Old 02-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #1

Satellite Question

I wrote a similar post 5 minutes ago, but it disappeared into the ether so my apologies if this is a duplicate...

First, assume that you are addressing a satellite newbie. My only conscious prior connection to satellites was using GPS....

The specific Georgetown model is a 335, but there may be similarities to other Georgetown units.

Just spent two weeks in the Florida keys, no TV. This has me considering a satellite (DISH network?).

When I spoke with someone from DISH, they seemed to be saying that I will need to run HDMI cables from their box to the TV. I noticed that the selector box above the navigator's seat has an option marked "aux/satellite". I also noticed that the cables running to and from that box seem to be coax. Has anyone used the selector box to feed satellite to the TV, or do I need to run HDMI cables? Is the input for the selector box the same as the cable input?

If you ran cables, how did you route them?

Reception and interference from weather using an open faced dish versus self contained self aligning model (Tailgater)?

Dish service / support experience? Anyone else offer month to month service?

What else do I need to know?

Old 02-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #2

If your sat receiver has both HDMI and coax outputs either can be used. However; HDMI is required for HD viewing. Using the coax output will give you SD viewing. I just view SD through the coax. Routing HDMI would be a bear for my unit. I want both my TV's to have sat input so the incoming cable to the source selector (in the overhead cabinet) is where I pick up the cable for the receiver input and jumper the coax receiver output to the source selector. My splitter for the other TV is down stream of the source selector.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #3

A picture is worth 1,000 words
Attached Images

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
A picture is worth 1,000 words
Great. But your picture does not account for the sat receiver coax output if it has one and the OP wants to put the rec in the overhead.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #5

You can use a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver. This way you can watch HD on your TV without running an HDMI cable. This is what I did so I could have HD on all 3 TVs in my 378xl.
Though I used a little different configuration than what you want it is the same setup.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #6

Similar Experience

First off just left the Keys and was told beforehand about the need for satellite TV. So we signed up for Dish, got the Tailgater, made a nice mount that attaches to the ladder and then found the problems.

Problem 1. The new and I believe only receiver being current sold by Dish is the VIP211z. Great - it suppose to reduce heat, give faster service, etc etc. Problem - it only has HDMI output!!! On our 351 we only have coaxial cables.

Solutions:

1. Modulator. I connected a fairly low cost modular to the composite side of the VIP211z (the red, white, yellow). I then attached a coax cable from the modulator into the built in switcher. So now I have a coax signal going throughout my coach.

2. Actiontec HDMI Wireless Kit. I wanted HDMI for our living room TV. So I purchased the kit and attached the transmitter to the back side of the VIP211z and attached the receiver to the living room TV. Nice picture.

Problem 2. Poor picture quality (without regard to being Sat or Cable) in bedroom. Still working on this. See my other posts.

Solutions:

None so far.

We went with the Dish Tailgater with a concern. The concern was the Tailgater would grow legs and walk off. Thus I built the ladder mount. After using this DIY - Dish Tailgater is way cheaper and much better for reception (movable in a pinch vs perm mounted on roof). Add in the $7 per month pay when you use and ease of changing local channel coverage - Dish was an easy choice.

I've attached some pics to help.

Pic 1 - rearview of the VIP211z

Pic 2 - ladder mount (cost is about $100 to build). Link Tailgater home made ladder mount - iRV2 Forums

Pic 3 - modulator Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...X2F279V14K5RCF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TailgaterMount.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	69714   Click image for larger version

Name:	211z_back_diagram_lg__56576.1405464201.1280.1280.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	69715  
Old 02-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Made a front mount and a ladder mount for our Tailgater. The ladder mount will go in 3 different locations, but after 3 months, have only used the lower one. Ladder mount will go in the upper ladder stand offs or clear on the top of the ladder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01220.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	69716   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01221.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	69717   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01223.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	69718   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01337.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	69719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinbox Thingy.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	69720  

Old 02-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #8

Nice mount OldCoot - nice mount. Probably a little less expensive being I used a flag mount kit for my mast.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
WDK

....definitely cheaper but it seems like a lot more time and effort in the set up than a permanently installed roof top dish.

WDK
Old 02-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #10

Have Comcast at home. RV has 2 receivers, 211z. One in BR and one in LR. I have the Winegard Pathways x2 fully automatic satellite dish. It supports 2 TV's and BOTH ARCS.
Your local channels come from a signal sent by Dish to your receiver.
The only pain is you call them and provide local zip code and in 10 minutes, locals.
I do not use pay as you go. With Dish on a monthly plan you can "pause" and re activate. After being with them 5 years in the RV(s), I am comfortable with them. I OWN both 211z's Which are less than $100 each and my Winegard Pathways x2. $450 plus stand $70 + chain and 2 locks 😳

Tags
satellite