Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #1

Satellite Prep

I found the false vent on the roof of my coach. Opened it up and in there is a coax cable and a single grey wire. My satellite dome needs 12v plus the coax.

Anyone know how this satellite prep is supposed to work? Am I supposed to use the shield on the coax as 12v ground and the single wire as 12v positive maybe?

Also so far I haven't found the other end of the grey wire. But I haven't looked very closely for it yet inside either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4115696555.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	7621  
Old 08-27-2011, 04:28 AM   #2

That's funny, I was wondering what the gray wire up in my cabinet that has the stereo/dvd player in was for. Some satellite equipment and antennas operate thru the coax. Hard to tell you without seeing the install book you have
Fourn3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:29 AM   #3

the gray wire may just be like a pull string
Fourn3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:17 AM   #4

The ones I used to install had a seperate power wire, 16/2. The sat receiver (DTV), IRD, outputs 2 different voltages on the coax, 13VDC and 18VDC. One is for even sat transponders and the other for odd transponders. The voltage supplies the power to the LNB (the round thingy infront of the dish). The LNB is the actual antenna the dish is a reflector. The IRD puts out very low amps. I doubt the moving of the dish can be supported from the power on the coax provided by the IRD. Use caution and be sure to read the installation istructions completely prior to beginning an installation. The components inside the stabilized antenna are sensitive (not to say expensive).
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #5

Well I don't know how those wires where meant to be used so I just drilled a new hole. New hole was drilled right in the home theater compartment where I put the DVR. Pulled two coax (so I can record two things at once) and two power wires (+ and -).

Works great so far. I picked this dome up used on Craigslist.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures. It was around 95 degrees today, hotter I think on the roof. I was pretty cooked and somehow forgot that I had the good camera in the tool bag. And so I took pictures with my phone. Looks like I even got my finger in one of the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-08-27_15-16-43_342-rotated.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	7636   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-08-27_15-16-28_838-rotated.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	7637   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-08-27_12-14-25_936-rotated.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	7638   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-08-27_15-17-04_352-rotated.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	7639  
Old 08-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #6

Oh and here's a picture of the inside. You can see the new sat dome power switch on the right side of the picture with the white plate around it. And you can see the DVR in the cabinet.

You can also see my foot because I'm laid back on the couch. I started the AC when I started working. So it was nice and cool inside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4352.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	7640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4352-cropped.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	7641  
Old 08-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Camping World installed mine the exact same way. Nice looking job.
Our front layouts are exactly the same only we have the birch fabric interior.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Camping World installed mine the exact same way. Nice looking job.
Our front layouts are exactly the same only we have the birch fabric interior.
Thanks!

I like the front layout. The only thing I wish it had was a curtain just behind the drivers chairs. I think I may have to find some curtain track or something and rig that up. So when driving at night I can shut the driving area off from the living section.

For instance when I drive at night the blinking light on the propane detector reflects off my glasses. So the whole time I drive at night I have a faint light blinking at me in my right eye.

Not to mention how bright it is if somebody goes back there and turns on a light or opens the fridge.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #9

nice job
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
Thanks!

I like the front layout. The only thing I wish it had was a curtain just behind the drivers chairs. I think I may have to find some curtain track or something and rig that up. So when driving at night I can shut the driving area off from the living section.

For instance when I drive at night the blinking light on the propane detector reflects off my glasses. So the whole time I drive at night I have a faint light blinking at me in my right eye.

Not to mention how bright it is if somebody goes back there and turns on a light or opens the fridge.
I want to do the same thing with a curtain. Especially when it's cold outside. The cold radiates to the front and the dash heater does ok on high but it would be nice to heat a smaller area.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:10 PM   #11

We did that in our 373. It's very easy to do. I went to Home Depot and got a solid wood (about 1" diameter) curtain rod. I then cut it to the length of the interior of the coach from wall to wall less about a 1/4" on both ends. Next I got a felt pad like they use under chair legs and applied one to both ends. A hole through the rod and a sting loop allows the use of a picture wall mount on each wall to hold up the rod. This is nice because it also makes it removable. Add a set of curtains of your choice and you're good to go.

Works great at keeping the dash air up front while driving.
rxfiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite