Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Happy Member

running Both AC's while Driving?

Do you run both AC's while you are driving your Class A?

we'll be driving thru Vegas this weekend and forecast calls over 100 while we go thru it, how do you keep your MH cool inside?

we have the 5.5 genie on our 2013 GT 351DFS....just wondering what everybody does?

George
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We only use the front unit on AC while traveling. Generally it's not too hot and there's no one back in the bedroom as we travel. When we stop to rest we have turned the 2nd unit on.
You can always run the rear unit on Fan only and the front unit on AC. The ducting is shared front to back by both units. The generator will run both units. However if you stop and use the microwave and a coffee maker you may trip one of the breakers on the generator. Found that one out from experience on our way to Myrtle Beach a few years back. I believe DW was using a hair dryer at the same time as well.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #3

Wink

We're leaving at Noon on a 112-mi. trip to Lake Isabella, and both a/c's are running right now to pre-cool the unit. It's probably going to hit 108 here and up there today, so they'll both run all the way up there, one on all night, and both on all four days that we're up there! $$$$$!

But, OTOH, If Momma ain't happy.......
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Happy Member

thanks much - I really appreciate your comments. We were coming back from 102 weather with both AC's running and the Genie turned off but I think the kids overpowered it since they went in the back to watch TV....and then both AC were off so I was puzzled!
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #5

Went to Myrtle Beach last year it was 104 in North Carolina a/c could not keep up it felt like a microwave oven. I tinted my drivers and passengers windows it made a big difference in the amount of heat inside the a/c does not have to work as hard. Went to Florida I only needed to run the dash a/c
miked11272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Happy Member

Hmmm, I never thought about that, but why should the back be so hot though?
I mean it was roughly 103......
:-)
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #7

Coming home from Lake Tahoe Tues, coming through Ridgecrest, CA it was 109. Had both airs on plus the engine air. Nice and comfy inside.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Happy Member

We were coming back from Rancho Cucamonga, Ca it was 102...... and heading to Zion, UT forecast calls for 107.....Yikes!
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 07-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKJJS View Post

we'll be driving thru Vegas this weekend and forecast calls over 100 while we go thru it, how do you keep your MH cool inside?

we have the 5.5 genie on our 2013 GT 351DFS....just wondering what everybody does?

George
I run all 3 air conditioners when it's hot. The two on the roof and the engine air. I've never had an issue keeping it cool and I've never blown a breaker.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKJJS View Post

George
I have a 5500 onan on my 360 and while on the road I can only use one ac unit because when I turn on the second on the gfi flips. Any suggestions?
Hjs12e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #11

GFIs wearout. Stop at Home Depot, pickup a new one that fits your outlet and trade it out. See if that does the job. I'm always replacing my outside breakers.

Or, when you say GFI do you mean another breaker?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #12

We just got back from a trip from our home in Palmdale, CA, to Lake Isabella, where it was 103-105 during the day, and only down to 85 or so at night!

Both A/C's ran 24/7 from the time we left home until two hours after we got back! The 2 hours were while I had it out back to dump and clean out before parking it beside the house where it lives.

I had to go into town, buy a 6-gallon jug, and make two trips to the gas station on Saturday to make sure I had enough fuel to keep the gennie going through the last night up there. It was cheaper to do this with the toad than to break camp and take the Moho to the station.

I cut the ends off of my 10' hose to make a siphon, and plan to air out the jug and carry it in the Liberty toad from now on, when we're on extended dry camps. Weathermen lie sometimes!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjs12e View Post
I have a 5500 onan on my 360 and while on the road I can only use one ac unit because when I turn on the second on the gfi flips. Any suggestions?
Have the same generator and running both AC units is not a problem. Sounds like there's something else going on there. The GFI is not supposed to be part on either AC circuit. Seems strange why that would trip by turning on the 2nd AC Unit. Does it matter which unit is running first? The AC Units circuits should be independently ran directly from a 20 amp breaker for each unit. Does this happen on shore power as well?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 07-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post

Have the same generator and running both AC units is not a problem. Sounds like there's something else going on there. The GFI is not supposed to be part on either AC circuit. Seems strange why that would trip by turning on the 2nd AC Unit. Does it matter which unit is running first? The AC Units circuits should be independently ran directly from a 20 amp breaker for each unit. Does this happen on shore power as well?
Ac goes out only when your on the road. Breakers don't trip. When it goes out it takes out both units, after about 5 min the one front ac comes back on. Back ac stays off and gfi is tripped. No problems when rv is parked.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Ac goes out only when your on the road. Breakers don't trip. When it goes out it takes out both units, after about 5 min the one front ac comes back on. Back ac stays off and gfi is tripped. No problems when rv is parked.
Wow! That's strange. You may need to take it to a dealer and have them try to recreate the problem. I wonder if the transfer switch might be acting up as you travel? I'd be interested to hear what the solution to the problem is. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #16
Happy Member

Just came back from Zion NP, Utah - Put our new MH to the test 100+ degree weather on the road. On the way there From California thru Vegas we turned on both AC's by the time we got there the Breaker for the front AC had triggered off. everything else was fine.....On the way back, We only turned-on the rear AC & the driver AC which maintained the coach fairly OK (not cold) so we are adjusting and learning and what works on our new Big Red Clifford as my daughter (4 year old) calls it!
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Hjs12e , I have experienced this same concern on my new XL... When using generator and turning on the 2nd a/c unit, the transfer switch kicks out and both units cycle off, then the ATS tries to pull back in and makes a buzzing sound,have toturn one of the units off when its hot outside,once temps start to drop for the day I can run both units all night. I was told today by a dealer that is looking at mine right now, that both a/c units are on the same circuit and that circuit can't carry the load in the heat of the day for both units,so the tech has moved one of the a/c units to another circuit (im not sure yet what they've done, but I'm told it resolved my issue!) I will verify and up date you when I get my unit back,probably next week sometime. Having several issues adressed this week....
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
Hjs12e , I have experienced this same concern on my new XL... When using generator and turning on the 2nd a/c unit, the transfer switch kicks out and both units cycle off, then the ATS tries to pull back in and makes a buzzing sound,have toturn one of the units off when its hot outside,once temps start to drop for the day I can run both units all night. I was told today by a dealer that is looking at mine right now, that both a/c units are on the same circuit and that circuit can't carry the load in the heat of the day for both units,so the tech has moved one of the a/c units to another circuit (im not sure yet what they've done, but I'm told it resolved my issue!) I will verify and up date you when I get my unit back,probably next week sometime. Having several issues adressed this week....
I have a appt on Thursday at the dealer. I will mention what you have stated about the circuit. Will reply back to the forum once I get rv back. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #19

Friend say that in IDAHO 109* both airs and engine air running still will not get below 80* in the coach. That is set up at camp site no shade.
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #20
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
Sounds like they rearranged the breakers in the electric panel. With the 50 amp service, each side should have roughly the same number of circuits. 1-AC Unit, Microwave and GFIC Receptacles on one side and the 2nd AC Unit, Water Heater and regular receptacles on the other side of the 50 amp double pole breaker main. Wonder if both AC units were off the same side of the 50 amp breaker while the Microwave and water heater were on the opposite side of the 50 amp. breaker.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR