Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #1

RV propane outlet to new Coleman Grill

Hello everybody, I own a brand new Georgetown XL 377 2016. Just bought a Coleman Grill lxe with the hose to connect it directly to the RV. Is there a valve to open on the propane beside the one on the tank or anything I don't know because I'm not getting any propane to the grill??
Martin Dupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #2

two possibilities but I am making an assumption. let's do the simplest first. when you say connect it directly to the rv, I am assuming you are hooking to a quick disconnect type connection and not to the propane tank itself. if so, the quick disconnects usually have a shutoff valve. it is a little lever handle that turns a quarter turn. make sure it is turned so the handle is parallel to the quick disconnect. if it is at a right angle then it is closed and will not let propane flow through the quick disconnect fitting.

you did not say anything about removing the regulator from the coleman grill. the propane that would come out of the quick disconnect has already been through the regulator in the rv and it is now low pressure propane. if it tries to go through the regulator that came with the grill it will be reduced in pressure again and it will not have enough pressure to fire the grill. how are you connection the hose to the grill? are you using a hose that has a fitting similar to the top of one of those disposable green propane bottles? that will connect to the regulator that came with the grill and it will not work. you have to remove the barbeque regulator and feed the low pressure propane directly to the grill. there are videos of how to do this and there are kits, but you've already got the hose etc. worse case is you might need a fitting found at any hardware store. but find a video or two and watch it first.

again I am making assumptions as I do not know exactly how you are making the connections both at the rv and at the grill.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #3

I just realized you said Georgetown. I think those have permanently mounted propane tanks and I have read post saying they have a propane shutoff valve. I don't know how those work as we have a 5th wheel with the portable tanks. there may be something you have to do to get that propane shutoff valve open.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
I just realized you said Georgetown. I think those have permanently mounted propane tanks and I have read post saying they have a propane shutoff valve. I don't know how those work as we have a 5th wheel with the portable tanks. there may be something you have to do to get that propane shutoff valve open.
Thank you for the quick reply. I connected the hose to the RV propane outlet. There's a small valve on the fitting but I don't know which side is off or on but regardless l tried both ways and couldn't get propane....and yes I'm connected to the grill regulator and I think that it is the problem. I will look into that. Thank you
Old 08-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #5

I have the same grill and removed the regulator from it so I could use the the quick connect on my RV propane. I recall that I found the "how to" video on YouTube, but it is really quite simple and with a few parts from the store and a few minutes work I was back to grilling.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
I have the same grill and removed the regulator from it so I could use the the quick connect on my RV propane. I recall that I found the "how to" video on YouTube, but it is really quite simple and with a few parts from the store and a few minutes work I was back to grilling.
Ok thank you. I will check it out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dupuis View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. I connected the hose to the RV propane outlet. There's a small valve on the fitting but I don't know which side is off or on but regardless l tried both ways and couldn't get propane....and yes I'm connected to the grill regulator and I think that it is the problem. I will look into that. Thank you
Old 08-14-2017, 05:12 AM   #7

We removed the regulator because our new rig has one built in. We connected the hose directly with a quick connect on the other end.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:54 AM   #8

That's what I will do. Thank you
Old 08-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dupuis View Post
You can't have two regulators in-line. The one on the grill (used for the 1 lb cylinders), must be removed. Here is a pic that should give you an idea of what has to be done to operate the Coleman from the QD gas feed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grille lp QD.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	148192  
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #10

Thank you very much. Tonight it will be fixed. Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated. Best regards Martin Dupuis
Old 08-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
You can't have two regulators in-line. The one on the grill (used for the 1 lb cylinders), must be removed. Here is a pic that should give you an idea of what has to be done to operate the Coleman from the QD gas feed.
You have everything wonderfully labeled except the first piece - What item is that? Hose?
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #12

I have a Coleman Road master grill. Had the same problem. You can buy a regulator delete and hose on Amazon or Ebay. Be sure it is specific to your grill. Can't run the propane through 2 regulators

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #13
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
You have everything wonderfully labeled except the first piece - What item is that? Hose?
The unlabeled piece is the grill connection that is attached to the regulator that comes with Coleman grill. It must be removed from the regulator tube. it is fastened to the tube with epoxy. A vise and pair of vise grips, or two pair of vise grips will be needed to remove it from the tube. Do not use heat as you will damage the O-rings inside the connector. Also there is a back-flow prevention valve assembly ahead of the tube. Ensure this assembly is included when the brass fitting is attached. Use yellow gas tape when reassembling.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #14

A popular YouTube video shows removal of the Schrader-type safety valve in the screw-on regulator. DON'T. If you do, it's possible for propane to flow unregulated if not connected properly to the grill. That creates a potentially dangerous situation and is not necessary, anyway.

I bought an extra regulator assembly from Coleman, removed and discarded the regulator, then attached a male quick-connect using a fine-thread adapter. It works perfectly. I kept the original regulator assembly to use as designed with a 1-pound bottle.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #15

Do you know of any retailers that sells the assembly without the regulator ?
Not sure if i feel comfortable assembling all the parts.
shastabutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastabutler View Post

I had the same uncomfortable-ness with my WeberQ. Look up the Torjik Converta-C. It's a ready made kit for converting the grill; comes with everything including pipe sealant and leak check fluid. I did it with my Weber Q and propane scares the heck out of me.

I think that it's not a whole lot more expensive than buying the parts individually.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastabutler View Post
It's actually very simple. Unscrew one piece (the regulator), screw on a fine-thread adapter, screw on the quick-connect. Except for the new regulator assembly from Coleman, all parts can be purchased at a big-box home store with help from the sales staff.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane