Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Scariest drive

What is the scariest thing you've done in your Georgetown?

Has anyone driven the North Entrance Road from Gardiner, MT into Yellowstone NP?

I've never been as scared as the day I drove that. A very narrow road, one lane each way and lots of traffic both ways. And the only entrance to the park for hundred of miles. They really need to fix that road it's ridiculous.

I drove most of the other major roads in Yellowstone without any trouble but that one was a white knuckler. Coming back out at night wasn't as bad because there was no traffic so I could go down the center of the road a lot.

Here is a map of the road I'm talking about. You can drag the little street view guy onto the road to see what it looks like. Check out the very curvy areas.
Google Maps

The west entrance was fine, large roads lots of room. The south way out over the national divide and down into Jackson wasn't bad either.

2008 Georgetown SE 350DS BunkHouse
jsutherl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member
I won't take credit for creating my scariest moment. I'll leave that to the idiot a few years back on Rte 29 in VA. that decided not to turn right after putting on his blinker, getting in the right turn lane and then at the last moment yanks the wheel and stops dead at a green traffic light.
Speed limit is 45 and on the other side of the light it's 60 and there's a hill. I start picking up speed to climb the hill with a green light. He's turning right, not from my lane but the right turn lane. All of sudden he yanks his wheel back to my lane and stops at the light that was still green. I literally was standing on the brakes to keep from hitting him. I have no other lane to switch to because everyone else is avoiding me. I stopped inches from his rear, the light turns yellow and he pulls off.
I'm trying to begin breathing again as he leaves up the hill. I really wanted to get out and smack him upside his head. My luck the echo would have killed him and I'd be doing time!

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
Looks like a great drive from the overhead view!

Worse road for me was 321 around Cosby TN. this road is very narrow and the speeds are 45mph!!! if you have 2 trucks/RV`s going by at the same time you better be a good judge at how much room you will have between the oncoming traffic and the dropoff shoulder! crazy!
02 Ford Excursion V-10 4.30 gears 5 Star Tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar Rear Airbags
Prodigy and Dual Cam
07 Cherokee 32B
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
Hwy 82 east of Aspen, Colorado ain't no picnic either!
The road is only a lane-and-a-half in some places, so imagine meeting a semi there!
And it tops out at about 12,000 ft at the pass, so you had better have a diesel, or at least a turbocharged gas, as your normally-aspirated engine won't be making much power up there!

Or for more sustained thrills, the Ouray to Durango trip can't be beat.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
I've only had the Georgetown for a year, and I haven't had any scary experiences yet. My scariest experience in the old Winnebago, though, had to be when I passed a burning car on a freeway while returning from a service appointment about 2 years ago. I had just left the RV dealer after getting some repair work done on my motorhome, and was merging onto the highway to head for home. I noticed that there was a backup of traffic, and was worried that an accident was going to delay things. Then, I noticed just ahead that there was smoke on the right shoulder. I squeezed over into the traffic on the left lane and slowly approached the scene. I noticed about 3 vehicles pulled over and several people standing by the side of the road. I also noticed that one of the vehicles was on fire. I mean, I haven't seen a car fire like this except maybe in the movies; the entire car was engulfed in flames, and there were no police or fire vehicles yet at the scene. Just as I passed the car, I heard a pop and the flames suddenly jumped about 10 feet into the air. I could feel the heat and realized that my propane tank was on that side, only about 12 feet from the flames. I made it safely past, and started to breathe again.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
The "Beartooth Highway"! We did that two years ago, towing our dinghy with our older 2000 Georgetown.

My hands are still sore from gripping the wheel, and my DW took pics of the GPS showing 11,900 ft!

The worst part of it was that the AAA routed us that way.

We drove all the way from just outside the Little Bighorn site to Afton, Wyoming until we found a campsite that night.

What a ride!
2005 Georgetown 342DS XL, Full Banks Package
2005 Liberty Renegade 4X Toad
1989 Wrangler Sahara Toad
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
Driving my G-Town through our 10 foot gate with my son-in-law guiding me. Don't know to this day how I backed it off the post with only a tiny scratch on the door. The gate is 14 foot wide now.
RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
yesterday we had a ride from hell... driving in NM headwind of 50mph gusting to 70mph could only go 30mph and a sand storm which sand blasted my RV...i know I should have stopped but had no where to pull over to...gess next time I will read the weather report more carefully...but we found a place had a few drinks and was able to put that scary moment behind us..

knmartens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
Changing drivers at 55 MPH..!! No wait...that's not the scariest, it should be classified as the stupidest...!!!

jd-ford-hd is offline   Reply With Quote