Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 02-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #1

Satellite dish receiver

Where do you connect the satellite receiver box to the TV if you have a portable satellite dish and where do you connect the satellite dish to go into the unit?

We are looking at buying the Georgetown XL 378.

Thanks for input.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #2

I also have a portable SAT dish.
I usually bring in the coax from the dish around the right slide forward near the passengers seat. It will go around the rubber seal of the slide.
I hook it up to my receiver box below the TV in the compartment.
Then output the receiver to the TV using HDMI cable but you can also use a regular short coax.

( 2013 - 98 days ) ( 2012 - 63 days )
USAF Retired - MSgt
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #3

This block diagram interconnect will provide standard definition (SD) satellite to your tv's using the DISH carryout antenna and associated receiver. High defination (HD) requires the HDMI output from the receiver to the TV and if your coach is like mine the HDMI cabling has not been installed in your coach. IGGY's hookup will accomplish the HD requirement if needed. Routing of an HDMI cable seemed to be a bucket of worms undertaking. We are satisfied with SD reception and this installation seemed to be the easiest way to accomplish that and still have the ability for park cable interface. The sat receiver can be controlled with the remote control even with the overhead door closed through the tinted plexi insert. If your newer coach is perhaps wired differently then this diagram will possibly be of no use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_Wiring_Diagram2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	45738  
Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #4

If you not worried about park cable, just plug it into the cable connection where your power cable is located, put your receiver under TV inside cabinet, disconnect the coax from TV and plug into sat receiver then use the hdmi from sat receiver to tv. your done. Just leave the switch box in the cable mode.
&
Our Baby Dachshunds
Cammie and Charlie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
If you not worried about park cable, just plug it into the cable connection where your power cable is located, put your receiver under TV inside cabinet, disconnect the coax from TV and plug into sat receiver then use the hdmi from sat receiver to tv. your done. Just leave the switch box in the cable mode.
I think the new GT's have done away with the cabinet below the TV. I think they now have the fireplace and a plastic brick facade.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #6

Yes, in the 378 XL there is no cabinet near the TV. Don't know how to even get behind the TV to connect the satellite dish. From the brochure, it looks like there is a place on the right side of the TV that you can access the TV but not sure. We haven't actually bought the mh yet but would like to get this resolved before we do. We hope to go see one this weekend.

Thanks for all the response.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlcd View Post
Yes, in the 378 XL there is no cabinet near the TV. Don't know how to even get behind the TV to connect the satellite dish. From the brochure, it looks like there is a place on the right side of the TV that you can access the TV but not sure. We haven't actually bought the mh yet but would like to get this resolved before we do. We hope to go see one this weekend.

Thanks for all the response.
I have the cabinet below the TV but if installed there the cabinet door would have to be open to allow the remote to change channels etc.. You'll figure it out for what you need. Everyone does.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #8

Just have the cabinet cracked it works fine std least for me

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forest River Forums mobile app
&
Our Baby Dachshunds
Cammie and Charlie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #9

A week or so ago I posted pics of what I did in our 2013 georgetown 378
I installed a new tv and place a shelf under the tv. The new tv had a smaller bezel that then gave me more room to install a shelf and then under the shelf I placed a direct tv receiver and a home theater unit. Works and sounds great.
I will be adding a wireless hdmi transmitter/receiver so the bedroom tv can pickup the direct tv receiver's channels.
The receiver is a HD so it is controlled by RF remote, enabling it to be controlled by the remote in the bedroom. Another option to control the home stereo is the transmitter/receiver has a ir blaster built into it.

You can search my post with pictures on the setup.

It's either under "blue ray" or "DVD". I posted it a couple of weeks ago.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #10

We chose the Wiengard Travler sat dish. Had CW install it. Depending on which carrier you choose it will run 1500 to 2000. I know it is a lot but we get every hd channel we subscribe to on Directv everywhere. It is an auto tuning unit but cannot be used while moving. We thought it might be over the top but our decision lets us park and turn the antenna on while connecting the services and all the tv's work. One of the great features is that this has 4 outputs. Two for the dvr rcvr, one for the bedroom rvr and one for the outside rcvr. We move our home rcvrs' to the 378 when we travel.

2012 Georgetown 378
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite