Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Which probably explains why walmart can sell an oil filter for $2.99, when a good Wix filter is $10.00 +/- That's not a savings that I'm interested in. Someone mentioned Baldwin filters. We used Baldwin filters on large industrial engines years ago. They are not cadillac filters,....they are Rols Royce of filters.

I would put Wix nose to nose with Baldwin any day. FWIW
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #42

Fram made a decent product once upon a time. Then, February 1, 1983 Allied bought Bendix, the owners of Fram Company.

Fram has been bottom wrung junk ever since.

Have a look here: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html click specifically on the link to a letter in the Fram writeup.

I do not use Fram, on anything. Air, oil or otherwise. Not since the early/mid eighties.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #43
Retired Ford Tech

Smile Sad Day

I posted this yesterday, but I guess I didn't use the magic word! A Ford Parts GURU buddy I used to work with says that Purolator makes Motorcraft filters for Ford.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I would put Wix nose to nose with Baldwin any day. FWIW
Thats okay by me. They are both top notch filters, and either one is infinitely better than a fram. And before my next comment, let me say that I use Wix filters on several of my engines. However, in my 40 years of industrial engine/turbine experience, the Baldwin is a better filter. They are built like a tank compared to most filters. But thats just me. We all form our own opinions based on individual experiences, and I respect yours.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Thats okay by me. They are both top notch filters, and either one is infinitely better than a fram. And before my next comment, let me say that I use Wix filters on several of my engines. However, in my 40 years of industrial engine/turbine experience, the Baldwin is a better filter. They are built like a tank compared to most filters. But thats just me. We all form our own opinions based on individual experiences, and I respect yours.

As I yours. I sold against Baldwin for many years. The local distributor did very well in sales(he actually tried) and was happy with very low profit margins therefore HE was hard to compete with. Baldwin had good market saturation in the truck and industrial world and had a quality product to boot.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #46

I had a very large oil change facility (in the late 90's and early 2000's who bought oil filters(most popular) for just over $1. Yes I saw invoices. Wix at the time did not have a cheap filter line at the time(several years) and finally was able to half way compete. I finally got the business with service and later lost it because of lack of supply and varying prices(not as many on the cheap line) and my master warehouse refused to keep enough inventory...we lost it about as fast as we got it...plus they gave him even more off at the time.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I had a very large oil change facility (in the late 90's and early 2000's who bought oil filters(most popular) for just over $1. Yes I saw invoices. Wix at the time did not have a cheap filter line at the time(several years) and finally was able to half way compete. I finally got the business with service and later lost it because of lack of supply and varying prices(not as many on the cheap line) and my master warehouse refused to keep enough inventory...we lost it about as fast as we got it...plus they gave him even more off at the time.
Yep, I understand. It's a dog eat dog world isn't it?
Old 06-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I'll walk with you!
I will ride my bicycle while you guys walk. If you want one can get on the handle bars and the other on the back axle...we can get where we going faster.
2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbreaux View Post
I will ride my bicycle while you guys walk. If you want one can get on the handle bars and the other on the back axle...we can get where we going faster.

Dibs on the handle bars.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #50

So does anybody have a opinion on Fram wanting back to oil filter for testing and taking it out of my hands. My worries are if they mysteriously just happened to lose the filter I have nothing left.
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
So does anybody have a opinion on Fram wanting back to oil filter for testing and taking it out of my hands. My worries are if they mysteriously just happened to lose the filter I have nothing left.

What I would do is sign my name on it and date it.
Then take a bunch of pictures of it from every angle for my record.
Then send them the filter and a few pictures of the box, address label and the filter all side by side. Just for your record.

I'm sure they want to know what went wrong and to verify it is one of their filters.

I would also like to see a picture of the open end of the filter .
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #52

I personally don't think they are trying to rook you. Are you gonna be happy in the end? I dunno. I prolly wouldn't be with less than a new OEM crate engine, but I know 10% of what happens on a catastrophic failure. If is a turbo...make sure you get a new one of them.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
What I would do is sign my name on it and date it.
Then take a bunch of pictures of it from every angle for my record.
Then send them the filter and a few pictures of the box, address label and the filter all side by side. Just for your record.

I'm sure they want to know what went wrong and to verify it is one of their filters.

I would also like to see a picture of the open end of the filter .
Send it UPS or FedEx so that you have a tracking record.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #54

It is 14 to $15,000 is the estimate for the new replacement for the Ford V10.
Just don't want to make any mistakes if fram is going to be paying the bill
Old 06-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #55
Who Dares, Wins

Like said, photo it or even video it from all angles, get tracking with video of you putting it into a box to ship to fram. Ask why they want it because of your concerns to get it in email. DO you know a lawyer friend to ask them as we (or at least most of us) probably are not u on all the needs of a civil case (preponderance of Evidence).

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #56

Weigh the filter and take a picture doing it. Also I agree on signing and dating it. Tell them why you are doing it so they know.
For the record I have been a dealership mechanic for 14 years. I have seem multiple cheap brand filters do this. Fram was the biggest culprit. Never once did I see a factory filter fail even when abused and ran much longer than your interval.
AudiOnly101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:30 AM   #57

Depending on who actually manufactured the filter, Fram may have recourse to help pay for the damages. Most filter companies only manufacture a portion of the filters that they sell. Lower volume filters may be sourced elsewhere and just branded as their product. As others have already discussed, just have a VERY clear "chain of custody" - including the name of who the filter should be sent to.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Motorcraft for my Ford, If I drove a Chevy it would be Delco, that is of course a BIG IF.
Sorry to hear about the OP's problem, good luck with Fram, but I have to agree X'S 2 on B&B post except that end about Chevy. Never thought about owning one..DOCUMENT EVERYTHING....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #59

Well I sent of to fram the bad oil filter with tons of documentation and pictures of the bad filter. I hope fram stays true to their product.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #60

Well we have decided to sell the Georgetown and buy a diesel pusher. So anyone looking for a class A with a brand new engine with 0 miles on it?