Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #1

Salesman Gas Mileage

Either this guy thought I was really stupid or there is something I don't know. The salesman swore that my 35 footer coach with a V10 will get 14 mpgs. I said, really! How's that? He said that the newer engines with the correct gearing allow for the extra mpgs. He even said that if I towed something I won't notice a drop in mpgs. I said, really!

This is my first motorhome, but I can tell you that I could only get 9-10 mpgs while towing a 25 footer Coachman freedom express with my Ram 1500 Hemi.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #2

I believe now you can feel fortunate if you get around 7.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #3

that's what I though, I hate liars. I'm going to have a talk with him next time I visit the dealer.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #4

Take some math with you so you can prove it.

I'd just speak to the manager.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #5

I would have fell out laughing................ kind of like the Ford salesman told me years ago that any Aerostar mini van would tow like 2800 lbs........... he forgot to mention the part about when properly equipped......

Had a friend with an older V10 said he loved it but it did not miss too many gas stations.........

I got about the same when I had my Ram 1500 Hemi (8-9 towing a 25 footer) but the 3500 Duelly Cummins we get about 12 towing a 36 footer (19-20 solo).........

Enjoy..............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

WOW 14 mpg. I wish he was my salesman when we bought our coach!!! Then I'd only be using half the gas that I'm currently using.
Just returned from Myrtle Beach, 524 miles with no AC needed on the way there. Traveled mostly at nighttime and very little traffic. 7.8 to 7.9 mpg. The drive home with dash AC on and traffic, 2 accidents along the way, 7.1 to 7.2 mpg. Maybe he thinks you add the mpg coming and going together?? Wait that gives me almost 15 mpg!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Either this guy thought I was really stupid or there is something I don't know. The salesman swore that my 35 footer coach with a V10 will get 14 mpgs. I said, really! How's that? He said that the newer engines with the correct gearing allow for the extra mpgs. He even said that if I towed something I won't notice a drop in mpgs. I said, really!

This is my first motorhome, but I can tell you that I could only get 9-10 mpgs while towing a 25 footer Coachman freedom express with my Ram 1500 Hemi.
WOW!
14 mpg X 80 Gallon tank = 1120 miles.
Was he looking down to the ground or turned his eyes to the left.
That is two ways to tell if they are not telling the truth.

7mpg average even thought I did get over 8 MPG on a nice flat road at a speed of 55.
In California towing your max speed is 55 mph.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I can assure you alparmmer, that you were lied to. As one with the same RV as you and towing a Ford Focus, I am lucky to average 7 to 7.2 mpg. And that is running at 62mph.

I only wish that his words were true!!!
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #9

He kept a straight face when he said it. Just like when he said they never fill up the tank, which I made him do at the end of the deal. I knew it was BS, but didn't want to get into it with him since he was the expert and we were really excited. It was later on that I realized how much of a POS he was by saying it. He also said that I would get better MPGs if I ran the generator with one AC unit on, instead of running the engine compressor while driving...that one I'm unsure about.

On the lighter side, we traded in our 2011 Coachman Freedom Express that we paid 15k cash for it, used it three seasons, and they gave us 18k for it. MSRP on the FR was 120k, it was on sale for 90k, so we ended up with 72k. We thought that was a good deal...I hope!
Old 09-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
I only wish that his words were true!!!
That would make pulling into the gas station not so bad. Imagine in a year how much money we wouldn't spend on fuel or maybe we'd just go farther away on trips. We can only dream of those kind of numbers. Wonder if they have drug testing at that dealership?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #11

I tow 9500lbs with a V-10, and I only get 9.5 MPG on average. That's what I averaged from Las Vegas, NV to Monon Indiana, round trip...twice. When not towing, on a level road, for an extended period (I-40 in NM) I can get 14.0 MPG. I have the proper gearing, and all the other jazz, so I am happy with what I get. I figure if I can't afford the gas, I should not be RVing.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
That would make pulling into the gas station not so bad. Imagine in a year how much money we wouldn't spend on fuel or maybe we'd just go farther away on trips. We can only dream of those kind of numbers. Wonder if they have drug testing at that dealership?
I have to be honest and say that he did look a little loopy.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
I tow 9500lbs with a V-10, and I only get 9.5 MPG on average. That's what I averaged from Las Vegas, NV to Monon Indiana, round trip...twice. When not towing, on a level road, for an extended period (I-40 in NM) I can get 14.0 MPG. I have the proper gearing, and all the other jazz, so I am happy with what I get. I figure if I can't afford the gas, I should not be RVing.
This has nothing to do with affording the gas. It has to do with principle and the salesman assured me that 14 mpg was a fact. I could be a billionaire and I would still look for the cheaper gas station. If you had the exact same coach, side by side, and one gave you 7 mpg, but the other one, same price, gave you 14 mpg, which one would you get? The fact is that the salesman used a dirty trick to lure me in, so he thought, because I was ready to buy it even if he told me it would give me 5 mpg.

I don't understand how you could tow 9.5k pounds behind your coach and still get 9.5 Maybe I read it wrong.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #14

Apparently the sales person was referring to the new energy retrieval system. It involves attaching a big rubber band to the rear axle before you leave home....

Of course you have to drive backwards to get home!
Jim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sullivan View Post
Apparently the sales person was referring to the new energy retrieval system. It involves attaching a big rubber band to the rear axle before you leave home....

Of course you have to drive backwards to get home!
Did that once back in 69', but I'm feeling much better now!

Old 09-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #16

Quote:
This has nothing to do with affording the gas. It has to do with principle and the salesman assured me that 14 mpg was a fact. I could be a billionaire and I would still look for the cheaper gas station. If you had the exact same coach, side by side, and one gave you 7 mpg, but the other one, same price, gave you 14 mpg, which one would you get? The fact is that the salesman used a dirty trick to lure me in, so he thought, because I was ready to buy it even if he told me it would give me 5 mpg.

I don't understand how you could tow 9.5k pounds behind your coach and still get 9.5 Maybe I read it wrong.
No, my V-10 is in a pick up, but pretty much the same engine. My TT weighs 9500 lbs. Also I was not implying anything about the price of gas vs mpg. Just threw that in there off the cuff..........
Old 10-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
Retired US Army CW4

I had a guy at the Pomona RV Show tell me I would get "at least 12 MPG clean and 10 MPG when towing my 4 door Jeep". Even my wife had a smirk on her face when he said that. I told him I would buy the motorhome if he would write that into the sales contract. He went in to the sales tent to talk to his Manager and never came back. Another salesman came out and told me the guy was new and didn't really know what he was talking about. YA THINK? I went to another dealer.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
No, my V-10 is in a pick up, but pretty much the same engine. My TT weighs 9500 lbs. Also I was not implying anything about the price of gas vs mpg. Just threw that in there off the cuff..........

We are talkin about rigs that weigh 22,000 to 26,000 lbs pulling a car.
So you can't compare your PU and trailer cause we pull a lot more weight. That's why we get 7-8 mpg.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #19

How do you guys determine your MPGs? The little display in my dash doesn't appear to have that option.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #20

Quote:
How do you guys determine your MPGs? The little display in my dash doesn't appear to have that option.
Fill-up and start mileage.
Next fill-up gallons divided into miles travelled
That gives you MPG

Tags
gas, mileage