Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #1

RV in storage, can i leave coach heat on?

I'm using my coach over the holiday, but it's bitterly cold here now and colder tonight. My unit is in storage and I want to leave the coach heater on, can I do this ?? It will be burning propane... Or is NOT an good idea??
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #2

You could do it but your furnace will draw your battery's down pretty quick
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

Even if unit is plugged into. 110v? Or should I use the heat strips ?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #4

The heater on propane is a gas hawg, I learned it the hard way. Get an oil filled heater from wally world for 40 bucks and it works like a charm.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #5

If its plugged in or generator running you should be fine
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Love My Sunseeker

I second the oil filled heater. If you are plugged into a 20 amp, (and not using ANY OTHER APPLIANCES ON ELECTRIC) use a 1500 watt for main part of RV (pulls 12.5 amps) and use a small 400-500 watt oil filled (3-4 amps) in the bathroom. The small one in the bathroom will keep the bathroom toasty. Put the frig on propane if you have to.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #7

I was just concerned about using the heater/propane etc with coach inside storage facility. Just wanted to keep it somewhat mild temp wise until tomorrow afternoon!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze580 View Post
If its plugged in or generator running you should be fine
Where will the heat come from if it's plugged in or generator running?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
I was just concerned about using the heater/propane etc with coach inside storage facility. Just wanted to keep it somewhat mild temp wise until tomorrow afternoon!
I don't see a problem with running the heater inside the storage facility especially for a couple of days. The problem with running the heater is that it will go through your propane bottle really fast. I went through my 24.5 gallon tank in a little over a week. I set it to 50 for about 4 days, and since my wife is cold blooded and wanted to organize the inside, I turned it up to 65 and a couple days later it was empty. I went and got an oil filled and cranked it to max overnight with temps below freezing and the next morning it was nice and toasty inside the coach. I then dialed it back and it kept it warm. I'm going to store if that way for the winter.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
Old Enough to Know Better

Lets do the math, 1 gal of Lp is 91,500 btus, Your furnace is usually 30,000btu per hr full flame so if your furnace BURNS for 3 hours you will use approx 1 gallon of gas. A full 20# cylinder holds 4 gallons, 30# 7 gallons and a 40# 9.25 gallons. Keep in mind if you keep the tstat low it will not burn as much. If you store it inside a building it exhausts co the owner may or may not appreciate you doing that.
Regards
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
I second the oil filled heater. If you are plugged into a 20 amp, (and not using ANY OTHER APPLIANCES ON ELECTRIC) use a 1500 watt for main part of RV (pulls 12.5 amps) and use a small 400-500 watt oil filled (3-4 amps) in the bathroom. The small one in the bathroom will keep the bathroom toasty. Put the frig on propane if you have to.
I agree with the lady. If you are plugged in just use electric heaters. Even though one 1500 watt and one smaller one are all you can use with 20 amps service, that will be enough to keep it reasonably warm.

The original poster did not mention whether or not the RV is winterized. Electric space heaters won't keep the tanks and plumbing under the floor warm but the LP furnace will. If there's a risk of your storage unit going well below freezing you need to consider that.

If you have a slide, keep it retracted. It seals better when retracted.

Of course, when you return to the RV, if there's no problem with CO in the storage unit for a short time, start the LP furnace to warm the coach quickly.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #12

I second the Oil Heater! We used these babies to heat our house when we lived in germany and boy or boy do they work!

Liked them so much we picked a couple up to use in our home when we moved back to the USA!

My thought: I would not skimp on a Wally World one. They tend to have overly hot fins - we like the "European" versions that heat but are not overly hot to the touch. We got our at Amazon:
Amazon.com - DeLonghi EW7707CB Safeheat 1500W ComforTemp Portable Oil-Filled Radiator - Black

We like it because it is 1500W, has a automagic turn on point of 44 Deg to thwart freezing temps and a auto shutoff if it gets too hot.

We have one in our 5er right now because of a nasty cold snap here in Alabama (we also have our tank heaters on as well

Hope this Helps!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #13

This is what I used to use in my 5th wheel to keep the interior warm.
Set the thermostat for around 45 degrees and let it go.
$25 at Walmart
Lasko Heater, Ceramic, Silver/Black - Walmart.com
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #14

The RV isn't winterized yet.... That was one if my concerns about wanting to run heat, it got down to 19' that night.... It's been in storage and I was getting it out the next day to hit the road for holiday travel. All I wanted to know was if it would hurt to run propane heater while it was inside storage facility overnight. Its lookin like it wasn't a big deal at all. Not something I wanna do all winter... It will be winterized shortly.