Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #1

Safety

I just traded in my Fleetwood Bounder on a FR Georgetown. The dealer has told me that unlike the Bounder when the engine is started the stairs will not retract unless the stair switch is in the position that retracts the stairs when the door is closed. This means that if you forget to switch this switch into the door closed position you can drive off with the stairs extended. Bounder has a much safer design if this is true. Question: Is the dealer right or is the stair controller installed wrong or defective? What do the stairs on your RV do when the ignition is turned on?
briton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
Weekender

I think that there is some confusion here. If the engine has been started and if the door is open, then the steps will remain extended. As soon as the door is closed, the steps will retract. Yes, you can drive off with the steps extended...if the door is still open! Excuse the rhetorical answer, but one stupid move deserves another! This feature allows one to exit or enter the coast while the engine is still running. Changing the step control switch to park mode defeats this action and the steps will remain extended when the coach is parked with the engine off. Even then, if the coach is started and the door is closed, the steps will retract. So in summary, the door switch is the major decision maker with the switch in one position and the ignition switch the major player in the other position.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #3

Closes on my 360XL in any position when engine is started and door is closed...

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #4

On my Georgetown if the switch is on to lock the steps and the engine is started the steps WILL retract

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #5

Ditto.

PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
Weekender

I have one more question, Briton. You stated that the dealer said that the steps operate that way. Have you tried to see if that is really what happens? If it does work that way, I think that there is a wiring problem. The controller is more than likely the standard control module that looks at the state of the two inputs, (1) door switch and (2) ignition switch. I have never heard of one working differently (like he said yours does) if it was properly wired. And one thing is for sure, I don't see how it could be considered 'safer'!
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #7

Safety

When the ignition is turned on, the door is closed and the switch is in the bypass mode the door will not retract. You could drive down the street with the door closed, stairs out and wiping out things on the way. I believe after your replies and further discussions with the dealer we are in agreement that it is not operating properly. FR is suppose to be sending new stairs to replace the ones that are damaged and a new module is suppose to be mounted on the underneath side of the stairs. Thanks to all for your replies.
briton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
toolman_57

When I drove my 364 home for the first time, the stairs kept extending. The screen door was warped at the bottom and was pulling away from the sensor. I explained all of this to the FR representative on the phone and learned how the system functions. There is enough room between the screen door and the main door for the screen to move far enough from the sensor to deploy the stairs with the engine running and the main door closed. The logic circuit will extend the stairs if the screen door is pulled away from the sensor no matter what position the stair switch is in or the ignition switch is in.

I bent the door in at the bottom so that I could safely drive the MH AND added a block of solid rubber to the outside door to ensure that the screen door can't move away from the sensor when the outside door is closed (I think this should be part of the design). FR is replacing my warped door under warranty. The "logic" of the stair design is to ensure safety of passenger's exiting the vehicle--that the stairs would exend when the door is opened.
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by briton View Post
..... The dealer has told me that unlike the Bounder when the engine is started the stairs will not retract unless the stair switch is in the position that retracts the stairs when the door is closed......
Why don't you test it out and see if the salesman knows what he is talking about and get back to us.
You also have to check if your slides are in.
You also have to check and see you disconnected from the power pole.
You also have to make sure the bathroom vent is closed.
You also need to unhook the water hose.

These are just a few things you should check for safety before you start the engine.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety