Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Scooter?

I have been thinking about taking a small gas scooter along for transportation around campgrounds and quick trips to the store. I was thinking a 50cc due to street legal but no need for license plates or motorcycle license in TN. Low weight should mean I could carry on motorcycle carrier that fits in hitch. Does anyone have one? Any recommedations?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
I have been thinking about taking a small gas scooter along for transportation around campgrounds and quick trips to the store. I was thinking a 50cc due to street legal but no need for license plates or motorcycle license in TN. Low weight should mean I could carry on motorcycle carrier that fits in hitch. Does anyone have one? Any recommedations?
What camper are you mounting it on?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #3

We have a Georgetown 350TS 2011.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #4

Here's a pic of our Scooter.

He rides in the truck with us.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

I did a quick search on The Original RV Wholesalers - RV Sales, RV Parts, RV Dealer, RV Super Store Dealer, 5th Wheel, Forest River but didn't find anything except the usual cargo hitch mounts. You might give them a call, 877-877-4494. If they don't have what you need they may be able to refer you to someone who does.
Good luck.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

My wife and I both have 50cc scooters and we have a bumper pull trailer. We haul the scooters in the bed of my truck. I know this doesn't address your issue with your motorhome, but just wanted to report that we love to use our scooters when we camp. You have to check different states' laws, however, because some require that you have a license. Nevada's laws are the same as yours, but, for example, we had to buy temporary licences in OR when we went camping there. Also, helmet laws are different in various states, and you need to check that out also.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #6

RudysWorld, there is a similar discussion over on the Sunseeker section at

carrry a motorcycle - Forest River Forums

Here is a thread I started with more information.

Recommended hitch carry rack for motorcycle?

Hope this helps some.
Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
E/SA DART

I have and used scooters for many years running around racetrak pits. If weight is a factor (120 lbs) try and find a used Yamaha Jog 1991 to 2000 or a Honda Aero 50 both are powerful and very dependable. if weight is not an issue a Honda Ruckus or a Yamaha Zuma are great (200lb) hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #8

I have a 2004 Yamaha Zuma 50cc and just love it. Light weight enough to load in in back of truck or toyhauler by self. I have a front hitch and sometimes haul on a front motorcycle rack. I have a windshield which helps some if windy or rainy (but I try to avoid that). The Zuma is a two stroke engine with oil injection. Virtually no maintenance and gives a little better speed and performance than the 4 stroke counterparts. When I purchaced 4 years ago, it had about 1200 miles on it. Now it is over 4500 miles...I use it a lot.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #9

Scooters

Hubby and I take two scooters (50 cc) with us on our motorhome. Have had no problems and love the convenience. Bought a versahaul double scooter carrier (which cost almost as much as one scooter) with a ramp. Makes it easy to take on and off and the combination of the two scooters and carrier is less than 500 lbs. on the hitch. We checked around before we bought the carrier and would advise staying away from the cheaper models. The versahaul is a quality product and worth the extra cost.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #10

Also keep in mind there are a few campgrounds that do not allow motorcycles or gas scooters to be driven within the campground.