Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Sounds like you had an opportunity to take the demo for a long drive at the dealership's expense so you could verify the salesman's claims...
I know, right? He already denied it and said, he said it was 12 mpgs...which still doesn't make sense. I could understand if it was one of the new guys and really didn't know, but he said he's been selling RVs for 15 years.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
I know, right? He already denied it and said, he said it was 12 mpgs...which still doesn't make sense. I could understand if it was one of the new guys and really didn't know, but he said he's been selling RVs for 15 years.
Then I suspect he's been lying for 15 years.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #43
Professional Curmudgeon

I just got rid of my old class 'A' gasser. It has the Ford 460 V8 with carburetor. I used to make the blanket statement that it got 9 mpg whether I was towing or not. And for the most part, that was a true statement. It seemed that no matter what I did, the mpg wouldn't improve, nor would it get any worse. Of course, the truth of the matter is that if I let it sit and idle in the driveway, or if I drove up a lot of mountains, the mileage had to get worse. But people I talked to in conversation understood I wasn't lying; I was simply conveying the idea that this engine pretty much sucked a lot of gas, no matter what.
The difference, of course, is that I wasn't trying to sell something using it's mpg as a selling point. Though I would tend to think that he was trying to convey that the engine is so powerful it get the same mpg regardless of driving conditions, etc, his later retraction and insulting email would indicate otherwise...

I make it clear, in any sales situation, that I understand it is the salesman's job to separate me from as much of my money as possible, but if he lies to me along the way, I will walk away and find somebody else to deal with. Treat me as if I have some intelligence and I'll return the favor, otherwise don't waste my time.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Either this guy thought I was really stupid or there is something I don't know. The salesman swore that my 35 footer coach with a V10 will get 14 mpgs. I said, really! How's that? He said that the newer engines with the correct gearing allow for the extra mpgs. He even said that if I towed something I won't notice a drop in mpgs. I said, really!

This is my first motorhome, but I can tell you that I could only get 9-10 mpgs while towing a 25 footer Coachman freedom express with my Ram 1500 Hemi.
I swear these people stand there straight faced an tell junk like that, fact is they near owned let alone driven one, I dislike sales people. I find it hard to believe anyone could squeeze more mpg than I,40yrs as a over road truck driver, flat ground 1k mile trip pulling, no cruise, ideal conditions,7.5 one time I got 8.1 very best... 14mpg,, what an insult to our intelligents, hey.. I think that's why you see so many big diesel rigs less than one year old up for resale when they realize 6 mpg gets costly.. But for real traveler it's not all about mpg, its the fun of rving an exploring , right !
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydriven View Post
I swear these people stand there straight faced an tell junk like that, fact is they near owned let alone driven one, I dislike sales people. I find it hard to believe anyone could squeeze more mpg than I,40yrs as a over road truck driver, flat ground 1k mile trip pulling, no cruise, ideal conditions,7.5 one time I got 8.1 very best... 14mpg,, what an insult to our intelligents, hey.. I think that's why you see so many big diesel rigs less than one year old up for resale when they realize 6 mpg gets costly.. But for real traveler it's not all about mpg, its the fun of rving an exploring , right !
We love exploring. Next season we are going to see what Canada is all about. This season we tried "retirement" camping (permanent spot) and we totally hated it. Most other RVs in the site had converted their shacks into a bar. That got old real quick when you had a drunk speaking out loud right next to your bedroom window. We then changed spots in the same site, but it was boring. The years before we always pulled our TT to state parks and loved it. Only thing we didn't like is towing it and having everyone cramped up in the truck. Now we have space, toilet, fridge, water, and are very comfy.

Yeah, I still can't believe the salesman said that. Not only that, when I wrote my review, he sent a nasty gram. If I can cost that dealer one sale by telling other about it, I'll be a happy man. What goes around, comes around.

Tags
gas, mileage