Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #1

RV After Harvey and Irma

Living in Willis, TX which is 60 miles North of Houston right on the Lake Conroe, we survived through Harvey after its 4 days continuous rain falls. Luckily, no flood in my subdivision, and no damage to the RV. I hope that everyone and their RV who lived in the Houston and the surrounding, as well as the whole big state of Florida, survived the storm of the century.

It is now proved that I do not have any leak on the RV. With the 4 days of continuous rain falls, the RV stand dry.

Before I left my Willis home where the RV parked (that was before the storm) to go to my second home in the Southwest Houston, I opened both of the vents in the kitchen and the bathroom to suck out as much hot air from the coach as possible since we live in one of the hottest parts of the country and the temperature often went as high as 105F to 110F.

When the storm came, most of the streets of Houston including in the Southwest part of Houston was flooded. Could not come to Willis to inspect the RV until after the storm, and found no water entered the RV through the two opened vent. Evidently, the blowing power of the fan counter blow the rain drops and 2 weeks later, the RV still shows dry. I did put the dehumidifier to ensure that there was no wetness and the dehumidifier barely collect any water at 35% humidity level.

Thank GOD for the well built Georgetown.

Please share your experiences including what did you do to prepare for the storm if you are living in the area of the past 2 storms.

I hope and wish that all of the RVers in those two areas are doing well.

If you are one of the victims, please share your experience regarding your insurance claim as well as any related experiences that you may have, and may GOD bless you.

Sincerely.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
JBP

Glade that you were lucky.
We are in Pharr Texas and we need rain.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #3

Hello all, I live in Orlando and just had a chance to check out our GT5 after Irma went thru. No visible water on the inside but unfortunately for me, the generator door of the older unit stored next to mine blew off and put two small gashes on my coach. What a bummer! I'll have them touched up when I put it in for warranty work after the Florida FROG Rally later this month. It could have been a lot worse since the eye passed about 25 miles to our west.
kyinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #4

Tam,
I am glad you did not suffer. Keep your eyes open for the unforeseen.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

We live just south of Sulphur, La. which is 20 miles east of the Texas/Louisiana border on I-10. We lucked out, all the flooding was either 20 miles west or 20 miles east of us. We had rain, but nothing like some did. Our 5th wheel was parked under its cover in our side yard which is on a small rise. I was more worried about water getting into our house than the camper.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

We're on the northeast side of Orlando, too, in Winter Park. Our Legacy sat through the storm in the driveway with no leaks, plugged up and the AC running until we lost power at midnight Sunday. Not sure how close, but I know we weren't far at all from the eye wall and sitting on the northeast side of the storm with the highest winds. I believe we had 59 tornado warnings Sunday night and it appears a couple of small touchdowns in areas around us. No huge damage, just a different kind of damage than you would expect from straight line winds. We moved into the coach Monday morning after the wind died a bit and ran the generator up until our power returned just about two hours ago (a little after noon on Friday). Total comfort! Ran a cord from the outside outlet on the coach and plugged in our fridge and freezer in the house so we didn't loose anything there either. Checking fuel consumption, it looks like the generator (a 6.0 KW diesel) was only using about 8 or 9 gallons of fuel per day - that's fantastic in my book! So glad to be back in the house, though.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #7

Friend of mine was fulltiming at Goose Island in Rockport. They were able to get out as the rain was beginning. Very minor damage to any of the property they had to leave. Several of their neighbors lost everything.

They went back a few days later and were actually able to find a campground to the west that actually had two spots available. They jumped one of those and are now helping clean up.

They were very fortunate. Others sadly not. Rockport was hit hard.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:51 AM   #8

I am a helicopter pilot normally working in the Gulf of Mexico supporting the oil industry. For a week after Harvey finally left I was flying in and around Beaumont, Tx.

Parts of Beaumont reminded me of New Orleans after Katrina, with water up to the eaves of the roof, entire subdivisions submerged. Their recovery will take much longer than in FL.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #9

"Thank GOD for the well built Georgetown." I think Forest River was more directly involved - seriously doubt that there are imaginary supernatural beings involved in the construction of recreational vehicles. Except gremlins, of course.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #10

South FL and Irma

We live in South Miami, FL. We had a scheduled trip to Cancun during Irma. Our flight out was cancelled and left a day earlier and then couldn't fly back out until three days later. We shuttered up before we left. My husband hitched our FWheel and parked it into the projected wind direction and hoped for the best. Thank goodness, the hurricane took a different path and we were spared the direct hit. We lost the fridge outdoor plastic cover and a little corner of the roof material came up. Something might have hit it. The decorative strip that hides the screw track up top came loose. No water damage, thank God.

We kept texting our neighbors across the canal to keep telling us if they could still see the FW. We didn't have a great time worrying about home and FW. We have generators but the power went out and lost everything in our home's fridge and my husband's "man-fridge" in the garage. Our daughter came over and wrapped a scarf around her face and cleaned out the fudges and throw that nasty stuff out.

At one point before we left we considered taking the trailer to Arcadia, east of Ft. Myers. We are so glad we didn't, because it would sure have been damaged there. All in all, after seeing images from TX, LA, the Florida Keys and now Puerto Rico, we were blessed!

Meg, Manny and Mambo
2014 F350
Spartan Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler
Two Harley Davidsons
Old 10-09-2017, 04:30 AM   #11

A good friend of mine that I work with lives in Naples FL. He is right near the water with a canal and strip of land between his house and the Gulf.

He lost the screen covering over his pool and some fencing. I think he was VERY lucky!

Im glad for yawl too!

We just dodged a bullet with this last one, it went to Biloxi & Mobile
Old 10-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #12
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneb236 View Post
Friend of mine was fulltiming at Goose Island in Rockport. They were able to get out as the rain was beginning. Very minor damage to any of the property they had to leave. Several of their neighbors lost everything.

They went back a few days later and were actually able to find a campground to the west that actually had two spots available. They jumped one of those and are now helping clean up.

They were very fortunate. Others sadly not. Rockport was hit hard.
I have a cousin that lives in Rockport - they were without electricity for over a month and still going through reconstruction of their home.

We normally go to Port Aransas twice a year, but not this fall. Besides all the damage I've had surgery last week which forced us to cancel the trip down there. Hopefully next year we'll get back into our routine and get back to the coast.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote