Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

Safe T Alert CO/Propane Detector Problem

Has anyone had an issue with their detector going off? Mine did this in Florida numerous times over the winter and then stopped until now. It is going off every 5 to 10 minutes. Does anyone know where the fuse would be on the Georgetown XL 378? Please help!
XL 378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #2

Could be a sign of a low battery???
jcoff2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #3

On my 378 it's under the steps. Sounds like low batteries.
armye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Make sure your battery's are not out gassing. Check that none are not low on water. We had that problem and it was a bad battery. When they were replaced our detector was fine.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post
Make sure your battery's are not out gassing. Check that none are not low on water. We had that problem and it was a bad battery. When they were replaced our detector was fine.
Ditto. It can be very dangerous and one person had their batteries blow up. If you feel the batteries while charging and one is warmer than the other then that also can mean an internal short in the batteries. A new set of batteries made mine all better.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
Ditto. It can be very dangerous and one person had their batteries blow up. If you feel the batteries while charging and one is warmer than the other then that also can mean an internal short in the batteries. A new set of batteries made mine all better.
We had a battery blow up when our Georgetown was still under warranty. We had a problem with the alarm and had an appointment with a dealer to have it looked after. We were away and came back to the RV Park and found a battery had blown up. I called Forest River they had the dealer bring out two new batteries and we have not had an alarm since.
Protect-A-Tow
Old 06-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
10Isola

I too am having this issue. I've been plugged in to shore power all weekend. Shouldn't this take away any possible link with it being a bad battery. Since its hard wired and tied in to other components how can I disconnect this thing without it killing any of my other utilities. We are camping for the week, and I just want this thing to stop going off.
10Isola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #8

I had ours plugged in and had a bad battery. That was out gassing and setting of the alarm.
Protect-A-Tow
Old 06-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Isola View Post
I too am having this issue. I've been plugged in to shore power all weekend. Shouldn't this take away any possible link with it being a bad battery. Since its hard wired and tied in to other components how can I disconnect this thing without it killing any of my other utilities. We are camping for the week, and I just want this thing to stop going off.
Actually on shore power the batteries are on "trickle charge" or a little more than trickle. As they age they put off more gas, like hydrogen sulfide which will make its way past the steps and cause the propane alarm to go off. Even more than just in storage. Another cause I found with the oven on low or pilot, enough gas can accumulate from poor combustion to set off the alarm, happened just last night! Both events being alarmed is a good thing.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #10

Check your 40 amp fuses too
jcoff2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #11

If it's five years old or older it probably need s to be replaced. Had the same problem on my 360. Meathead from CW told me to just cut the wires, I did, it stopped the noise and also stopped the flow of propane, no cooking no heat. Just replace it.
tetsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Isola
Press your battery disconnect switch and the batteries will no longer charge but you'll still have 12v from the converter.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #13

two screws hold the unit in. Take the unit out far enough to see the back of unit, it has a replace by date, you did not mention how old your rv was, so your detector could be dying. It is wired to 12vt system and on some models has a propane shut off wired to it. If the detector is alerting, then you cannot use propane, cooking or heat or fridge if not plugged in. Hope this helps. Low Battery is most common issue. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #14

Thanks everybody, I am going to check the batteries. I have a 2013 so they are not a year old yet but that doesn't matter. We are plugged in all the time because we live in here full time.
XL 378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #15

I had this happen on mine sitting in the backyard; went outside on the back porch and heard a fast beeping noise coming from the camper. Went in, and reset the little button, and it quit. This happened 2 more mornings, and I told the wife about it, and she noticed the gas oven knob was on slightly, she was in there cleaning after a trip, and even though I had the gas tanks shut off, I guess the gas still in the lines made the detector go off. MORAL OF STORY; There is always a reason for the warnings!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #16

My 2011 came from the factory with new batteries that died in less than 2 months and they would not take a charge. FR sent two new batteries.
tetsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:13 AM   #17

I have the 35 / 742 Safe T Alert. The propane alarm was going off about every 3 weeks recently more often. I turned propane off at the tanks but still goes off. A quick question. Should both lights be green? Right now the CO light is solid green and the propane light is off.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #18

LP Alarm

Just a note to inform everyone that has the safe t alert 35 742, it may go off due to your black water tank being full due to the gasses that may escape the toilet. It happened to me.
Los94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #19

How do you know it was black tank? Can be hairspray, cleaning products or just a plain malfunction.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:53 PM   #20

Safe T Alert CO/Propane Detector Problem

They are only good for 5 years just replaced mine, it was 61 months old. It had caused trouble for 6 months. Ordered one off amazon. Remember it needs two extra white wires.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote