Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #1

Sat. Receiver very Hot!

Picked up my used 09 370TS Thursday, turned on Sat. Saturday evening, lost pwr to it 30 min. later. The receiver box was very Hot. Next morning we turned it on and worked normal but we turned sys. off.

The Mech. installed the Sat. receiver on top of DVD box and another box on top of receiver plus power supply behind all that. Seems odd every thing in small cabinet just to right of entry door. Also you can not keep your hand on receiver , it is very hot not even turned on!! Thanks for any ideas. Driver
Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #2

I know in my 5th wheel the cabinet the av equipment was in stayed very hot. And the sat recevier would shut down. Put some seperation between each box and left cab door open for venting.
ArkyGeorgetown330TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #3

Don't know what receivers you are using but the instructions for ours (Dish Network) and the stickers on them clearly state not to put on top of or under other equipment, that they must have space around them. Our dish receiver is in it's own compartment in the overhead above the passenger/drivers head in front and even when the sun is hitting the front of the rig it can heat up the compartment enough for the receiver to shut down. We usually keep the door open to that cabinet when it is hot outside. It would be advisable to separate the receiver in your rig from the other equipment or I am sure you will continue to have the over heating problems.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #4

When I was checking out my sat deal sometime back, I noticed the same problem. I had the Directv box sitting on top of my video switch and the cabinet door open (sits on the right side of main tv), but after about an hour, the box shutdown, at first we didn't know what had happened but after 15 minutes, it fired back up again although it did it again shortly after. Apparently it has a thermal switch in it that keeps it from overheating.

When I do the permanent installation, I plan on putting in a small shelf on the right about halfway up in the cabinet. This way the box can sit by itself and hopefully will stay cool enough to function correctly.
Chasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #5

Thanks everyone ! Will get some seperation and see what happens. Have a great day.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #6

You can use notebook cooling mats under each unit. Additionally you can go to a local computer company and purchase a couple of silent case fans, a "y" splitter cable, and an inexpensive external hard drive kit (one without the actual hard drive) and use it for the power converter. Both solutions are used by custom home theater installation companies with the same problem, but far more expensive electronics.
GeorgeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #7

Thanks George, I'll look into that. Temp. placed small wood spacers between each unit, when parked. Also turned off power supply that is jammed behind equipment. This really helped. Seems like installers would be aware of this problem. At any rate thank you, I will check it out.