Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
Running Both AC on 351DS

I'm a Computer Scientist and know nothing about electrical engineering. We're in a state park with only 30 amp service. I can run one AC full bore and the other on FAN and still run the satellite tv, DVD players etc. What are the max amp that one AC draws and can you run both AC if you minimize all other electricity to sleep at night? I would rather not run the genny at night because of the noise.

Stan and Patti
2014 Georgetown 351DS
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #2

I can say with confidence that you can only run one AC at a time on 30 amp service. We have the exact same coach, and while we choose 50 amp service whenever it's available, it's rare that we really *need* both ac's running at the same time, particularly at night. Both AC's share the same ducting system so if you have the fan running on one, and the AC on the other, you should get very good air circulation and keep the entire coach comfortable.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #3

A 13,500 will draw around 12 amps running but startup amps are more and will spike--probably around 15 or more. Thus on 30 amp service if you have any other electrical draw you don't have enough amperage to run two ac units for any length of time.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
scivilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scivilla View Post
A 13,500 will draw around 12 amps running but startup amps are more and will spike--probably around 15 or more. Thus on 30 amp service if you have any other electrical draw you don't have enough amperage to run two ac units for any length of time.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
x2 What he said! ^
Old 08-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

I can typically run my Forward AC at night and get plenty of air to be comfortable in the rear of the coach at night, and that's in FL heat. especially, if you keep the coach at a reasonable temp throughout the day.
chrisbailey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #6

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but somewhat in the same subject matter. I have the 351DS and I sometimes I'm successful in running both AC off the generator. Sometimes it would run only a little before it trips the breaker on the generator. Do I assume there's not enough power to run both at the same time from the generator?
sithc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #7

Generator should run both AC's.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This should help you tremendously.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...aws-17300.html

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
Agreed, mine does run both AC with the gen on. The only thing that bugs my wife when we have the AC's on is I have to plug her Keurig into the aux 120 outlet that most sites have. It and the microwave sometimes sends me hunting for the breakers. But when you are up in the mountains and its dead quiet, the gen does make a bunch of noise.

Stan and Patti
2014 Georgetown 351DS
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #10

I have no problem running both AC's off the generator. Microwave will run also but don't know that I have ever tried microwave and coffee maker at the same time.

When you say it trips the breaker on the generator, does that shut down both AC's? I'm pretty sure one breaker is for one AC and the other for the 2nd.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #11

I read sithc's comments to mean that it tripped the breaker AT the generator. But you are correct that on the panel inside the coach, one breaker is for one ac, and other for the other.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
I read sithc's comments to mean that it tripped the breaker AT the generator. But you are correct that on the panel inside the coach, one breaker is for one ac, and other for the other.
Correct. There is also two 30 amp breakers on the generator. That's why I was thinking that each breaker on the generator would be for each AC and also feeding the separate breakers inside

Charleston SC
Old 08-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #13

Got it. On our last trip the gen ran all night carrying both AC's and did great, but in the morning, after running all night, the gen coughed a few times, causing a quick succession of beeps. Power was disrupted briefly then restored, and it worked fine after that. Strange. Going to have our local Cummins Onan service center check it out this week. It almost sounded like bad gas but who knows.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #14

I can run both a/c's on the gen, but I have to start them staggered. if they both try start at the same time, the gen will choke
chrisbailey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:27 AM   #15

cjd10, the breaker that trip is on the generator. Only one of them keeps tripping. Maybe its cuz I have the residential fridge on as well trying to run two AC. Sometimes the bedroom TV is on. I guess I'm just using too much power.
sithc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithc View Post
cjd10, the breaker that trip is on the generator. Only one of them keeps tripping. Maybe its cuz I have the residential fridge on as well trying to run two AC. Sometimes the bedroom TV is on. I guess I'm just using too much power.
I don't believe you are using too much power. I have the residential fridge also and have no problems running both ACs, both TVs, and the microwave at the same time while running off the generator.
I did go out and try turning off one breaker at a time on my generator to see what would happen. If either breaker is tripped, all AC power is lost to the coach. Sorry 43D18, I assumed half the coach would still have power if only one breaker tripped. Apparently the transfer switch has to have both legs to supply power.
Have to say I'm not sure why you are having problems unless you have a weak breaker on the generator. You might make sure the water heater is not set to run off electric as that can pull a good bit of current.

Charleston SC
Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #17

I rewired mine with a switch on the generator feed to the rear air so that if I have an extra 15 or 20 amp plug in at the post I can run both AC at once. I flip the switch back and it runs separate as normal. I have it set up to run a 20 amp cord to the box when available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Papa John is offline   Reply With Quote