Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #1

Security for the Motorhome

What did you upgrade or add to your home to make it safer? Do I need to add additional door locks? What about the cargo doors? Please share your experiences. I have the Georgetown 360Xl 2013
I know from our store, they tried to pry open both our doors. I had to drill a steel rod into the concrete and secure to the door to stop that.

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

If you have people prying open doors not much in the way of lock changes will help. I would look for more secure storage.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #3

we all have the same key

Many people do not know this but Forest River use the same key for the basement and main door lock on all motorhomes. The door dead bolt is the only unique key. While at an FMCA rally I had my unit re keyed. Keeps the honest and slightly dishonest people out, of course does not stop a hammer and crow bar.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

The CH751 issue is well known in the industry.

Cam Locks / Camlocks,Cabinet Locks,Furniture Locks,Hinges,Pulls,Handle Locks,Drawer Locks

My point is; that if storage is so insecure folks are plying doors open, no lock in the world will keep theives that determined to break in; out. They will just bash in a window.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
My point is; that if storage is so insecure folks are plying doors open, no lock in the world will keep theives that determined to break in; out. They will just bash in a window.
X2. We just had our trailer broken into 2 weeks ago. They busted the window and reached in and unlocked the door. It doesn't take much to pry open any RV door. All it takes is a screwdriver or crow bar and it makes a lot more damage. I am moving my unit to more secure storage. I am also going to make up a sign to display on the outsides stating it was already broken into and all valuables were removed or taken.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #6

Just a little sidebar story that happened to me on Saturday. We left our house early Saturday morning for a full day of Christmas shopping. I always back my cars in the driveway , so on exit I didn't look back at the house. When we returned to the house at 10PM, we noticed the garage door open. Yes folks, my bad, I left the garage door open. (well , I got blamed for it, but I didn't even know my wife came out through the garage door. I was sitting in the car waiting. Anyway, thats another story) To make a long story shorter, everything was exposed to the thieves. My motorcycle, summer tires for the car, all my tools and other garage paraphernalia were in open site, not to mention full access to the rest of the house. Lucky for me, everything remained intact. Lesson learned, I hope. I do have good locks on the house, but if you don't use them, all security fails. Sorry if I hijacked your thread.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #7

unique locks

As I stated you can not keep out the person that has a hammer and crowbar but no matter how much you poo poo it I like having unique locks on my rig. Also it may be well know in the industry but I did not know it until someone told me. Remember not everyone is as well informed and this is good information to restate.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #8

I never lock anything. Two big dogs feed them twice A week works great
Old 12-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
I never lock anything. Two big dogs feed them twice A week works great
I have a cattle dog that has never met anyone she liked. On top of this she has lost her hearing so I can no longer call her off. So intruder beware. I even put a sign in the window.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #10

At home I have the MH parked between the garage and the house on a pad and I have a security camera aimed from the back of the garage on the back of the MH wide lense so I can see three sides of the MH on the monitor in the house. Also helps that my neighbor is a Police Officer.

Closed Thread