Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #1

Satellite Stystems, (Dish Network)

Looking for recommendations on what Satellite System would work best on our MH, that'll be compatible with Dish Network. I've seen some portable systems that you can basically mount them temporarily or permanently and they locate the satellite(s) automatically. I'm open to any and all suggestions, just want to know what works the best and easiest too. I've also heard about the ones that work while on the move but haven't talked to anyone who's actually have them. Thanks for your time. Guy
camboneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I have DirecTV but the Satelite Dishes will work with either Dish Network or DirecTV. I have a Winegard, which has many different set-ups. We've had ours for over 4 years and have never had any problems with it. Our Dish is connected to a Tivo unit so we record shows at home, especially the free weekends of HBO, Starz, Showtime etc.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #3

We used a ViewCube with DirecTv for a few years. Only took about five minutes to set up and could move it anywhere in order to "see" the southwestern sky. The drawback for me was that it was not High Def. And I like my High Def!! With the new 378TS we have the 40" High Def TV so....had the Winegard dish mounted on the roof. Sure like the auto locate ability. And so far we have always found a site that we could find the southwestern sky to get a signal.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #4

i have dish network and went to a winguard carry out last year. usually hook it to the receiver then put the power to the ant. it locates 110, 119, and 129 and sets them in memory. each time u change channel, it rotates to the proper sat and polarity. it has a second output but the second receiver can only view channels and polarity that the A receiver does (abt half the channels on that sat).
if the dish gets moved, u have to go thru the initial set up again.
i put mine on a tripod, that way it doesn't shift while rotating on uneven ground.

it is pricey but i am happy with it.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #5

We have the Winegard Travler...automatic ...the only way to go...works fantastic.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkatronron View Post
We have the Winegard Travler...automatic ...the only way to go...works fantastic.
Ditto on the Winegard Traveler
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #7

I have a KVH Tracvision system on my 337. It was originally on my class c Winnebago. When I traded for the Georgetown, I had the system transferred to the new coach. It works great, tracks 110,119 and 129. It is an "in motion" system which is great, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost. We've driven about 5K miles with it and I'm guessin' it's been on no more then an hour while we were on the move. Unless you have youngsters that you want to keep occupied while you're rollin', I'd opt for a stationary system. Winegard is hard to beat.
bendrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #8

Dish connection location

Just purchased a 2006 349ts. Question: Where is the sat connection on the coach. The one that goes to the dish on the ground. I know where the other end is in the interior cabinet. THANKS
Repairguyjsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

not sure on your unit but i had one trailer that had it on the left side of tt back by electrical hook up.
on my new 5er it is in a cubby where my water hooks up . look around the outside you should have a cable hook up and or a satellite receptacle.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairguyjsb View Post
Just purchased a 2006 349ts. Question: Where is the sat connection on the coach. The one that goes to the dish on the ground. I know where the other end is in the interior cabinet. THANKS
There's only one that is prepped on the coach. It's under a Vent Cap on the roof near the front of the coach. The cap looks the same as the Plumbing Vent Caps. Mine was off to the right side ahead of the entrance door. remove the cap and you should see it down inside there. This is a set-up for a dome or dish to be mounted on the roof. Otherwise there is no designated connection near the ground. I have a TV Outlet in one of the compartments on the passenger side that could be used if disconnect it from your video selector in the cabinet.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 08-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
not sure on your unit but i had one trailer that had it on the left side of tt back by electrical hook up.
on my new 5er it is in a cubby where my water hooks up . look around the outside you should have a cable hook up and or a satellite receptacle.
The one you are referring to is in the compartment at the very rear on the driver's side where the Power Cord is stored and connected to the coach. That is set up as a Park Cable and goes to the front to the Video Selector Box. You could use this to connect a dish to and then connect it to your receiver inside but not run it through the selector box.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 08-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
The one you are referring to is in the compartment at the very rear on the driver's side where the Power Cord is stored and connected to the coach. That is set up as a Park Cable and goes to the front to the Video Selector Box. You could use this to connect a dish to and then connect it to your receiver inside but not run it through the selector box.
I have a 2012 378 Georgetown and the first time I tried to connect an external satellite dish in the box located in the electricity compartment it does'nt work... but how do you connect your receiver ? in the output of the RCA dvd player and which cable goes to the TV? what is the selection with the black selector box, the one with «satellite» or «cable»?
I am confuse with the connection of the satellite receiver and the position selection with the black box selector?
Thank you for your help.
senforex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Here's how I got my dish network dish for my 5er.
I seen a (direct tv ) installation truck in town and I stopped him and asked if he had any dish network hd dishes that he replaced with a direct tv one.
he. Said he had 3 .
he got out opened up the van handed me an hd dish with the 3 lnb's and mounting bracket and said here you go. I said how much he said there free everyday!
I went home and mounted it on a trial pod halogen light stand and wa la.
ill post pics tonight.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I connected the dish to the sat/cable out side connection.
then on the inside there another sat/cable port I hooked that to the dish receiver. And if you have an hd sat then you need a one into two splitter. Then from the reciever to the tv. Via rca cables
clear as mud?
if you have hd then you have to have that splitter!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If you need to I can post pics tonight
Old 08-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #16

