Old 11-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Steelhorzz

RVing in the winter... Tips ??

This will be our first year in traveling in the winter.

First off we are located in Southern California, so winter is a relative term to us.

We new to the RV scene, (recently retired), and have had our Georgetown 360 for 8 months now. This summer we have traveled through some of the hottest, and rainiest weather all the way from L.A. to Gettysburg and back.

And rather than stay at home this winter we plan to tour the southwest to avoid the summer's triple digit heat.

Our current trip plans will take us to southern Arizona and New Mexico in Jan. and Feb.

I do plan to avoid the northern areas of these states and snow covered roads if possible.

Looking at historical weather charts, I see that some of the areas we will be traveling in during this time frame may get down in the low 20s at night.

Are there any specific precautions I need to take to prevent pipes freezing during the evening hours?

My intent is to travel and have a good time, but be smart about it, and don't put our Rig, or ourselves at risk.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and assistance!

Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #2

The only thing I do is disconnect the city water hose and store it in the basement. That will freeze up. We use the holding tank and the 12 volt pump. Sometimes you have to wait in the morning til the CG water pipe thaws out again. So make sure you keep your FW full. We use the fire place heater and also a 1500 watt plug in to keep the inside warm. I trick to do is leave your CG water spigot dripping that some times will stop your water supply pipe from freezing. My camp ground host told me to do that. I do not pull my trailer in snow so watch your weather where you want to travel. If your basement has a heat vent, You can turn on the furnace now and then to keep the chill off and protect your pipes. I'm sure your MH is insulated better then my 5er. I have not had a problem doing it that way yet. If the temp stays at 20 degrees for highs during the day all bets are off. Most campers are called 3 season campers. You should be fine and be smart like you said. Also make sure all batteries are full each night.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #3

We are headed to Florida here in a couple of weeks and hope not to see snow on the roads. Not because it isn't safe, but because of the salty slush that will get in every nook under your coach. Your coach will have cancer before you know it. I don't even drive my pretty 4x4 in that stuff...don't even know why I got 4x4. LOL. I use my old Jeep once they start salting the roads.

Our coach is currently winterized and I will be de-winterizing the day before we leave. If the temps are below, I'll turn the artic pak and heater. Some of the critical compartments have heater vents so everything should be okay. You have to remember that the cold air wile cruising will drop the temp a little bit.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Denver, CO

Run your furnace liberally and it will keep ALL of your RV from freezing in the 20's. You can buy a heated hose (or make it youself) if that is a concern.

http://www.pirithose.com.

Space heaters are nice, but do not distribute the heat throughout the rig like the furnace does at these colder temperatures.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #5

When you unhook your fresh water hose for the night, be sure to DRAIN it. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until it thaws the next day. I learned that the hard way.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #6

Just a thought, on the water supply at a CG, when traveling in cold weather.

If you know that it might drop below freezing that night, could you wrap something around the waterpipe and spigot? I mean, a piece of insulation, [like what you have in your attic at home] and maybe put a trash bag over that, to keep the insulation dry. Then in the morning, you could reattach your stowed waterhose to an un-frozen water supply.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Run your furnace liberally and it will keep ALL of your RV from freezing in the 20's. You can buy a heated hose (or make it youself) if that is a concern.

PIRIT Heated Hose : The Only Cold Weather Heated Hose.

Space heaters are nice, but do not distribute the heat throughout the rig like the furnace does at these colder temperatures.
That's a pretty nice hose, but the only problem I see is the riser supply at the CG that's 4' high 3/4" pipe and faucet. That's going to freeze first. I'll save the 90.00 bucks and just disconnect my water hose. The last cold cold weather I camped in I was next to a guy from Alaska and used to the cold, he had the heater hose which did not freeze, the riser did. He still had to wait the same as me for it to thaw out.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 11-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent's Fox Hole View Post
Just a thought, on the water supply at a CG, when traveling in cold weather.

If you know that it might drop below freezing that night, could you wrap something around the waterpipe and spigot? I mean, a piece of insulation, [like what you have in your attic at home] and maybe put a trash bag over that, to keep the insulation dry. Then in the morning, you could reattach your stowed waterhose to an un-frozen water supply.
You are right that would help if the whole park water system did not freeze. Some of the CG I have been to have some pretty bad designed water system. The CG that are used to low temps have pretty well taken that in there design. It's the freak system that comes through now and then is where I found the problem when the CG weren't designed for the cold temps. Like this artic blast coming down now. I'm not a cold weather camper myself, I was just caught in one last year trying to get home. I was at Ft. Bragg NC stuck for 2 days because of ice on the roads. Not normal weather for that area or Virginia where I live. It was so bad in Virginia that I had a call from a friend and said wait it out freezing rain the worst. Not Fun at all. But the weather changed in 2 days and all worked out, and got home.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 11-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That's a pretty nice hose, but the only problem I see is the riser supply at the CG that's 4' high 3/4" pipe and faucet. That's going to freeze first. I'll save the 90.00 bucks and just disconnect my water hose. The last cold cold weather I camped in I was next to a guy from Alaska and used to the cold, he had the heater hose which did not freeze, the riser did. He still had to wait the same as me for it to thaw out.
Yep what you say is true. Here in Denver, all of the CG's that stay open, have winterized spigots and so the heated hoses do the rest. Lots of variation out there in the park facilities and lots of solutions.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

Yep what you say is true. Here in Denver, all of the CG's that stay open, have winterized spigots and so the heated hoses do the rest. Lots of variation out there in the park facilities and lots of solutions.
Well, you could always put heat tape strip on the CG water riser and then take it with you for the next CG when you leave.

1n

Tags
winter