Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #1

RV Vent Lid

I have a Georgetown and the Vent Lid that is located outside the restroom broke. I'm trying to replace it. I wen to Camping World and bought a Camco lid that says it fits the Ventline and New Elixir (whatever that means...I think it refers to the hinge type. I think this is the right type but not exactly sure. In the cabin, you are supposed to remove the crank handle (I did), next you are supposed to Remove the trim (4 screws) and screen (2 screws). I can not where these 6 screws are to access. I can not see them from the cabin.

Has anyone done this before? Geez, it should be straight forward but I'm having trouble.

Thanks,

Georgetown50
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #2

Hummm. I thought you remove the vent cover from the roof and not from inside. Not sure which vent you have or replacement cover.
Mike will probably step in and help.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The four trim screws should be one in each corner, screwed straight up in to the ceiling. After you remove them, then you will see the two screws, one on each end, holding the screen in place. They are also screwed straight up, which means the screw head is pointing toward the floor. With the trim and screen removed, then remove the gear assembly, as this will allow you to disengage the arm that opens the vent cover. Sorry forgot to mention to open the cover before you start. If you forget, just put the handle back on and crank it up. Now go to the roof and replace the cover. Some have tabs to bend, some have other, usually simple means of securing them. Good luck, and don't attempt this in the rain.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #4

Thanks

Thanks guys. I was able to make this work with no problem. It's a strange operation for the vent lid....part inside part outside job.
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Good luck, and don't attempt this in the rain.
Sound advise right there.

Pics while you are doing it to document the swap out would be GREAT!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Cunning Linguist

Yep .... dang confusing.

The "style" actually refers to "when" it was made, which affects the hinge type (most vent lids in the last 8 years seem to be the newer type that require manipulating the hinge ends with a pair of needle-nosed pliars.

The installation instructions would be a lot more helpful if they said "hey dummy, go inside your trailer for this part" when you get to the screw removal & then "hey dummy, go back outside" for the rest of this.

Another helpful hint on the instructions would be ...

"Yes, we know it almost looks like you could do this much easier another way.... but don't bother, we spent a lot of money to engineer this thing so that you will fail by 1/8" of clearance, after an hour of effort, if you try "

Biggest hint I can offer ...... if your removing caulk, your doing it wrong.
Acara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
bmg

Messing with the vent motivated me to start this thread last month:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-5-a-7415.html

Be sure and read NWJeeper's glossary for tools. It'll get you through any job!!
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote