Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #1

Satellite install on Georgetown

Just couple of quick questions. Here are two images from my 2016 G-town model 364. One taken on the roof, the other in the upper compartment on the passenger side. I'm installing a King Tailgater -- permanent mount).

I assume the clear plastic dome on the roof (first image) covers an access hole and the leads for factory installed coax cables for the satellite antenna? Any thing else in there?

The second image is of the upper compartment above the passenger chair. On the right is a switch box for "cable, antenna and satellite and input". In the upper left of the photo is a 120 AVC outlet (for the satellite receiver -- in this case a Wally) and in between is a flat brown outlet with a male coax (this is marked "King" on the plate). Is that for satellite "signal in"?

I sent a query to via email and voice mail to FR tech support last week and I expect I'll hear back from them "some day".

I'm also installing 600 W of solar panels to the roof. I wonder if I could not use that same access port (or satellite) to run the 10 ga wire from the solar panels to the charge controller in the battery compartment?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Satellite01.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	150877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Satellite02.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	150878  
Old 09-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #2

I had to pull he receptacle out for access. I found a white coax behind there that went to the roof. There was also a four conductor wire taped to it for a 12 volt supply to the antenna, yours may or may not need that. My roof access port looked like a sewer vent, it had a cap on it that you removed a screw from, pulled the cap and there were the wires. Had to put an end on the coax cable, guess that was just a little too expensive for Forest River to mess with. Hope this helps.
Gbegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbegoon View Post
I had to pull he receptacle out for access. I found a white coax behind there that went to the roof. There was also a four conductor wire taped to it for a 12 volt supply to the antenna, yours may or may not need that. My roof access port looked like a sewer vent, it had a cap on it that you removed a screw from, pulled the cap and there were the wires. Had to put an end on the coax cable, guess that was just a little too expensive for Forest River to mess with. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the comments -- that helps. Yes I believe the Tailgater (King) does not require any power supply outside of the coax but I'll soon find out it should he here today.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #4

Just a comment. The Wally only has HDMI output for the TV. The Tailgater gets power via the coax cable from the Wally. I wish my GT was prewired for HDMI but alas it is not.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Just a comment. The Wally only has HDMI output for the TV. The Tailgater gets power via the coax cable from the Wally. I wish my GT was prewired for HDMI but alas it is not.
Well that is pretty interesting.

I have had no previous experience with Dish Network -- we use Direct TV at home. Sounds like you are saying I can't use a Wally in my coach unless I run HDMI cable?

So far I've only purchased the Tailgater is there RV-compatible Dish receiver outputs to coax then?

I suppose I could use the Wally if I purchased an HDMI-Over-Coaxial converter -- but I wonder if the signal loses definition when you do that?
Old 09-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo444 View Post

I have had no previous experience with Dish Network -- we use Direct TV at home. Sounds like you are saying I can't use a Wally in my coach unless I run HDMI cable?

So far I've only purchased the Tailgater is there RV-compatible Dish receiver outputs to coax then?

I suppose I could use the Wally if I purchased an HDMI-Over-Coaxial converter -- but I wonder if the signal loses definition when you do that?

It is best not use an HDMI over coaxial converter because you loose HD. Instead use a wireless HDMI transmitter with 1 or 2 receivers. No lose in HD quality.
With an HDMI transmitter you can place the receiver in any location in your coach.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:

If you don't want to go the wireless HDMI route the Dish VIP211K receiver has HDMI and Coax outputs. With coax output SD will be what you view. There is also the VIP211Z but it also only has HDMI output. The VIP211K is available but not through Dish. It is more robust than the Wally but, unlike the Wally, it uses an IR remote not an RF remote. Most use the wireless HDMI if HD is their preference. I personally am happy with SD and use the VIP211K receiver and the existing coax interconnects. It's a matter of choice.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #8

Quote:

Fargo, maybe this will fill your needs. Just need to replace your wall plate in the cabinet. Coax from antenna just needs to screw into back.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	151066
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #9

Thanks! Is that a coax to HDMI signal converter? So the HDMI signal out of the Wally goes in and COAX signal comes out? That would seem to be the ideal solution as HD is not big deal -- we did not have it in out older MH with Direct TV either.

I went over to the MH home today (we park it about 10 miles from the house) and looked behind the panel in the middle compartment and found what others have reported -- a five-port COAX splitter (1 -"in" and four "out" ports). The COAX cable on the "in" port is obviously from the over-the-air antenna (that is the only antenna on the MH now).

Two of the "out" ports have COAX cables: One runs to the main TV in the front and to the two small TVs over each bunk bed. The other "out" COAX runs to the bedroom TV and the outdoor TV. (I confirmed by disconnecting).

But here is the odd part the signal to those two "out" ports seems to be different! The one that goes to the main and bunk TVs carries one group of channels and the one that goes to the bedroom and outdoor TV a different set of channels? Make sense?

How can a COAX splitter separate the incoming TV signal? See diagram I create to illustrate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coax01.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	151074  
Old 09-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #10

I think you will find that the splitter "IN" port is from your Movie Vision selector. That selector has inputs for antenna/park cable/ and an aux/satellite input. That selector distributes whatever is selected to the TV's via that splitter.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #11

Quote:
I think you will find that the splitter "IN" port is from your Movie Vision selector. That selector has inputs for antenna/park cable/ and an aux/satellite input. That selector distributes whatever is selected to the TV's via that splitter.
OK Thanks that makes sense. I've asked FR or a cable wiring diagram but got nothing so far.

If I understand you are saying this is what I am looking at?

