Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #1

Satellite pre wiring on 378XL

Has anyone installed a satellite on their Georgetown. Supposedly it is pre wired for satellite however the pre wiring on ours has a 4 wire 24 gauge control cable and a coax in the roof penetration on the top. Looking at it I am not convinced that the control wire that is factory installed is adequate for the satellite (Direct Tv Traveler antenna). Can anyone tell me if they had the antenna installed and if the pre wired control cable was used. Thanks.

JimF
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
2016 Georgetown XL 360 DS

I installed a satellite on my 2016 360, it was prewired, very easy install. I removed the prewire cover on the roof and found the 4 wire 24 gauge wire, decided those wires were not going to work, tried to use it as a pull wire for the satellite cables, that didn't work either, wires are taped together.
I had a inspection camera so I used it to look at the pathway and discovered there was a straight shot big enough for the sat cables and connectors from the roof prewire cover to the overhead cabinets above the drivers seat. I pushed the wires through the pathway to the space behind the cabinets. I removed the back access panel from the center cabinet and found the wires. it was only a 3 foot pathway on my MH so it worked out pretty good, easy pull, no strain on the wires. good luck.
jimpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpacker View Post
I installed a satellite on my 2016 360, it was prewired, very easy install. I removed the prewire cover on the roof and found the 4 wire 24 gauge wire, decided those wires were not going to work, tried to use it as a pull wire for the satellite cables, that didn't work either, wires are taped together.
I had a inspection camera so I used it to look at the pathway and discovered there was a straight shot big enough for the sat cables and connectors from the roof prewire cover to the overhead cabinets above the drivers seat. I pushed the wires through the pathway to the space behind the cabinets. I removed the back access panel from the center cabinet and found the wires. it was only a 3 foot pathway on my MH so it worked out pretty good, easy pull, no strain on the wires. good luck.
Trying to do the same thing on my 335. Did you remove the horizontal trim piece in front of the shade to get access to the back of the overhead storage compartment or is there another way.

Always seems that I leave my borescope somewhere else when I need it!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
2016 Georgetown XL 360 DS

My center cabinet back wall had a 6" x 16" wooden access panel, I removed the 6 wood screws and had full access to the space behind the 3 cabinets.
jimpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:44 AM   #5

Sounds like my story - it was pre-wired to no where - There was a cable(white) and on the roof and another one(black) coming into the coach at the 3 way switch. Neither was connected/terminated. The other wire on the roof appeared to be for voltage - it too ran no where and wasn't heavy duty enough for much amperage in my opinion - didn't need to use it however.

And yes - the middle cabinet on top had to be accessed to get to both un-terminated ends. Was disappointed that this wasn't finished out. However my service department deemed this as a defect - resolved at no charge.

Hope that helps.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #6

Thanks for the assistance,it is as suspected, not the correct wiring. I can handler from here.

JimF
Old 09-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #7

I have a 2015 xl 377. And I'm trying to find the wires coming from the roof. I do not see a access panel in any of the three panels above the front seats. Is there somewhere else I should be looking or do l need to cut my own hole in one of them? Want to install a trav'ler dish 1000. Thanks for any input.
revflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #8

Revflyer, you have the same problem I had, had a response that pretty well explained it. I looked in the middle compartment and found there were trim pieces around the back wall. I pried those off and found the back panel was stapled in in a couple of places. Pulled them and found I had an access panel. The back wall of the center compartment is "supposed" to be held in with screws in each corner. Anyway, got in and found the roof satellite cable was white and just hanging loose. The cable on the A-B switch was black, found it was also hanging loose in the behind cabinet compartment, it and the white cable had no cable ends, just loose wire. Crap work by the factory for sure. Also found the so called control cable is 4 strand telephone wire, also laying loose. Pull the roof satellite access port and you can run new cable and control wire through the roof port and out behind the cabinet works. Can easily pull it in and to your satellite control box. Hope that helps.

JimF

JimF
Old 09-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #9

Thanks, how did you reach that far back without standing on the cup holders. Looks like I could put blocks on each side of the engine cover and stand on a board? Thanks again. I agree very poor work from forest River
revflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by revflyer View Post
Thanks, how did you reach that far back without standing on the cup holders. Looks like I could put blocks on each side of the engine cover and stand on a board? Thanks again. I agree very poor work from forest River

I stood on the engine cover, foot on either side of the cup holders. It supported me, of course I'm a light guy. Good luck.

JimF
Old 09-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by revflyer View Post
I have a 2015 xl 377. And I'm trying to find the wires coming from the roof. I do not see a access panel in any of the three panels above the front seats. Is there somewhere else I should be looking or do l need to cut my own hole in one of them? Want to install a trav'ler dish 1000. Thanks for any input.
Unfortunately the service techs had to remove the paneling(middle cabinet) along the top. They did a good job of putting back - with tape actually and then covered with corner trim...looks good.

I personally wouldn't have done that but seeing what they did - I would be less apprehensive.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
378xl, satellite, wiring