Quote:
If you need to I can post pics tonight
Thank you for your offer, however inside my Georgetown I can not find any sat/cable port in the upper cabinet on the passenger side that could be used, I only have a RCA dvd player and the black box on top with 4 black cables coming out with a 3 positions selection button (antenna, cable, aux satellite).
At the back there is the tv antenna booster with a push button.
senforex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #17

Easiest would be the permantly installed sat unit on the roof. I was a marine electronics tech and we were a KVH dealer/ service center. I worked mostly on yachts, but would do service work on RVs as well. They have come a long way and are very reliable. The thing you have to look at is do you need the in motion stabilized dish or not? If you aren't going to watch TV while traveling often, then don't bother. If you leave it off while traveling, when you get to the CG, you turn it on and it will have to search for the satellite same as the parked version. Only you know the answer to which one best suits you. It is as easy as turning on a switch. Personally, if I was to have a MH, I would get the one for stationary use. I never watched TV on the boats while underway. The boats all use an "in motion" type system because the boat is often moving even at a dock. I would not want to use one of the versions that you have to drag out and connect the cable. JMO.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by senforex View Post
Thank you for your offer, however inside my Georgetown I can not find any sat/cable port in the upper cabinet on the passenger side that could be used, I only have a RCA dvd player and the black box on top with 4 black cables coming out with a 3 positions selection button (antenna, cable, aux satellite).
have you contacted the dealer and ask them .......... sorry i didn't read all the post to see if you had .
Old 08-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
I connected the dish to the sat/cable out side connection.
then on the inside there another sat/cable port I hooked that to the dish receiver. And if you have an hd sat then you need a one into two splitter. Then from the reciever to the tv. Via rca cables
clear as mud?
if you have hd then you have to have that splitter!
Guys, if you want a truly 1080 HD picture you're going to have to run an HDMI cable from the receiver to your main TV. RCA cables and coax provide only a 720 picture. The dishnetwork installer would not even install an HD receiver in my motorhome until I installed an HDMI cable to my TV. If he could have reached with the 3 ft. HDMI cable that is provided with the receiver he would have installed it. I had to use a 12 ft. cable. If it is farther tha 3 ft. its your responsibility. To hook up to satellite from the outside cable hookup in the back all you have to do is take the cable off the cable connection on the back of the switch box and connect it to the receiver. If there are two satellite inputs on the receiver you'll need to use a splitter. I have a winegard traveler on my motorhome and highly recommend it. No more fooling around a half hour or so trying to get a signal. It does it automatically in about 10, while I sit there and deink a beer.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by senforex View Post
Take another look inside your cabinet. Take the black box and the player out if you have to, look behind them, should be an orange coax with "satellite" tag on it. This coax will lead to the vent cap on your roof right above the upper cabinet. That is what I found in my GT. Good luck...!!

Tags
satellite