But it is still odd that the signal is apparently different to the two banks of TVs?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coax04.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	151084  
Old 09-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #12

I stole this picture from another thread on this forum but I assume this is what I will find when I open the clear domed cap on top of the Georgetown. (see pic). What is the telephone wire for? I assume it is probably used for allowing the Dish receiver to communicate with the Tailgater for finding the satellites?

I am still looking for that white COAX inside the coach. All of the COAX cables that I have found inside (in the upper center compartment) are black coated?
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2017, 05:41 AM   #13

This may help you out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Coax prints 3-30-17.pdf (301.8 KB, 318 views)
Old 09-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #14

Quote:
This may help you out.
Thanks a lot!

Yes I would say that will DEFINITELY help out! If I might ask how did you manage to get those diagrams from Forest River? I requested a set via email but they have not gotten to it yet apparently.

So according to this diagram I can should be able to see the white COAX from the roof in the upper compartment -- so far I haven't but I'll look again. (Of course when I open the cover on top I might find they dd not use white COAX on my coach?)

If both the bunks and bedroom TVs are getting the signal off the same splitter I still cannot understand why the three TVs won't pick up the same channels? Maybe is has something to do with the bunks being Furrion TVs and the bedroom a Seiko unit? (I know it should but...).

As an aside this diagram says the main TV is connected to the Furrion home entertainment system (AM/FM/DVD) with either HDMI or RCA connectors -- in my case it seems to be RCA cables -- perhaps because of the distance?

Do any Forest River coaches come pre-wired with HDMI cables?
Old 09-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #15

I don't have your model coach. The diagrams were posted by someone else. The HDMI install is a home theater option per the drawing (see lower right hand drawing info block on drawing). Be aware that all GT's are not necessarily created equal for these kind of installs.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #16

Quote:
I don't have your model coach. The diagrams were posted by someone else. The HDMI install is a home theater option per the drawing (see lower right hand drawing info block on drawing). Be aware that all GT's are not necessarily created equal for these kind of installs.
Actually the diagrams do cover my model (364) so they will work great I think.

Too bad Forest River does not have someone who will send those kind of things out to the owners. I've gotten several calls back from FR tech support but if you are not available at the time they call they just leave a message that they called. It would be more efficient to answer your question via the voice mail -- might eliminate a lot of call backs and make their job actually easier?

Yes I noticed that the HDMI connection from the Home Theater to the main TV is a option. For whatever reason mine has an RCA connection but I suppose I could run an HDMI cable if I wanted to some time.

I am thinking that HDMI cabling is perhaps a factory build option that can be specified if you order a new coach. I think heavy duty suspension can be ordered on a new build also.

Regarding the white COAX -- I saw your note in an earlier string noting that the white lead from the roof opening might be spliced into a black cable inside the coach so I'll look for that also.

Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #17

Here's what I have found on my 378 model. On top of my coach I have what looks like a sewer air vent. I popped it off to find a white coaxial cable and a telephone line cable. The telephone line cable has a 12 volt (red) and ground (black) already connected to coach power. Inside the coach, right behind the center cabinet, is where the coaxial was. I had to fish that coaxial cable, from that location, to the right cabinet through the 120 power receptacle. In other words I found the white coaxial cable with my flexible camera on my phone and then fishing it to the right cabinet. Why they don't bring that coaxial cable into the right cabinet I don't know.
On my coach the white coaxial cable is not spliced or connected to anything but just tucked behind the center cabinet.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Here's what I have found on my 378 model. On top of my coach I have what looks like a sewer air vent. I popped it off to find a white coaxial cable and a telephone line cable. The telephone line cable has a 12 volt (red) and ground (black) already connected to coach power. Inside the coach, right behind the center cabinet, is where the coaxial was. I had to fish that coaxial cable, from that location, to the right cabinet through the 120 power receptacle. In other words I found the white coaxial cable with my flexible camera on my phone and then fishing it to the right cabinet. Why they don't bring that coaxial cable into the right cabinet I don't know.
On my coach the white coaxial cable is not spliced or connected to anything but just tucked behind the center cabinet.
Thanks! Good info. I will look again behind that center compartment. The RJ-14 telephone cable was there....but I did not find the end of it yet.

Great idea on the camera -- I have a flexible boroscope that attaches to my cell phone and I use it to look inside mandolins that I build or repair and I'm sure that I could use that to look for the cable!
Old 09-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks! Good info. I will look again behind that center compartment. The RJ-14 telephone cable was there....but I did not find the end of it yet.

Great idea on the camera -- I have a flexible boroscope that attaches to my cell phone and I use it to look inside mandolins that I build or repair and I'm sure that I could use that to look for the cable!

Correction on what I wrote. The other end of the telephone wire was really taped to the end of the white coaxial cable behind the center cabinet. I added a plugin fuse that was tapped into the antenna booster. I can take a picture of what I did if you want.
I am a little concerned the telephone wire is about a 22 gauge wire, not really that large for a satellite antenna.
I used the telephone wire to bring 12 volts to an outside camera.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Correction on what I wrote. The other end of the telephone wire was really taped to the end of the white coaxial cable behind the center cabinet. I added a plugin fuse that was tapped into the antenna booster. I can take a picture of what I did if you want.
I am a little concerned the telephone wire is about a 22 gauge wire, not really that large for a satellite antenna.
I used the telephone wire to bring 12 volts to an outside camera.
Thanks for the offer and info!!

Actually I do not anticipate a problem with power. The King Tailgater is powered by the COAX cable and does not need another power source.

But for this application I think the telephone wire is used to allow the Wally receiver to "communicate" with the Tailgater -- this probably comes in to play when the dish is finding the satellites?

Tags
lite, satellite, georgetown