Old 05-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #1

RV Electric Steps Specs

I have to admit that I get an uneasy feeling every I use the steps on our coach.

Supposedly the Kwikees we have are the better ones. However, they seem so flimsy.

DW only weighs a buck and a quarter so no issues there. However, I'm 210 lbs and wonder what is the maximum weight the steps are designed to hold.

I think I'm going to install one of those Camco self store step savers.

Camco RV Self STOR Step Support Stabilizes Secure Safety Mounts Camping Travel | eBay

Old 05-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Don't have electric steps, but I did replace all the pivot rivets with gr 8 bolts and nyloc nuts when it was new. Can't believe any step mfg using rivets for pivots, but strange things happen.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

That's a good idea Oldcoot. I think I may just do that. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #4

I think the Kwikee steps are rated to support 750#.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I think the Kwikee steps are rated to support 750#.
Wow, that's a lot. Thanks for the data. I guess there is no reason for a step support, except maybe help with the sway as you climb up or down.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #6

I just put wood under the bottom step when camped. I trust that lippert step as far as I can through it.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
Commercial Member

This is not about load spec but the electric operation.
Have Freedom Express w/electric step. Magnet switch on screen door works but most of time when camping I set control switch to NOT RETRACT to save battery and wear & tear on steps and motor.
Almost all the time I remember to turn on "RETRACT" when getting ready to head out but other day I missed it. Sooo I wanted to add a feature to ensure the steps retract when I start the coach. Been studying the wire diagram from Coachmen #1099537 and I find a 12v connection from the IGN switch to the step control box but can't figure out what that part of circuit does. There is supposed to be a 5A fuse on this line but can't find the fuse or even the special wire.

Anyone know what the connection to the IGN is supposed to do? or where I can find the fuse? Maybe there is suppose to be a retract if/when the IGN is turned on but this never happened since new as far as I know.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Have Freedom Express w/electric step. Magnet switch on screen door works but most of time when camping I set control switch to NOT RETRACT to save battery and wear & tear on steps and motor.
Almost all the time I remember to turn on "RETRACT" when getting ready to head out but other day I missed it. Sooo I wanted to add a feature to ensure the steps retract when I start the coach. Been studying the wire diagram from Coachmen #1099537 and I find a 12v connection from the IGN switch to the step control box but can't figure out what that part of circuit does. There is supposed to be a 5A fuse on this line but can't find the fuse or even the special wire.

Anyone know what the connection to the IGN is supposed to do? or where I can find the fuse? Maybe there is suppose to be a retract if/when the IGN is turned on but this never happened since new as far as I know.
I leave ours our on all of the time because once you start the engine they automatically retract. I would have thought they were all like that. Maybe you have a disconnected wire or something.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

I have not owned a lot of motorhomes but of the ones I have owned they all had the ignition step interlock incorporated. This provision will retract the steps anytime the ignition switch is not in the off position (advanced toward start). The steps will retract irregardless of where the step switch is set (retract/not retract). I am not familiar with your coach but I think this provision should be/or should have been wired.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Thanks for responses. The wire diagram indicates there is a "14 BRN" which I interpret as 14 Ga Brown wire from the IGN switch to the "emergency start solenoid" EMS This would run through a 5A fuse to the "IGS" connection of the step controller. The IGN wire is not color coded on the drawing, nor is the "IGS" wire color coded that is suppose to go to the step controller.

Looks like Coachmen didn't bother to follow their own wire diagram as there is no brown wire to the actuator post on the solenoid, but there are a yellow and a yellow black pair of wires that of course are not on the Coachmen drawing.

"EMS" Solenoid is on the left

Guess I will have to do their work for them and fix their screw-up. Just another example of poor workmanship. Can I start calling this "Elkhart junk" ?

Note; the Brown wire is one of the few wires color coded. This wire diagram is one of the worst I have ever seen with many wires not color coded and few with notation on the wire Ga. maybe Coachmen needs to get someone with at least a little knowledge of wire schematics to make the wire diagrams rather than a high school drop-out. No wonder they will not stand behind their profuct longer than a few months.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric