Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #1

RV Tank Size / Fuel Amount(s)

As I have discovered there is so much erroneous information out there (names & companies withheld to protect the guilty) and personally being an OEM, I check everything. I've been told the tank is 80 gallons. Well, after reading the posts on another thread http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1588291 I decided to finally - don't trust, verify. I measured the tank as close as possible. 14" tall x 26 3/4" wide x 64" long - Ignoring metal thickness (less than 1/8" - decreases capacity) and rounded end caps (decreases capacity) and filler tube (increases capacity), they should be an approximate wash of each other. The dimension yields 23,968 cubic inches yielding 103.75 gallons.

So the number of 80 gallons probably a useable capacity amount, but I would not take anything as exact, ..... I know that when the pump turns off and if extraordinary measures are taken, I can fill another 15-15.75 gallons before it reaches the nozzle end. That would yield 103.75 - 15.75 = 88 gallons at fill up (without topping off), then allowing for 8 gallons (slightly over 1" deep - 1.079") in the bottom of the tank not available for tube pick up (prevents sludge pick up), 80 gallons is probably close to the useable amount I hear thrown around.

FYI, 1 gallon = 231 cubic inches.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #2

I have a 80 gallon tank.
Depending upon how level your rig is while fueling and how much air you allow to release will determine how much fuel you really have.

Ford gauge when showing Empty will still have 3-5 gallons of fuel left.
This is typical just in case you have no ide your 80 gallon tank is empty.
It will also have a warning light for people who drive and not know.

So what is your point you want to bring up. I have an 80 gallon take plus or minus 1 or 2 gallons. No big issues for me.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
As I have discovered there is so much erroneous information out there (names & companies withheld to protect the guilty) and personally being an OEM, I check everything. I've been told the tank is 80 gallons. Well, after reading the posts on another thread http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1588291 I decided to finally - don't trust, verify. I measured the tank as close as possible. 14" tall x 26 3/4" wide x 64" long - Ignoring metal thickness (less than 1/8" - decreases capacity) and rounded end caps (decreases capacity) and filler tube (increases capacity), they should be an approximate wash of each other. The dimension yields 23,968 cubic inches yielding 103.75 gallons.

So the number of 80 gallons probably a useable capacity amount, but I would not take anything as exact, ..... I know that when the pump turns off and if extraordinary measures are taken, I can fill another 15-15.75 gallons before it reaches the nozzle end. That would yield 103.75 - 15.75 = 88 gallons at fill up (without topping off), then allowing for 8 gallons (slightly over 1" deep - 1.079") in the bottom of the tank not available for tube pick up (prevents sludge pick up), 80 gallons is probably close to the useable amount I hear thrown around.

FYI, 1 gallon = 231 cubic inches.

Good info but way the heck off for us. We have a 378XL, our literature said 80 gallon, which I did not trust. The Ford tag on the tank said 75 gallon. Have driven that unit for many many files and fills. Never ran out, well actually did at the pumps in Katy Texas. Total fill, 75 gallon. Maybe they have changed tanks, don't know, but the on board computer and miles to empty is very accurate on our unit and we have never gotten close to what your saying. that's our story, don't know about yours.
Safe Travels.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #4

Just watch running the tank too low or you will be changing out a bad fuel pump when the tank is full.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Just watch running the tank too low or you will be changing out a bad fuel pump when the tank is full.
Did you mean low or actually full? Low I understand due to water/garbage in tank due to not keeping it mostly full.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #6

I mean low because the fuel is a lube and coolant for the fuel injection pump. For some reason they don't like pumping air. Two used vehicles I had to,change pumps on and no I never ran the tanks that low. Usually fill between an eighth and quarter. The part about being full, that seams to be when the pump goes, when you have a full tank.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #7

A fuel pump failing when full is probably a coincidence. Being full should do no harm, just the opposite. However, overfilling can be a problem with over pressurization if the tank is left to sit and then warm up. Whenever I "top it off" (my car too), I immediately travel and start using fuel to prevent that problem from happening.

Airplane tanks have vents to let expanding fuel escape as the tank heats up as it sits on an airport.

It is also another reason for the overflow vent on the water tank.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #8

That pressure you talk about overflowing by topping off generally puts raw fuel in the recovery system which is not good. The pump going with a full tank is usually what happens, nothing to do with it being full. I have replaced two pumps my self and yes both tanks were full.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #9

Oh no, now I have fuel pump to worry about
Narkomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #10

That's just not your RV. Any fuel injected vehicle.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er

Take a look at this. Not faulting anyone for wondering about this (I'm curious, too), but it reminds me of a story I once heard. I believe it was Thomas Edison looking to hire a new lab technician. The young man came to interview and Edison gave him a light bulb (glass portion only) and asked him to calculate the volume. He returned a week later with a large stack of calculations, presented the package to Edison and announced the volume he had calculated. Edison calmly walked to the sink, filled a graduated cylinder with water, poured it into the bulb and said......"Close...".Understanding Fuel Tank Capacity

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
So the number of 80 gallons probably a useable capacity amount,
According to the 2017 Ford F53 manual, fuel capacity is 80 gallons.. (Page 129)

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_03_2016.pdf

Old 08-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #13

To sumerise, all fuel tanks need room foheat expansion of the, due to ambient or engine operation. Both gas and diesel cirulate the fuel during operation causing heat expansion (carburetorated engines excepted). Gas engines will have 10 to 20% more expansion area to all for fuel vapor sttorage (evaporative emission system) this area will help keep the vapor canister from being flooded with fuel vapors. If the vapor canister becomes flooded it will be perminately damaged and have to be replaced. A flooded will also fail an emission test ( SMOG Test) when the vehicle is sold. They are several hundred dollars to replace. Bottom line, when the fuel nozzle stops , ,quit fueling. Gasoilne vehicles should only be filled to 80 to 85% of PHYSICAL capacity, not advertised capacity. Hope this helps.
larry pw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, mount, tank