Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 01:16 AM   #1

Rust

I have a brand new GT 5 31R5. Does anyone have a lot of issues with rust?
azino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azino View Post
New to RV industry like you - they play on the uneducated (RV) experience of their new customers to sell crap that has NO QC at all! Had I known what this industry was composed of .... The ONLY protection ANY&EVERY buyer has is their PDI. After that, you are ____!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bumps.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	167963  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #3

Our GT was a year old when we bought it. I used 5 cans of Rustoleum Flat black on all the framework underneath I could get to. Didn't get it all and now 6 years later I need to do it again.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #4

Forest River needs a better process or a different production manager. Totally unsatisfactory.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Forest River needs a better process or a different production manager. Totally unsatisfactory.
Forest River doesn't build the chassis for the Georgetown motor home.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #6

Agreed, but they need to ensure that these chassis are built just in time to meet production built outs. If they receive faulty units from the manufactures, they need to reject them. QC should be there number one concern. If we are paying big dollars for these complete units, customers don’t want to purchase a rust bucket.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #7

My Ford chassis was fine...it was all the bits that FR put on it that were rusty.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #8

Rust

Quote:

I think most do. Engine parts, brake drums frame, etc.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:29 AM   #9

The only way any of this will stop is a revolution - The word needs to get out how non-existent any QC is during production - In other words NOT DONE AT ALL! and how important a 3 day or more PDI is really required and most importantly, be ready to walk and get your deposit back if it fails. I had NO IDEA that this industry was full of Liars, cheats, and bullies when I first started getting interested. It is a well done camouflage effort by the industry to cover it up. We need to talk to everyone we know, TT, RV owners or NOT. Educate future prospects to be warned!!!! Civic responsibility. I personally have persuaded over a dozen to not purchase an RV. Tough sell, but showed them the evidence and it became a no-brainer to look at something else to do.

Regarding the Ford chassis, I am convinced it arrives OK from Ford, it is FR's lack of QC that stacks them outside for months or years (yes) developing the rust and they do nothing about it except try to blame Ford so that they do not have a warranty claim -LOL.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:38 AM   #10

That’s what it seems like to me. FR needs to do a better job. My MH is at the dealership, and some of the rusty components are being replaced. Other items are being repaired. Less than four months old, I am very disappointed.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #11

My Ford SUV also has rust on engine parts, exhaust manifold etc. Sat on the sales lot through the winter in the Northeast. They all need to be made of better materials. Of course then many of us would not be able to afford them.[emoji41]
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
My Ford SUV also has rust on engine parts, exhaust manifold etc. Sat on the sales lot through the winter in the Northeast. They all need to be made of better materials. Of course then many of us would not be able to afford them.[emoji41]
Enough is enough. This customer base that keeps giving them a free pass is why they keep Shixxing on all of us, even the ones that do not want to take it - anymore!

Again, all they have to make is a Chevy (no finger pointing here), not a Mercedes or Rolls, but get the heck out of the Yugo business - yes even Tiffin and Newmar are Yugos - at a higher price. Don't think so, just visit their forums. It sounds a lot like ours with the same problems, but they are willing to drive cross country hundreds or thousands of miles, take a number (no appointments possible), wait in line for weeks, then patiently sit as the factory repairs what should have never left the factory in that condition. Oh, and now sing praise Alleluia the factory is so wonderful! Reminds me of --------.

All RV manufactures are bullies foremost, liars, cheats, thieves, and greedy. Just because you want an "inexpensive" form of travel, enjoyment, retirement,.... there is no excuse for this behavior by manufactures. Stop looking the other way. You make it harder for those of us that hold them accountable for bad behavior. Wake up fellow RVers.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:46 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Enough is enough. This customer base that keeps giving them a free pass is why they keep Shixxing on all of us, even the ones that do not want to take it - anymore!

Again, all they have to make is a Chevy (no finger pointing here), not a Mercedes or Rolls, but get the heck out of the Yugo business - yes even Tiffin and Newmar are Yugos - at a higher price. Don't think so, just visit their forums. It sounds a lot like ours with the same problems, but they are willing to drive cross country hundreds or thousands of miles, take a number (no appointments possible), wait in line for weeks, then patiently sit as the factory repairs what should have never left the factory in that condition. Oh, and now sing praise Alleluia the factory is so wonderful! Reminds me of --------.

All RV manufactures are bullies foremost, liars, cheats, thieves, and greedy. Just because you want an "inexpensive" form of travel, enjoyment, retirement,.... there is no excuse for this behavior by manufactures. Stop looking the other way. You make it harder for those of us that hold them accountable for bad behavior. Wake up fellow RVers.

Wow... I’ll leave it at that.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post

Please tell us how you REALLY feel!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #15

Rust

270S , are you having a bad day. Goodness gracious. Surprised your not hitchhiking and sleeping in a pup tent. By and large I must say that my 378 is a good rig, has been and continues to be. I really have no gripes toward Forest River, I got what I payed for and they have stood behind it well. Even providing warranty service years after the period expired. Perhaps some folks should stay away for RVing until they have had their first cup of coffee.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
270S , are you having a bad day. Goodness gracious. Surprised your not hitchhiking and sleeping in a pup tent. By and large I must say that my 378 is a good rig, has been and continues to be. I really have no gripes toward Forest River, I got what I payed for and they have stood behind it well. Even providing warranty service years after the period expired. Perhaps some folks should stay away for RVing until they have had their first cup of coffee.
No, been real bad year! Would you like to do the warranty repairs for free? Apparently FR wants me to. I'm just putting my word out so others like me won't be misled. Glad for you, you are the exception!
Old 04-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #17
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

This is what the bottom of my 5th-wheeler looked like less than three months AFTER it's build date.

I'm told that this was caused by it being delivered from Indiana to Colorado in the winter...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerFreshDrain-P1000181.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	803.3 KB
ID:	168314  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #18

I'd don't have a MH, but I'm seeing the exact same problem on my Cherokee TT. It's a 2018 that I got last year in May and in October, when I was prepping it for winter, I practically painted the entire frame with rustoleum trying to cover all the rust spots. The paint quality on the frame is sub-par at best. When I sold my 2007 Jayco last year, the only spot I touched up was the hitch area that had faded and had some scratches.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #19

Well I don't think they can stack up Ford MH chassis for years. They have a vehicle ID number and year built associated to them. The RV manufacturer has like a year, year and a half to build and badge the motor home. My Georgetown is listed as a 2011. Chassis is a 2010. I don't think Ford should be absolved of all responsibility of rust problems, nor should the individual RV owners that store/park their rigs on the back lawn etc. where moisture is rampant. Perhaps things will sharpen up regarding Ford when Freightliner gets going on their proprietary V8 gas engine and gas chassis slated to be available to RV manufacturers later this year, probably for the2019 model year. About time Ford has some competition again with gas powered drive able RV's.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote