Maybe its cuz I have the residential fridge on as well trying to run two AC. Sometimes the bedroom TV is on. I guess I'm just using too much power.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithc View Post
cjd10, the breaker that trip is on the generator. Only one of them keeps tripping. Maybe its cuz I have the residential fridge on as well trying to run two AC. Sometimes the bedroom TV is on. I guess I'm just using too much power.
I don't believe you are using too much power. I have the residential fridge also and have no problems running both ACs, both TVs, and the microwave at the same time while running off the generator.
I did go out and try turning off one breaker at a time on my generator to see what would happen. If either breaker is tripped, all AC power is lost to the coach. Sorry 43D18, I assumed half the coach would still have power if only one breaker tripped. Apparently the transfer switch has to have both legs to supply power.
Have to say I'm not sure why you are having problems unless you have a weak breaker on the generator. You might make sure the water heater is not set to run off electric as that can pull a good bit of current.

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #17

I rewired mine with a switch on the generator feed to the rear air so that if I have an extra 15 or 20 amp plug in at the post I can run both AC at once. I flip the switch back and it runs separate as normal. I have it set up to run a 20 amp cord to the box when available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums