Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #1

Sad day for me and fram

Short and sweet. Fresh oil change with a fram oil filter ( first time )
Approx 1400 miles later on vacation and knock knock knock.
In summary fram oil filter came apart and destroyed my engine.
Do not use fram on anything!!!!!
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #2

Hmm. Sold filters for 25 years never saw an oil filter come apart. Seen them collapse. Seen them burst. Etc. I suspect the wrong filter. Jmo
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #3

I hear you. But nope filter material in the oil pan, in the journals and stuck to the oil pick up tube screen.
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
Broken Toe

I agree. I will walk before I put a Fram filter on a vehicle anymore. Had 2 in my life come apart internally on me. Neither ruined the engine, but it was an utter PITA cleaning out the mess.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:51 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Motorcraft for my Ford, If I drove a Chevy it would be Delco, that is of course a BIG IF.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #6

I've never personally used Fram products because of all of the horror stories I've heard. I wonder if since you have solid proof that the filter was the culprit that you could contact Fram about compensation?
pbrown1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:16 PM   #7

You will have to start with the supplier....Walmart? I hope not. They will file a claim with the manufacturer. We sold Wix and later Napa(exact same) and did demonstrations on how crappy Fram was. Defective?? Not that I knew, but they are/were built shoddy. Funny....back then Ford had no OEM supplier...it was the cheapest builder. A/C wasn't quite as bad.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I agree. I will walk before I put a Fram filter on a vehicle anymore. Had 2 in my life come apart internally on me. Neither ruined the engine, but it was an utter PITA cleaning out the mess.

Tim

I'll walk with you!
Old 06-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #9

Interesting. My last truck went for 300,000 miles using Fram filters the large majority of the time. My wife's car is over 200,000 doing the same.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #10

Me too. Generally over 45 years of oil changes they've been fram's and not one issue.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #11

Several years back after changing oil filters, i would cut the metal cover off the filter and spread the paper pleats out just to see what the filter was catching. One of the things I noticed was a drastic difference in pleat count between Fram filters and Wix. There was also a huge difference in the quality of the paper material. As a result of that unscientific study, I decided to never buy another fram filter. The difference in quality was dramatic. The WIX filters cost about $8-$10, and the fram (from walmart) run $3-$7. So, over a 100,000 miles, I would save $60. I'm all about saving money, but that $60 is a false savings.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #12

Fram is cheap, and relies on the law of numbers. if you make 10,000,000 filters, and only cause the destruction of a few engines a year, you have a successful filter.

I've seen the damage first hand. I use purolater or wix.

And FWIW, Im ASE Master Certified.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 11 (so far)
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Motorcraft for my Ford, If I drove a Chevy it would be Delco, that is of course a BIG IF.
X2.
I used a Fram once in my F150- knocking on startup because it did not have a check valve.
Learned my lesson- also A/C Delco only for my new Chevy.

I did use Fram for some time and never had any major engine issue though.
But I have heard these stories before.

I use Toyota and Volkswagon filters now exclusively for my other vehicles.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Short and sweet. Fresh oil change with a fram oil filter ( first time )
Approx 1400 miles later on vacation and knock knock knock.
In summary fram oil filter came apart and destroyed my engine.
Do not use fram on anything!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the engine after the oil filter failure.
I can not imagine what your next step would be but would like more details as I have a few questions.

Are you the original owner or did you buy it used?

What year is it and how many miles on the rig?

You say (oil change ) first time. First time you have done it or first time ever?

So the filter paper/material broke apart and entered the engine and clogged up the oil flow and cause what type of problems with the engine?

Did you get any low oil pressure warning or high engine tempo warning before knock knock?

How long did you drive it with knock knock?

To late now but...
Whenever I change my oil I always fill up the oil filter prior to installing to soak the filter material so it isn't dry when finished filling.

Keep us posted on what is found.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #15

I ask the same question as above. Did you get a low oil pressure warning or low reading on the gauge?

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #16
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I ask the same question as above. Did you get a low oil pressure warning or low reading on the gauge?
Probably not. Usually, the oil pressure sensor is pretty close to the outlet of the pump. Clogging up the holes where the oil enters the big-end of the bearings will starve them for sure, but you will still show great PSI on the gauge.

On one of my issues, the truck showed normal Oil Pressure, but it clogged the header feeding oil to the lifters, which let all the lifter pump down. I got a huge series of misses and backfires and shut it down relatively quickly. The other time, the filter material got into the oil pan and clogged the pump intake screen. That time I did get a low PSI indication.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
You will have to start with the supplier....Walmart? I hope not. They will file a claim with the manufacturer. We sold Wix and later Napa(exact same) and did demonstrations on how crappy Fram was. Defective?? Not that I knew, but they are/were built shoddy. Funny....back then Ford had no OEM supplier...it was the cheapest builder. A/C wasn't quite as bad.
Yup, haven't purchased a Fram in probably 40 years. Always either Motorcraft for my Ford or a Wix, that makes good filters for other brand names.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #18

Agree with Davidg on reason I quit using Fram filters. Have changed my own oil for over 40 years and used fram for over 35 of those. Never had any issues but fram is cheaply made. With todays engines, tight tolerances, etc, need better filtering. I have been using Wix for upwards of 5 years now and will not change.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #19

You may want to check with your insurance company on this one. Insurance will at times cover some unusual items.

We once had a 17' flats boat with shallow draft and shallow gunwale. One day, it was perfectly calm and I decided to go fishing about 15 miles down the bay. The wind came up and it became pretty choppy on my return. About 4 miles from the landing, the outboard acted as if it was loosing power, then perked up again. Another mile and it again lost power, this time for good. I got towed in.

It was determined that the fuel fill drain vent was facing a little forward-a defect when it was built. As I was cutting through the waves, I was pumping salt water into the vent and into the gas tank. Gas floats and the salt water displaced the gas at the pickup, stalling the motor, and ruining the power head in the process. However, it was reparable. Being a several year old boat, I thought I was on the hook for major repairs. Until someone suggested I contact my boat insurance carrier. To my absolute amazement, the insurance covered the repair 100%.

I was totally dubious , actually reluctant, to contact the insurance company. It was worth a try as it may be in your case. It may be covered under comprehensive. Nothing to lose.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #20

As far as Framm oil filters failing internally I have not experienced that but I have had to put a screwdriver through them to get them off because the blasted previous owner or the dealer put them on so tight that they would deform. In that case I could see how that might damage them internally.
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote